Staple Healthy Foods

Options
rpottr
rpottr Posts: 11 Member
What is one food you always have in your fridge/cupboard? I'm looking to add to my new healthy food grocery list and would love to know everyone's go-to food items!

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Raw nuts, eggs, cooked chicken strips, avocados, green chili, feta and goat cheese, simply protein bars, cashew milk, dark chocolate, jerky, almond butter, zucchini, tomatoes and coconut oil.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rpottr wrote: »
    What is one food you always have in your fridge/cupboard? I'm looking to add to my new healthy food grocery list and would love to know everyone's go-to food items!
    I always - ALWAYS have a liter of fresh juice that I made myself with my home juicer.
    Every morning I juice a fruit mix, then blend in whole, fresh veggies.
    Today I juiced blueberries, apples and strawberries and blended that with kale, spinach, carrots and beets. The fruit pulp is for baking whole grain breads.

Another staple I keep handy are sardines. I add them to everything to up the protein of any meal.
    And finally, I keep a jar of mixed nuts with me for a fast, healthy jolt of calories at any time.

And speaking of nuts, normal people think I'm nuts... ;)

• MsJoisey
    MsJoisey Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, oatmeal, walnuts, natural peanut butter, dark chocolate, chicken breasts, low sodium, fat free chicken broth. Now that the farmers market in my area is back, I go there for fruits and vegetables.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Coffee, 18% cream, plain yogurt, frozen berries, potatoes, wheat squares, tofu, vegetables (I switch these up for variety, but greens and broccoli are my favourite), and fruit (my favourites are apples, pears, grapes, and cherries)
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    One?
    This stuff is all year. Other produce is mostly seasonal
    Grains
    • grits/polenta
    • whole wheat flour
    • whole grain cornmeal
    • masa harina
    • steel cut oats
    Produce
    • onions
    • garlic
    • celery
    • carrots
    • peppers
    • canned tomatoes
    • dried tomatoes
    • raisins
    • frozen WILD blueberries
    Dairy
    • milk, 2%
    • yogurt, low fat
    • eggs
    • parmesan
    • cheddar
    Meat
    • ground chuck
    • chicken thighs
    • pork chops
    • ham hocks
    • sausage; andouille, Italian, chorizo
    • canned tuna
    Vinegar
    • red wine
    • white wine
    • balsamic
    • apple cider
    • white distilled
    Other
    • extra virgin olive oil
    • peanut oil
    • peanut butter
    • fruit preserves
    Edit forgot beans & rice
    Rice, brown long grain, basmati
    Dried beans
    • pintos
    • kidney beans
    • black beans
    • black-eyed peas
    • chickpeas
    • navy
    • butter (large limas)
    • split peas

• kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Dairy:
    - Low fat quark
    - Low fat flavored quark
    - Almond milk
    - Eggs
    - Usually some feta or cottage cheese

Meat, fish, poultry (usually 2-3 of those):
    - Chicken breast
    - Extra lean ground beef
    - Prawns (freezer)
    - Smoked salmon or trout
    - Canned tuna
    - Canned ansjovis or sardines

Fruit & veg:
    - Bananas
    - Berries
    - Apples
    - Carrots
    - Onions
    - Bell pepper
    - Zucchini
    - Eggplant
    - Lemons
    - Garlic
    - Frozen peas
    - Lettuce
    - Canned tomatoes

Pantry/other:
    - Canned lentils
    - Canned butter beans
    - Canned chickpeas
    - Canned kidney and/or black beans
    - Capers
    - Muesli
    - Wholewheat pasta
    - Pearl couscous
    - Basmati rice
    - Vinegar
    - Cooking spray
    - Spices, curry pastes, mustard etc.
    - Olives
    - Peanut butter
    - Rice cakes
    - Tahini
    - Walden Farms syrup
    - Protein bars
    - Wholewheat flour
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There are some other similar threads that have existed on this topic that might be worth seeking out (too bad it can be hard to find threads sometimes). Mine:

Seasoning-type stuff

Olive oil
    Coconut oil
    vinegars
    various herbs and spices
    pepper sauces/sriracha
    soy sauce
    fish sauce
    lemons and/or limes
    mustards (I have lots)

Pantry staples

whole wheat pasta
    steel cut oats
    dried lentils
    other dried beans or the like (chickpeas, split peas, etc.)
    rice or quinoa or barley
    canned tomatoes
    nuts of various sorts
    Quest bars
    protein powder
    sardines
    herring

Perishables-always there

Eggs
    cottage cheese (lowfat, usually)
    Fage 2% or 0% plain greek yogurt
    smoked salmon
    feta cheese
    some other sort of cheese
    butter (sometimes)
    potatoes/sweet potatoes (or if in season only, corn)
    olives
    tofu

Perishables--depends on season, constantly alternating

whatever fruit is in season (in winter I tend to eat blueberries, applies, and bananas the most)
    whatever veggies are in season (if it's winter I tend to do a lot of broccoli, spinach and other greens, cauliflower, brussels, zucchini and squash, as those are reasonably reliable, but I try to get as much of a variety as possible)
    fish/shellfish
    meat (I tend to get this from a local farm based on what they have/what sounds good), keep it in the freezer, and take it out based on what I plan to use that week and defrosting time

Extras

I usually have a couple kinds of ice cream in my freezer
    Coffee-whole beans
    Various kinds of tea

I'm sure there's more, but these are what come to mind and probably the vast majority of what's in my house at any time. I tend not to have flour or sugar or other baking staples on hand since I just don't bake much anymore. I'll buy it specially if I need it.
  • rpottr
    Options
    I always - ALWAYS have a liter of fresh juice that I made myself with my home juicer.
    Today I juiced blueberries, apples and strawberries and blended that with kale, spinach, carrots and beets. The fruit pulp is for baking whole grain breads.

Another staple I keep handy are sardines. I add them to everything to up the protein of any meal.
    And finally, I keep a jar of mixed nuts with me for a fast, healthy jolt of calories at any time.

I would LOVE to own a juicer - it's the next kitchen aid attachment on the list... Awesome routine!
  • rpottr
    Options
    MsJoisey wrote: »
    Greek yogurt, oatmeal, walnuts, natural peanut butter, dark chocolate, chicken breasts, low sodium, fat free chicken broth. Now that the farmers market in my area is back, I go there for fruits and vegetables.

Farmer's markets are fabulous! We have a few too and I'm planning to check one out tomorrow :) thanks!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    well pretty much what everyone said, but just to add, what can not be missing is a box of granola in my car, or some sort of snack to eat in case of emergency from my purse.

• ddmusica
    ddmusica Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs
    Apples
    Almonds
    Granola
    Salmon
    Avocado
    Green beans
    Black beans
    COFFEE:)
  • rpottr
    Options
    @lemurcat12 I confess I didn't scroll too far to find a similar thread, but I will! Thank you!

Thanks everyone for all the amazing lists. I didn't expect such long ones and I appreciate all that effort :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    One food? I can't even think which one food I'd choose. We usually have enough food that we could be stuck at home for months and still eat well. :D We are never without a variety of whole grains, vegetables and fruit (fresh, frozen and canned), meat/seafood, spices, pasta, beans (dried and canned), wine, beer, tea, coffee, maple syrup, greek yogurt, high fiber cereals, whole grain bread, vegetable oils (olive, canola, peanut, sesame), butter and margarine, eggs, almond or soy milk.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    apples, tuna, low fat milk, coffee. I always eat out but somehow there's always canned tuna around
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Just one?

I always, always have fresh spinach.

And avocados.

And eggs.

Never wake up and don't have those 3 in the house.
  • lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I used to do this and everyone thought I was nuts too.

For me, a jar of plain unsalted mixed nuts, spinach, celery, cucumber, and sweet potatoes.