Exercise recommendations? Success and a problem

Options
Tree72
Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
Hello. I'm looking for some recommendations on how to change up my exercise. Specifically, the interval training I've been doing on the treadmill has been quite successful at improving my cardiopulmonary function. My breathing has significantly improved and I definitely have to push a bit harder to get my heart rate up. The problem comes in because now my muscles start protesting before I am able to achieve a good heart rate, and I certainly can't sustain it for long enough without significant pain.

So I'm looking for suggestions on two fronts: first, a good cardio exercise that's not quite as hard on the legs as running; and second, good ways to build up my lower legs so that they don't hurt so easily. (I do plenty of squats and lunges for thighs and glutes strength building.)

Replies

• brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I started using an elliptical to avoid the high impact from running since my shins begin hurting after a few weeks when running. Might be a good option for you.
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    I ride a stationary bike. I can really feel it in my thighs, but my knees and ankles dont hurt like they do from running. This is how I have lost all my weight. Every now and then I will do a dvd or go for a walk.
  • trimom63
    trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good morning!! I feel your pain (literally!)...I have feet issues sometimes with running, so in order to let them rest a bit in prep for a 10K, I tried the elliptical. Still basically doing the same motion, just low impact. You know, I sweat like crazy on that, so it must be doing something!! I also get shin splints easily, so have to work on stretching and strengthening my calves...simple calves raises...even going up the steps, I'll place just the ball of my foot on the next step up and make my calves do all the work. This has helped because the splints haven't reared their ugly heads so far!!
    Good luck!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If your muscles are protesting while running, it could be you're not getting enough water before or during your work out or you're not fueling your body properly before your work out. I found this out the hard way! lol When I run for a long time or know it'll be a hard run (i.e.: running faster than normal or just running longer), I try to eat a good balanced meal (say, chicken with rice and a veggie) an hour before I run. Gives my belly time to settle but then I still have plenty of calories to work off when I am running. The protein helps me stay full and my muscles to work properly and the carbs are good for fuel while I'm running. Also, I try to drink 16 oz. of water before my run and space out 32 oz. during my run. Try this and see if it helps. If your legs hurt too much, try slowing down or speeding up. Find a comfortable pace. Sometimes when I'm getting tired, running faster helps for some reason - would love to know the scientific reason! lol
  • Clairezibel
    Options
    I find my stationary bike a good cardio workout - I think running is more painful for most people because you're essentially dropping your whole weight on each leg repeatedly as you run, so it's not good for the knees. That's just my opinion though, I don't know much about running! I really like the bike, it's a fairly comfortable way to work out (although you do get a bit saddle sore the first few times!), and if you get a good one you can program it to give varying degrees of difficulty in one session.
  • Jwanguy
    Jwanguy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    do you like dancing. You should try zumba. it's a really fun workout. gets your heart pumping and you def will break a sweat.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    (I do plenty of squats and lunges for thighs and glutes strength building.)

Can you be more specific? how many squats/lunges are you doing? until failure? 10? 20? 50?
    Have you ever thought about doing squats/lunges while holding onto some weight?

Calves. - Hop on one foot for 30 secs, repeat for other foot.
    Calf raises with a weight in hands, go up on toes, hold it, come back down, repeat.

Lunges while on your toes.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    What about your shoes? You will get leg / foot pain if your shoes are not right.

And sometimes when you are running, you just have to push through the pain. I don't mean actual injury pain, just that tired pain that you get after a few minutes, that surprisingly goes away after 10.

Eliptical and the stationary bike are great for cardio on non-running days.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try a Jillian Michaels DVD like 30-day Shred? I do those every other day or so, as a change up from doing HIIT on the treadmill. They get your heart rate going pretty good but also incorporate weights, which I like. Plus she's easy to follow and its just fun!
  • Tree72
    Options
    (I do plenty of squats and lunges for thighs and glutes strength building.)

Can you be more specific? how many squats/lunges are you doing? until failure? 10? 20? 50?
    Have you ever thought about doing squats/lunges while holding onto some weight?

Calves. - Hop on one foot for 30 secs, repeat for other foot.
    Calf raises with a weight in hands, go up on toes, hold it, come back down, repeat.

Lunges while on your toes.

Well, I work with a personal trainer twice a week, and she switches things up a lot. One workout this week consisted of two sets of backward and then forward lunges (half the length of the gym, probably about 20 to 25 reps each way) with a 20 lb barbell. That was followed by three sets of: 15 reps on the Smith machine with 50 lbs and 10 single-leg squats on each leg.

During other workouts she has had me do lunges onto the Boszu to work on the stabilizer muscles. We also sometimes do bench squats with 15 lbs in each hand (top of the back foot resting up on the bench, lunge until the back knee is just a few inches off the ground). And sometimes we'll do sets of lunges with a weight (25 lbs or so) in one hand to work on balance again. Oh, and one of my least favorites, squat jumps with 15 lbs in each hand.

So, I don't have a specific routine. I do use weights often and seldom do more than about 50 to 60 reps of any given exercise, in sets of 10 to 20. I frequently have some muscle soreness the next day, but seldom work to failure.
  • Tree72
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I may have to give the bikes another chance. I haven't tried them in months, but maybe they would work better for me now that I'm a bit more fit.

Also, I may have to look into running shoes again. I have some very nice cross-trainers (New Balance 1011) with a good insert that work well for most things, but may not have enough cushion for running. I'll have to figure out where to go. When I went to the local running shop (RunTex for anyone here in Texas) they didn't have anything that fit me. :noway: