When to start buying new clothes

Options

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Goodwill seems to have a variety of clothes and many are new (leftover clearance itms from retail stores), almost new, or very good condition. I've gone from 3x to 14/16 in the past year. I go to GW every 1-2 weeks and almost always find something. Most stores have a separate section for active wear where you can get workout clothes including those made of the nice quick dry fabric. Prices are so low that I don't feel bad when I have to go retail to get a specific item that I can't find at GW, such as recently I needed a black skirt & couldn't find what I wanted.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    40 seems to be the magic number--I recently hit 40 lost and had to buy new belts and shorts. I had PLENTY of barely worn or never worn T shirts in the closet that never fit me to begin with, so I was covered there, but I'm definitely in need of more bottoms, belts, even underwear. Everything is falling off of me, and the person who commented that just wearing a tighter belt looks stupid is 100% correct. Everything just falls off of you anyway.

With fall and winter months coming up, I'm probably going to need new jeans, hoodies, etc. because I will be drowning in all that fabric if I stick with my old clothes. I even had to get my wedding ring resized because it was literally falling off my finger randomly.
  • DansLeSucre
    DansLeSucre Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A great seamstress can be an awesome friend. Taking in your old clothes systematically can save a lot of money. I had all of my bottoms taken in and then bought a few coordinating cheap tops until I could go out and buy new things.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Each size down, get new clothes. Unless you have a job/lifestyle where you can look like a slob in ill fitting clothes.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If the clothes you are currently wearing are still in good condition, you could also make a few bucks by selling them. Look for local yard sale groups on FB, a local consignment store, or put them on ebay. That will help offset some of the cost of purchasing new clothes.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I buy cheap, sales at old navy till I get to my goal. Everything looks better when it was on sale :p
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    thrift stores are your friend.

i refuse to look like a slob and buy clothes CONSTANTLY. but its mostly all from thrift stores ;)

i did recently purchase some new items (mostly tops and a couple of dresses) as I can wear them longer than pants (in terms of weight loss)
  • raindrop556
    raindrop556 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's answers! I will definitely check out my local goodwill and other thrift stores.
  • BrianaDuBois
    BrianaDuBois Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Even after I gained a ton of weight, I wouldn't come to terms with buying larger sized pants, so I was squeezing into my size 8's. Now, 30 lb down, I comfortably fit back into the 8's and they're starting to get roomy.
    To be honest, I prefer to wear somewhat expensive jeans and can't get on board with buying them only for them to sit in the closet in a few short months. As for shorts, I wear my gym shorts fairly often. I have a handful of dresses that are loose but I can still get away with it. I won't buy summer clothes at this point in the year, because it's almost over (at least in NY). Other than that, I wear strictly scrubs to work and thankfully those are supplied by my job, so I got new, smaller, ones.
    I have about 25 lb left to go. At that point, I plan on doing a recomp and getting a better shape which I'm sure will drop a size or 2. I'll definitely buy new clothes then and perhaps a few to get by before then.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I bought new jeans/shorts at the start of a new season because the old ones were falling off. Just a couple pairs to last me through the season (and cheap ones). Shirts I went pretty much from size 18 to size M, But I should have waited longer as they eventually got baggy too and I had to buy some size S.

Underwear I pretty much went from size 18 to the smallest size available in Hanes underwear LOL.
  • fortytillfabulous
    fortytillfabulous Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    skirts and dresses.
    Yes exactly! My plan was to reach my goal weight by end of September and during the process wear my dresses. I have a closet full of clothes from my pre-pregnancy days. In the mean time I wear dresses and buy cheap stuff from Target.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm all about looking good. I buy clothes no matter what I'm weighing. I can't help but style and profile, it's in my blood.
  • AngelaAlario
    AngelaAlario Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As a woman I will suggest buying dresses. There is a lot of room for losing (or gaining :-/) so you can buy something that will look good now and 20 pounds from now. Whatever you do, do NOT buy clothes that are a little tight now assuming you will lose weight and fit into them soon. All that will do is make you feel bad about all of your hard work and not fitting into "skinny" jeans. Take just a little bit of money to buy a pair of pants, dress, whatever that fits you now and feels good. Every week set aside $5 or $10 (money you might have previously spent on food) and save it to exclusively buy yourself new clothes in a month or two. You'll be glad you did and you absolutely DESERVE to splurge and buy some new clothes now for all of the hard work you've done!
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, do NOT buy clothes that are a little tight now assuming you will lose weight and fit into them soon. All that will do is make you feel bad about all of your hard work and not fitting into "skinny" jeans.

Not only that, but I learned the hard way, you can't predict what shape you will be when you get to that size. I bought clothes and held onto them thinking, these will be great in 15 pounds or so, and never wore them because they just didn't fit right, even though they were the "right" size.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    As a woman I will suggest buying dresses. There is a lot of room for losing (or gaining :-/) so you can buy something that will look good now and 20 pounds from now. Whatever you do, do NOT buy clothes that are a little tight now assuming you will lose weight and fit into them soon. All that will do is make you feel bad about all of your hard work and not fitting into "skinny" jeans. Take just a little bit of money to buy a pair of pants, dress, whatever that fits you now and feels good. Every week set aside $5 or $10 (money you might have previously spent on food) and save it to exclusively buy yourself new clothes in a month or two. You'll be glad you did and you absolutely DESERVE to splurge and buy some new clothes now for all of the hard work you've done!

I disagree. I always bought tight clothes. Heck in the Fall 2 years ago I bought size 8s that were a bit too snug, but I can still wear those now, even though they're a bit loose and if I'm going to buy new jeans, I'll buy 6s. If I had bought 10s, it would have been wasted.

But I was 100% motivated to lose the weight, so it wasn't even a second thought for me.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    Whatever you do, do NOT buy clothes that are a little tight now assuming you will lose weight and fit into them soon. All that will do is make you feel bad about all of your hard work and not fitting into "skinny" jeans.

Not only that, but I learned the hard way, you can't predict what shape you will be when you get to that size. I bought clothes and held onto them thinking, these will be great in 15 pounds or so, and never wore them because they just didn't fit right, even though they were the "right" size.

I disagree.

When I'm at Goodwill and find a pair of pants I like, but they are too tight to wear, I still buy them. I won't buy them if they won't already zip up, but I can wait a few weeks for them to fit properly. They go in a box and I try them on every once in a while. It feels awesome when they fit!

I don't recommend buying several sizes down, but one size down should be fine with fit/style issues. You aren't going to change that much in one size. This is from someone who's body shape has changed dramatically since starting to lose weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Disagree in a big way.

For some of us, it's a very good idea to buy clothing in several sizes. That way, you don't have to say goodbye to shorts you love just because you lost weight and Columbia no longer sells them. You just grab the next size off your closet shelf.

I've had to say goodby to a lot of clothes that I really liked.

But I never feel badly because I don't fit into the next size yet. It's just not a thing.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    As well as buying from thrift stores, I suggest getting just a handful of pieces in your current size that you will be comfortable wearing on a frequent basis - don't replace your entire wardrobe until you've reached your goal weight!
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I like wearing dresses, especially stretchy ones. I've lots about 20lbs and most of my pants/shorts don't fit but all my dresses still look good.

I also second everyone else thrift shopping is great!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I buy just before or when I feel I've dropped a size. Started at 22, now at 14 after losing 62 pounds. Plus I work in the women's department at a retailer and get 10% off. I just try to make sure to wait for the good deals, like if we're doing buy 1 get 1 half off on jeans.