Options
2»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

With my current weight (244lbs)
    BMR=1881

You BMR is very likely 400 less than that, we've pointed out how the estimators are less accurate at heavier weight.

Do what aggelikik suggested and you'll find out for yourself - the only accurate way.

You say that "I could safely stay within 1900-2200cals/day and still lose weight" but I doubt this is the case, unless you want to lose weight at a glacial rate.

It looks to me like you have issues moderating your intake and are getting lost in numbers trying to justify the eating rate you are OK with. This is probably a futile exercise so I'm out after this.

Just to be clear -

I estimate your BMR is about 1400, TDEE about 1600 - 1800 in sedentary occupation. You are unlikely to lose weight reliably eating 1900-2200, and quite possibly you won't lose weight at all.

• mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    OP's BMR is about 1400 at a guess. BMI 44. As Mr Knight pointed out the BMR estimators are deceived by heavy people outside the range they were based on.

Katch McArdle with 50% BF is likely to be somewhere near.

SO I should aim for 1400 calorie intake or less? That makes me really sad :(:(:( Does that mean if I eat more than this, I'll gain weight? But I've been eating what I was eating and losing, albeit slowly. Im confused.
    ms_true wrote: »
    I get hangry too haha. On the hunger problem: what works for me is fewer carbs (between 50 & 100), more protein (aim for 90) and healthy fats. Water & green tea help. I've also given up sugar and all grains. Add me as a friend if you want to see my diary.

Yeah I get less hungry with more protein, but I find it really hard to get a lot of protein in without breaking either the bank, my calorie allowance, or both. I've given up sugar, though I'm still taking grains. I've upped my water intake to 4litres though I dislike green tea so havent really been on to that.

1) Set MFP to lose .5 lb per week. Aim for the recommended amount of calories for a couple of weeks. Are you losing too little or not at all? Then reevaluate and lower your goals. Are you losing too fast and starving? Then increase calories.

2) Or if you want to to this manually, use a TDEE calculator, like this one: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Calculate your TDEE, take 15% off and eat there. Again correct after a few weeks.

3) Or, if you want to keep the long term goal in mind, use the above mentioned calculator with the weight you would like to have instead of your actual weight. Use the resulting TDEE as your target.

Oh wow thanks. This would really be helpful!

With my current weight (244lbs)
    BMR=1881
    No exercise=2257 (minus 15%=1918)
    Exercise 3x/week=2586 (minus 15%=2198)
    Exercise 4x/week=2668 (minus 15%=2267)

With my goal weight (130lbs)
    BMR=1279
    No exercise=1535
    Exercise 3x/week=1759
    Exercise 4x/week=1815

So technically, with my current weight, I could safely stay within 1900-2200cals/day and still lose weight. At the moment, I've been maintaining between 1500-1900cals/day with one episode of 2200. I should be losing more than I'm actually losing! :(

This is the most accurate way to evaluate how close to your goal you are eating. Calorie burns are hard to be terribly accurate. One simple reason is that what one considers e.g. a fast walk or a moderate effort work out etc can easily be what someone else sees as a relaxed warm up. So, set a goal for a couple of weeks. Let's say this goal is 1900 calories. Make sure your average goal is this on a weekly basis. If you are going by TDEE, remember, no logging and counting exercise calories, TDEE is the gross calories not net. Check where you are after 2 weeks. No weight loss? Readjust to e.g. 1700 for the next couple of weeks and see where this gets you. If still you are not losing, something is wrong with your logging.

I'll try this, thanks! Thing is, my daily quote is 1235cals/day, that's why I eat back my step calories and exercise calories. With the extra calories, I usually hover around 1700-1900cals/day. I'll try to be more specific and I'll see what happens! Thanks!
    yarwell wrote: »
    I estimate your BMR is about 1400, TDEE about 1600 - 1800 in sedentary occupation. You are unlikely to lose weight reliably eating 1900-2200, and quite possibly you won't lose weight at all.

Do you mind telling me where you're getting these numbers? Coz to be honest, 1400 as a BMR for an obese person is ridiculous. The bigger you are, the more calories are needed for your body to function. That's logic. FYI, I have been losing weight, but inches more than weight, and I'm just trying to figure out what the best balance of calories and exercise is.