Looking for Friends to motivate!

Options
Hi,
I have been on MFP most of this year but have not really been using it until now. I am what I guess people call a yo-yo dieter. I try to lose weight, get frustrated and then end up worse off then when I started. I was 220 after my son was born (I had been yo-yoing between 190 and 230 before I got pregnant), then my weight started creeping up after I got a divorce. 2 years later and I was at 260. I started a diet plan with my doctor that had me taking appetite suppressants and anti-anxiety meds, which I hated, and failed that after about 15lbs lost because I refused to take the pills anymore. After that I went from under 250lbs to 327 lbs in about 3 years. My next diet, I hired a personal trainer and started eating what she said and I went from 327 lb to 290 lb, but she was expensive and I couldnt afford her anymore, I tried to keep going on my own but her diet plan was restrictive and I gave up again. I stopped for almost a year, then found MFP early this year. I read the starting posts and bought a food scale. I tried measuring EVERYTHING for a few weeks but honestly it got overwhelming, tiresome and annoying. After 3 weeks I had only lost 5 lbs and gave up.
I am hoping for some friends to help motivate me to keep going. I have a long road ahead of me, and I know if I have people who understand what I am doing to encourage, or give me the sometimes needed kick in the behind, I will do so much better. My husband, who is the sweetest and tries so hard to help, just doesn't get it. He weighs a 140 lbs and has never put on more than 5-10 lbs of fat in his life. All he says is just to cut out carbs and start working out. He means well, but having someone that has never had to lose weight tell me how to lose it is just making me angry.

Good Luck to everyone and thanks for listening to my sob story.

Replies

• angelaraedesigns
    angelaraedesigns Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I need support too. because it is a tough road ahead and I'm married to one of those too (140 and doesn't put on weight) He is super supportive and well, bless his heart still just doesn't get it, I mean really, how COULD someone that's never struggled with weight get it!

I feel like I've struggled with my weight my WHOLE life. yet I look back at pictures of myself in high school and on my honeymoon and I think, holy crap, I'd give anything to be that size now, and yet then I felt soooo fat. Talk about emotional baggage right there!

anyway, feel free to friend me. I feel like the only thing that works for me is 'mindset' when it comes to losing weight and keeping it off. And support from others going through a similar journey and hearing from those that are successful and hearing from those that have the same struggles are immensely helpful. Because when I 'give up' I really give up. I don't step on the scale and I eat everything my little heart desires. and then my clothes no longer fit me.

Right now, I'm logging in everyday. Counting every thing that I eat, and I'm on an aggressive plan to lose 10 pounds a month.
    I've tried 'slow and steady' and that doesn't work for me. So this plan that I'm on (started July2nd of this year) is fast and HARD......and incredibly effective. I've lost 13 pounds so far. This success I've had is what gets me through the hard parts....like spending the evening at my parents house where the most delicious food and wine is being served in abundance and there are countless reasons for celebration. That was hard, my friend. But I did it. I stuck with my plan and holy crap today I feel like I could take on the world. I'm a weight losing BEAST! ROAR! lol.

fyi, I don't think you have a 'sob story', I think it's a very real story and very real for a lot of us. I see myself in your story. We are all in this together.

wouldn't it be great if we could make this part....the part where we are changing our behavior and doing the hard work to lose weight FUN! how revolutionary. It's FUN to eat at a deficit! I'd love to brainstorm some weighs (ha ha see what I did there with 'ways') to make this crap fun.

for my first 13 pounds, every four pounds I lost, I celebrated with buying myself something. Started out small. But then the 'treats' started getting expensive...even though I was saving on groceries/booze.....I think those first 13 pounds cost a LOT more. I don't want to tally it up...but my hunch is that I can't afford to do that for the next 13 or the next, or the next. lol.

What are your thoughts for fun (preferably cheap) rewards?
  • keezo1
    keezo1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I too understand as i am with a man who is half my size with not an ounce of extra fat and abs to kill for,i feel embarrassed sometimes.He has loved me through what is about a 120 lbs weight gain over the years that we have been together.He is supportive but as you said he does not understand as he has never worried about his weight or even gained as much as 5 lbs in 8 years.Please feel free to add me as i am hoping to be here for the long haul,trying lose about 140 lbs.
  • katherinecriswell
    katherinecriswell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All these stories are so similar to mine. I have quite a bit to loose and have decided that success will be hard, long but necessary. My hubby is tall and trim (he hates when I say he is "skinny") and has never had a weight issue other than trying to gain muscle. He can not run for months and then go run 3 miles. I'm quite the opposite. Struggled most of my adult life and through 2 pregnancies. Have tried various diet plans over the years. Some were somewhat successful for a time. Have been on MFP for less than a week but realizing I will need some community support to help along the way. Would also love to encourage others along this same path. Please feel free to friend me.