Whole 30 program

Options

Replies

• kariker
    kariker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's not for everybody and you're definitely not going to get much support from the MFP forums but I've just started my second Whole30 and it works for me personally. I lost 16 lbs the first time I did and I felt really good. I had more energy and my skin looked better. I have bursitis in my hip and that felt better. It really cut back on my sugar cravings. I have no proof that this was a direct result of Whole30. Most of all it just changed the way I looked at food. It's definitely a personal thing though. I respond well to strict dietary guidelines. The hardest part for me was the alcohol which was surprising. I really did lose my sugar cravings. Again this is my opinion and what worked for me.
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nope. I think it is one of the worst diet programs out there. What's wrong with legumes? Seriously, they are low in calories, full of fibre and high in protein.

"Rule one: eat real foods (except for all the real foods we tell you not to eat)"

One of the many reasons I decided to not go full paleo. Peanuts and black beans are among my favorite foods.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Whole30 is just another diet fad. Here are some of their unfounded claims:
    • Do you have aches and pains that can’t be explained by over-use or injury? ...Are you having a hard time losing weight no matter how hard you try?...Do you have some sort of condition (like skin issues, digestive ailments, seasonal allergies or fertility issues) that medication hasn’t helped? These symptoms may be directly related to the foods you eat – even the “healthy” stuff.
    • Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days. Let your body heal and recover from whatever effects those foods may be causing.
    • Push the “reset” button with your metabolism, systemic inflammation, and the downstream effects of the food choices you’ve been making.
    • Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients. Continuing to eat your old, unhealthy foods made with Whole30 ingredients is totally missing the point, and will tank your results faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.” Remember, these are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, regardless of the ingredients.

You can't reset your metabolism. Your body doesn't know the difference between natural sugar in oranges and sugar in maple syrup. Your body doesn't know the difference between banana + oatmeal = cookies and eating a banana with some oatmeal.

I'm intrigued by the idea that legumes are "psychologically unhealthy." I mean, I love black bean soup, but I didn't think it rose to the level of a problem.

I know right? I looked the Whole30 up a while ago and that jumped off the page at me? WTF does "psychologically unhealthy" even mean in that context?
  • MyWhole30Journey
    MyWhole30Journey Posts: 175 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ceoverturf wrote: "And since the vast majority of the population has no food allergies and sugar and carb addictions are not real things, it would seem to be a poor choice of plan to follow."

I do have a sugar and carb addiction so I guess the fact that you feel they are "not real" addictions is mute. Since I have been on the Whole30 program, not DIET, I have been able to control those addictions. Americans in general are addicted to sugar and carbs, it's in everything, just read the labels. Why is it put in everything? Likely to make it addictive.

I also suffer from IBS and this way of eating has proven to be of great benefit to me. I have dealt with this issue for 33 years. Not wanting to take prescriptions which have side affects that in my opinion are far more devastating than the actual condition, I choose to control it with diet.

In addition, my husband had developed a "beer belly" that had him looking 6 months pregnant and feeling quite poorly about himself. He has been doing the Whole30 program for only 5 days now and has lost measurably from his waist. He is already looking better and feeling better.

Not all programs or "diets" are right for everyone, find what works for you and stick to it but don't knock the efforts of others who are, at least, trying. Good success on your journey people

• Bamthor1
    Bamthor1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Op on your weight loss. I'd suspect that like any diet when people come off W30 they tend to splurge because of the lack of restriction after 30 tough days. If people go slow and reintroduce new foods while watching their intake they won't gain the weight back. No different than any other diet. To the naysayers at the end of a day a diet that focuses on fresh veggies, organic proteins, and healthy fats is at least as good as Weight Watchers points or Slimfast shakes.
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've done it twice. I lost weight both times and my allergies and sleeping got better during it. I also found out I am sensitive to dairy. But like others have said if you aren't careful the reintroduction can be detrimental to your weightloss efforts.

I'm glad I did it but I won't do it again. Also you DO NOT need the book to do it. I never read the books. There's plenty of information on their site and recipes everywhere.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Started it yesterday. I do have an autoimmune disease and health reason for doing this. It is very important for people with autoimmune diseases or other chronic diseases to remove from your diet anything that would cause inflammation and further increase your body's "response" to itself. Also, important to note that people with AITD (like Hashimoto's) see if you are gluten-intolerant, as many (1/3) are and this will increase your thyroid antibodies.

In a lab test for a gluten intolerance, it may not even manifest unless your gut is pretty bad already (there's science behind this, too, but you can look it up if you're curious). So, take 30 days to figure it out, or spend hundreds on a test that may or may not even be accurate in the end... I'll just take the 30-day challenge.

Cheers to you for doing it and on your way to completing it! Wish me luck LOL!
  • 40gottogo
    40gottogo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not following it but would highly recommend it to those curious about it. One of the main reasons I'm not following it is because I'm experimenting how my body reacts to certain foods such as sprouted grains, nuts, and beans for now.

• 40gottogo
    Options
    It's working great. Down 13lbs. in 28 days
  • 40gottogo
    Options
    I should also add I haven't been on here for a while because I don't need to obsess over calories and track everything on whole 30. I've lost 4½ inches off my waist this month. I'm going to keep eating whole 30 and have occasional cheat meals. Lucky for me, I actually like most veggies and I'm a meat eater. Nothing wrong with good steak a couple times a week...yummm! Of course, not a bad idea to keep a log if what I eat just for reference as to what food choices really works the best for me.
  • 40gottogo
    Options
    40gottogo wrote: »
    Not following it but would highly recommend it to those curious about it. One of the main reasons I'm not following it is because I'm experimenting how my body reacts to certain foods such as sprouted grains, nuts, and beans for now.

• 40gottogo
    Options
    Saw your friend request today. Tried to accept. Wouldn't let me. Idk why.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This is just another 'fad' diet designed to sell cookbooks, home delivery paleo foods and various other non-necessary but expensive items.

I would never follow a way of eating that took away healthy grains, all beans, dairy and other healthy, nutritional foods. Eh, no thanks.

But I'm glad you found something you like?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ceoverturf wrote: "And since the vast majority of the population has no food allergies and sugar and carb addictions are not real things, it would seem to be a poor choice of plan to follow."

I do have a sugar and carb addiction so I guess the fact that you feel they are "not real" addictions is mute. Since I have been on the Whole30 program, not DIET, I have been able to control those addictions. Americans in general are addicted to sugar and carbs, it's in everything, just read the labels. Why is it put in everything? Likely to make it addictive.

I also suffer from IBS and this way of eating has proven to be of great benefit to me. I have dealt with this issue for 33 years. Not wanting to take prescriptions which have side affects that in my opinion are far more devastating than the actual condition, I choose to control it with diet.

In addition, my husband had developed a "beer belly" that had him looking 6 months pregnant and feeling quite poorly about himself. He has been doing the Whole30 program for only 5 days now and has lost measurably from his waist. He is already looking better and feeling better.

Not all programs or "diets" are right for everyone, find what works for you and stick to it but don't knock the efforts of others who are, at least, trying. Good success on your journey people

Please share what you mean by addiction here and what your experience is.

As for the whole foods 30, it's just another fad.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    40gottogo wrote: »
    I should also add I haven't been on here for a while because I don't need to obsess over calories and track everything on whole 30. I've lost 4½ inches off my waist this month. I'm going to keep eating whole 30 and have occasional cheat meals. Lucky for me, I actually like most veggies and I'm a meat eater. Nothing wrong with good steak a couple times a week...yummm! Of course, not a bad idea to keep a log if what I eat just for reference as to what food choices really works the best for me.

Congrats on your weight loss. Its not the type of diet that caused weight loss but that you've created a calorie deficit with the diet you chose. You can lose weight on any diet if you eat at a calorie deficit, or gain if you eat at a surplus.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was really stubborn about trying the Whole30. My sister, who is a PA, said all of her Dr's are recommending it, so she and my mom did it in May. My mom has lost 25 lbs and my sister has lost 15. I finally gave in and am on day 8. I said many of the same things...how can beans be bad for you, this is too strict, etc.

I read It Starts With Food over the weekend and I really recommend you read the book before passing judgement. The point of the book is that this is for 30 days, so you can see what negatively affects you. The term "bad psychological response" doesnt refer to beans at all if you read the book. The issue with beans is the Lectin. The psychological response issue deals primarily with grains, sugar and alcohol.

A main thing the book discusses is inflammation, which sometimes you don't have any outward symptoms. But chronic systemic inflammation causes a whole host of diseases. All of those "lifestyle diseases" that americans have are caused by inflammation.

I am not the person to debate all the sciency stuff, but seriously, if you are curious about it, read the book before starting the 30 days.
  • Mandyrose1983
    Mandyrose1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    abarriere wrote: »
    I was really stubborn about trying the Whole30. My sister, who is a PA, said all of her Dr's are recommending it, so she and my mom did it in May. My mom has lost 25 lbs and my sister has lost 15. I finally gave in and am on day 8. I said many of the same things...how can beans be bad for you, this is too strict, etc.

I read It Starts With Food over the weekend and I really recommend you read the book before passing judgement. The point of the book is that this is for 30 days, so you can see what negatively affects you. The term "bad psychological response" doesnt refer to beans at all if you read the book. The issue with beans is the Lectin. The psychological response issue deals primarily with grains, sugar and alcohol.

A main thing the book discusses is inflammation, which sometimes you don't have any outward symptoms. But chronic systemic inflammation causes a whole host of diseases. All of those "lifestyle diseases" that americans have are caused by inflammation.

I am not the person to debate all the sciency stuff, but seriously, if you are curious about it, read the book before starting the 30 days.

I bought the book. Reading it now
  • Kandierinc
    Kandierinc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did this last year with my husband, I bought and read the entire book, I stuck to the program for the entire 30 days with very few issues but as soon as I tried to get back to a normal lifestyle 'riding my own bike' as they put it I was in a terrible way. For about 6-8 weeks after my initial re-introduction I was miserable

At first everything I ate seemed to set me off and I kept a strict food diary and tried to keep to the whole 30 foods. I went to see a gastro doctor as I was at the end of my tether and he told me to try antacids for 2 weeks, these didn't seem to help or make things worse but after 2 weeks I stopped taking them as directed and slowly felt better. Leading up to this I had been slowly reintroducing items and now I seem to be OK with most things apart from rice.

To wrap up, although I agree with a lot of the principals around the Whole 30 and did feel really good while doing it the aftermath just wasn't worth it for me, I think the plan is far to restrictive and very hard to stick to long term and had I had any idea I would respond to the reintroduction the way I did I would never have done it. I did it as I wanted to improve what was already a pretty healthy lifestyle but still want to be able to treat myself now and again to a glass of wine or a bagel without being ill for 3 days after. I have a pretty good diet in general and even now I stick to whole clean foods and avoid the obvious bad food like junk foods and sugary nastiest but in my case I think everything in moderation for me equals a happier life.

Just as a side note my husband had no issues after doing the program and we both lost about 8-10 pounds but I will certainly never do such a restrictive 'cleanse' again. I think I could get the same results from eating clean with no alcohol and a decent amount of exercise in 30 days.
  • Kandierinc
    Kandierinc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bamthor1 wrote: »
    I'm doing it. Some people like the ridged structure others won't. It is healthy and works it is just hard like all restrictive diets. Main issue is energy loss from the lack of carbs.

This too, I could hardly exercise when doing this program - seems counter-intuitive for a lot of people interested in fitness & health.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    abarriere wrote: »
    I read It Starts With Food over the weekend and I really recommend you read the book before passing judgement.

I've read the book and thought it was full of poor arguments, especially re potatoes.

But I don't think there's any harm if you want to try it.

I do think there are more reputable and reliable ways to explore food sensitivities if you think you have them and if you know you are fine with legumes (which most people likely should eat more of) or dairy or wheat there's no reason to cut them out. But any short term dramatic change in diet (including going super low fat or super low carb) usually results in weight loss since people can't eat lots of foods they were used to eating and it takes a while to adjust and find new ways of eating where the calories creep up again.

I also think a lot of the current obsession with "inflammation" is nothing but woo -- people want to think there's some reason they are overweight beyond eating too much, so they want to think it's "inflammation" or "leaky gut" or some such. Usually they can't even explain what that means.