How to start being healthy when you have no motivation at all!

Options
I don't know what to do, I'm so unmotivated to workout. I mean, I know I should and my health needs me too, but I can't figure out why my head doesn't get on board. Does anyone else out there hate exercising? Because I HATE it and I don't know why. Am I alone?

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not required for weight loss.

Find something that you like to do that happens to be active, like hiking or dancing or archery or golf or whatever.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    What do you think of as exercising? Is it going to the gym and lifting weights, running three miles, getting a personal trainer? How about just walking for a 1/2 hour 3-4 times per week? It doesn't have to be some big deal.

If weight loss is your only goal, you don't even have to exercise at all. I would say - exercise makes losing weight a bit easier (particularly when it comes to keeping it off), but again, absolutely not necessary for weight loss.
  • YummyMummyXox
    YummyMummyXox Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used 100% hate it! I started walking and realised its actually therapeutic and enjoyable and then when I was brave enough, I joined the gym, makes me feel better when I've been now. I couldn't go for a couple of months (bad hip) and I really missed it. Started again today :D.

Good luck
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy. I love zoning out on a treadmill. My best friend loves Zumba. But when we do each others favorite, we despise it. I hate HATE Zumba. And it's torture for her to do a treadmill. Find what you like.
    Right now, with no gym access, I go on evening walks with my husband. Just fast enough to get my heart going, and work up a good sweat.
  • eliaus3640
    eliaus3640 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Make small changed don't try to do it all at once. I started out by walking my dog and gradually increased the distance. A year from that I now workout 3-4 times a week in a gym and enjoy it. You just have to find something small you can do and work your way up to it sometimes. And keep it positive and enjoyable and something you can sustain
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens mostly in the kitchen. Exercise isn't necessicary for weight loss. Pretty much all of mine was done without exercise.

That being said, exercise has many other benefits, so ask yourself what do you like to do? Do you like to walk? Swim? Hike outdoors? Ride a bike? Roller skate? There's lots of things you can do for exercise, the trick is finding something you enjoy. I don't enjoy any of it, really, but I've got a story app I listen to when I walk, and that keeps me going out and walking. I've found if my brain focuses on something else, it's much easier for me. So maybe try that. Book on tape, music, something to keep your brain occupied instead of thinking of how much you don't like exercise. You can also start small. Something like go outside, walk in a random direction for 10 minutes, turn and walk back. Congrats, you've just walked 20 minutes! Get yourself used to that, then up the time limit. That and something to occupy your mind might help you get started.
  • leanlicorice
    leanlicorice Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree with all previous posters' advice. Start small, find something you love OR find the least objectionable and gradually increase.

My addition is to be mindful about the effect exercise has on you to increase motivation. Note how you feel just before you exericse (can be a scale out of 10 - 1 very poor; 10 excellent) and do the same after you exercise. I would be very surprised if you don't feel a little better. Then remember that each time you are trying to get motivated.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I agree with all previous posters' advice. Start small, find something you love OR find the least objectionable and gradually increase.

My addition is to be mindful about the effect exercise has on you to increase motivation. Note how you feel just before you exericse (can be a scale out of 10 - 1 very poor; 10 excellent) and do the same after you exercise. I would be very surprised if you don't feel a little better. Then remember that each time you are trying to get motivated.

Yeah, I never feel better after a walk. Seriously, I get home and flop on couch for 20 minutes trying to recover. And this is with me having used my inhaler and keeping hydrated. However, change has happened slowly. After a semester of walking class (walking for an hour or so once a week), I can now walk at my husband's walking speed. That's a visible improvement for me, but it took several months to get there. And it doesn't matter what exercise I do, I always feel miserable afterwards. That's part of why I didn't exercise for the longest time. But I'm starting to see long term positive changes, and that helps a lot.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I started walking because my knees would hurt when I ran. Started playing Ingress.com when walking for fun. I started running small intervals and without realizing it, became a runner. I like being outside and just taking random paths or trails. Just bought a bike and had forgotten how fun it is to ride. Its never fun starting out but as you build up exercise feeds on itself. Its addictive!
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm another one that never feels better afterwards and I hate exercise more than just about anything else I can think of. I probably have dopamine issues, though. If you have no motivation because of anhedonia, you might not get any of the good feelings either (but most people do, from what I can tell).

What I do like about it when I can stick to it for a while is the strength improvements. While it takes quite some time to see any visual improvements to my figure, you get a near immediate increase in your strength in the beginning. Every time you go in, you can do more than you did before. Being able to lift more and more makes me feel like a badass, even if it wipes me out and makes me feel miserable.... and that powered me through some petulance more than once. :)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Good playlist. Always gets me motivated.