How are my calories being calculated?

Options
2»

Replies

• mrssberman
    mrssberman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if this is a good scale?
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA/ref=pd_sim_79_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=16G924ET2960XK4V857C

I use this scale. It's accurate for me and super easy to use. When you get yours change the unit to grams and put a nickel on it. It should read 5 grams. If it doesn't then it is not working properly.
  • mrssberman
    Options
    Oh good! You use the same one I just posted! :) I'll have to get it. Great tip about the nickel, thank you.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Yay! This didn't have to reach page two!
  • mrssberman
    Options
    Hahaha... I take it that is a good thing? :)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    mrssberman wrote: »
    Hahaha... I take it that is a good thing? :)

It means you didn't fight people and tell them how mean and stupid they were for telling you that human error is to blame when it comes to the inaccuracies of your food logging (because 99.999999% of the time that's the case and a food scale will remove that human error).

Also I would weigh things like sugar because that is a calorie dense item that adds up quickly - If I add 2 tsp to each of my 3 cups of coffee that's 90 calories I wasn't counting. Salt I track as close as I can because sodium and I are not pals, and if I'm retaining weight more than I feel I should be I can look back and say "Oh yeah, I was over quite a bit on my sodium 4 of 7 days last week.. that explains it."
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    If you aren't using a food scale to weigh every single thing you eat/drink you could be eating more than you realize.
    How am I supposed to weigh a recipe, say, of like a skillet dish, or something like that? I put the recipe into MFP as a recipe, said it serves 4, and that I ate one serving of it. How is that wrong?
    Use the recipe builder, located here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/box

Enter each ingredient and the amount (weight) that you used. Cook the whole recipe and then weigh the finished product. Either enter 4 as the servings and divide the finished weight by 4, or enter the entire weight in grams as the serving size.

Example (with completely made up numbers): You make mashed potatoes with 500g of baking potatoes, 1/4 cup of milk, and 2 tbsp of butter. The finished bowl of mashed potatoes weighs 600g. You eat 200g of mashed potatoes.

Either enter 600 as the serving size and log your 200 servings or enter 3 as the serving size and log one serving. I always note the serving size in the title (ie per 1g or 100g or 200g per serving)

In this example you should weigh the butter in grammes and measure out the milk in ml in a jug
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Still on page 1.

My example for weighing things.

Sustagen, says 3 teaspoons or 15g is a serving. I put 3 teaspoons then I decided to weigh it.

To get to 15g it was more like 5 teaspoons. Maybe my teaspoons aren't actually teaspoons :smiley:

Weighing things eliminated a lot of estimations.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything on your food scale and to keep you both sane...here is how i do it.

I cook for two,,
    Same meals only my husband gets a bit more than me... the bigger piece of meat a bit more potato etc
    When i make salad i make two bowls lettuce tom and cucumber for both of us..the same just like some other things..but his gets the ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing..mine the bolthouse dressing.
    He has cheese over it mine not.

So it is the small things and changes that makes the different that he can gain weight and you lose weight.
    You eat just less than you use too. You can eat everything you ate before..but less!

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Still on page 1.

Sustagen, says 3 teaspoons or 15g is a serving. I put 3 teaspoons then I decided to weigh it.

To get to 15g it was more like 5 teaspoons. Maybe my teaspoons aren't actually teaspoons :smiley:

@merkavar ...wow...awesome profile change ...congrats
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »

Still on page 1.

@merkavar ...wow...awesome profile change ...congrats

Thanks. Feels odd people are noticing :smiley:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    It may not seem like much, but multiply that by every ingredient in every recipe, and suddenly you're eating 300-400 more calories per day than you think.
    You're right, that doesn't seem like much, but I can certainly see how it would add up after awhile. I know that we've run into that same ground beef example that you've given.

Do you have a recommendation for a good, inexpensive food scale?

I just feel so hopeless and upset right now. I need to lose 30lbs, and my husband needs to gain about 20, and I don't know how to make that happen without driving us both (but especially him) crazy.

Am I really supposed weigh/measure spices like basil, garlic, etc? (sugar, salt, vinegar, etc I understand measuring, but the spices.... really?)

Sweet Mother of God, we have a person who takes advice early and will have such a better chance at success. Food scale hurdle is past you. Congrats.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    It may not seem like much, but multiply that by every ingredient in every recipe, and suddenly you're eating 300-400 more calories per day than you think.
    You're right, that doesn't seem like much, but I can certainly see how it would add up after awhile. I know that we've run into that same ground beef example that you've given.

I just feel so hopeless and upset right now. I need to lose 30lbs, and my husband needs to gain about 20, and I don't know how to make that happen without driving us both (but especially him) crazy.

Am I really supposed weigh/measure spices like basil, garlic, etc? (sugar, salt, vinegar, etc I understand measuring, but the spices.... really?)

Sweet Mother of God, we have a person who takes advice early and will have such a better chance at success. Food scale hurdle is past you. Congrats.

579669.gif
    so...beautiful
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

579669.gif
    so...beautiful

That's just unheard of...
    what_the_hell_doctor_who.gif