When to start buying new clothes

Options
Hi everyone,

So I've lost around 40 lbs and haven't felt this great in a long time. All my clothes are getting pretty baggy. Luckily my pants were originally tight so they aren't incredibly loose but they still need a tight belt. So I was wondering when should I start to buy new clothes? I don't really have the budget to buy much and if I continue losing weight than I'll just be in the same boat with my new clothes. What is everyone's experience with clothes and weight loss, like when do you decide to start buying new clothes, etc?

Thanks!

Replies

• metcastillon
    metcastillon Posts: 44 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I feel similar, I can't spend money on any new clothes. But, I've read here on MFP that many people head to thrift stores and will buy clothes from there. The clothes are affordable and you can go back in a few months and donate your old clothes and replenish your own!

On a personal note, I intend to head to my local thrift store to get an outfit as a reward when I reach a certain milestone with my weight loss.

Congratulations on the 40 pound weight loss!!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am constantly going through clothes. I don't get people who say, "Just wear a belt!" and wonder if they've actually tried that. When the clothes are too big, they slip and the belt is above them. If you have something tucked in, you'll just look stupid, but if you're untucked, the belt rubs on your abdomen. The belt thing is only good through like one size down. For me, anyway.

It gets very expensive replacing all the shirts, shorts, pants, jackets, bras, underwear and sometimes shoes. Very expensive.

I try to buy a lot at Wal-Mart and on eBay. I sell on eBay, too. It just sucks buying things, wearing them a handful of times and then getting rid of them, especially if you LIKE the stuff. I've started buying things I like in several sizes so I don't have to get rid of them when I lose weight. When I ordered size 14 shorts, I bought 12s and 10s, too. That's helpful. :)

I no longer buy used clothes from people on eBay who sell tons of them. They lie about the condition and frequently starch nylon shorts to make them look better in pics and then the shorts suck. If I see "EUC" in the title, I skip it, lol. Be careful when you buy on eBay. Use some sense. If all their clothes say that the item is in excellent condition and they have bunches of men's, women's and children's sizes, be double careful.

I get a lot of great things on eBay, but I've been screwed, too.

The Wal-mart clothes fit surprisingly well! They hold up better than Kohl's, which started falling apart after one washing. I think I'll always buy some tops at Wal-Mart, though. I'm glad I started buying tops there.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    When your belt runs out of holes and your pants fall off your butt:) I shopped at thrift stores because buying new clothing every time gets pretty expensive. Congrats on the weight loss!!
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Oh..go to the thrift stores! I just lost 55 pounds, and have made a third trip for smaller clothes. Why spend retail $$ if they are just temporary clothing?
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I find that I feel more confident when my clothes fit better, and that the expense of smaller clothes was worth it. I think metcastillon makes a good point on trading in your old clothes. It can be extra motivation to stay on track if you know you will have to go out and get new ones again should you gain :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If you need a belt, you could probably stand to get some new pants. What I did is buy a couple at a time and slowly phase out the larger size. If you have a lot more to lose and anticipate going down to smaller sizes, thrift stores are probably a good place to get some in-between clothes. Having clothes that fit, even if they're used, will make a vast difference in how you see yourself. I couldn't see my weight loss in my larger clothes because the bagginess covered it up. Putting on some pants and a shirt that actually fit gave me a pleasant surprise in the mirror!
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

So I've lost around 40 lbs and haven't felt this great in a long time. All my clothes are getting pretty baggy. Luckily my pants were originally tight so they aren't incredibly loose but they still need a tight belt. So I was wondering when should I start to buy new clothes? I don't really have the budget to buy much and if I continue losing weight than I'll just be in the same boat with my new clothes. What is everyone's experience with clothes and weight loss, like when do you decide to start buying new clothes, etc?

Thanks!

Goodwill, and other thrift stores, are your friends. Especially if you plan on losing more, I would hate to spend major $$ on a new wardrobe to have it all be too big in another couple of months or so.
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Goodwill, and other thrift stores, are your friends. Especially if you plan on losing more, I would hate to spend major $$ on a new wardrobe to have it all be too big in another couple of months or so.

Just wanted to add, when you lose weight and buy clothes that fit and aren't too loose, you and others will notice and it will encourage you on your journey. So yes, buy some new clothes now.
  • GeddesFit
    GeddesFit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm saving my money up to go on a big spree once I hit my goal weight. Until then I plan to buy no more clothing. Not sure how I'm going to manage as the sizes come off but I work from home so I mostly currently wear lounge pants that can easily be made tighter and I have maxi skirts etc for the weekends
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Definitely head to a thrift store, and grab a few basics. Get on a mailing list so you get coupons & know when their sales are. Don't feel like you need to replace your entire wardrobe, just a few outfits you can live in until they outgrow you. I had to buy (mostly jeans) in 2 different sizes before I hit goal. When you hit goal, you can start slowly replacing your wardrobe. I suggest slowly, because you might discover new tastes and styles along with your new body!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    skirts and dresses.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    40 lbs is about when I finally had to buy new clothes. Depending on how much more you plan to lose, I second the thrift store idea. I bought way too many clothes when I lost 40 lbs. I initially only wanted to get under 200, so I was only 20 lbs away. Then I continued to lose until I hit 165. Needless to say I have a bunch of new clothes that don't fit.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I got a bunch of cheap stuff from thred up .com, I think that was the name. Cheap name brand stuff that may have slight defects like fading, but nothing noticeable I could find. I got 40% off as a first time buyer so super cheap. I also have had success on our local Facebook garage sale group.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I get new clothes as the old ones don't fit. I refuse to look sloppy and simply can't afford to look sloppy as I have a job where I'm expected to look presentable.

If budget is a problem, I will echo the call to go to thrift shops. Also, keeping your wardrobe super simple helps as well. Plain t-shirts can be worn to work with a jacket or thin twinset-type cardigan over top. Then you can wear them in off hours with jeans/shorts and no jacket/sweater. As you head into colder weather the jacket/sweater will cover up some of the bagginess and extend their wear time despite you losing more weight.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I was ok for a while because my sister gave me a ton of hand me downs. But none of those fit anymore!

Lately, I've been going to Goodwill when I feel like I need to replace something. My last trip I got: 3 pairs of dress pants, 4 blouses, 2 sweaters, and a pair of jeans for $50. And a lot of them are name brand stuff. The pants I'm wearing today I got from Goodwill and are from Banana Republic. These are clothes I wouldn't buy on my normal budget.

It's so worth it. Spending a little bit of money to keep you looking good will help you keep going. I just so many "you've lost weight!" comments when I start wearing clothes that fit correctly. It's a motivation booster.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I've lost 31 lbs and went down about 3 sizes (I'm also very short).

I recently went through my closet and found pants I haven't worn in years...and now they fit. So I'm wearing those for now. Unfortunately, it appears I got rid of the next size down, so I guess when these are too big, I'll start shopping.

Also, I am about to end my corporate gig and will be wearing completely casual clothes in a few weeks, so I've let my work attire get way too big, but I was not about to spend more since I only have a few weeks left. If I wasn't leaving, I would definitely buy something now. The good thing about casual clothes is that I can get away with yoga/stretchy pants!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm down 24.5 lbs now. I have bought new underwear and 1 pair of leggings. My shirts are getting too big but I still wear them. My pants and shorts all fit okay still because they were stretchy. I will probably buy some new clothes in a month or two.
    If my pants were falling off without a belt then I would get stuff that fit or get them altered.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    For the most part, when I could feel my clothes starting to get too big, I would purchase a new pair, smaller size. For a few months I would wear some baggier pants and smaller pants. I would eventually grow out of the old stuff and fit the originally smaller pants and then those would become too big, repeat.

Basically, whenever I went shopping - I would by a few items I liked always in smaller sizes. Like someone mentioned above, if I really liked the item, I would buy in a few different sizes. I really liked my black pants and they were on a fall sale for 10$ a piece, so of course I bought a size 12, 10 and 8. I eventually grew out of all of them.

Now I just wear leggings and tunics/dresses with boots. I will buy more pants when I reach my goal weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Goodwill. I'd also get favorites/expensive/good quality clothes taken in.

Another option is clothing swaps with friends - I've given clothes that no longer fit me away and received clothes from other people.