Is it possible to lose weight just by cutting out junk food?

Options
I eat extremely unhealthy I will be the first to admit that. I am wondering if I will lose weight just by eliminating the junk food that I eat on a day to day basis...pizza, wings, whole bags of chips, fast food, etc

Replies

• chaoticupheaval
    chaoticupheaval Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I buy all my produce from the farmers market. Not that GMO crap at the grocery stores, but yes cutting out the junk food and cokes will help. I did, and I lost 20 lbs this month. i eat meat once a day, the rest is veggies, rice, potatos and water. I still have my coffee and choc chip waffle for breakfast but i stick to my 1200 calories a day and i walk 2 miles a day or ride my bike.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I mean you should ideally nourish your body with vitamins, etc. in fruits, veggies, etc., but there's nothing inherently bad about pizza. If you can eat it and stay within your calories for the day you will lose weight.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I eat extremely unhealthy I will be the first to admit that. I am wondering if I will lose weight just by eliminating the junk food that I eat on a day to day basis...pizza, wings, whole bags of chips, fast food, etc

As long as you don't overeat the healthy food you consume as a replacement, sure, that's definitely a way to go.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Sort of. It's mostly calories in/calories out, but not all calories are created equal. 100g of chocolate has more calories, less nutritional value and will keep you satisfied for a shorter period of time than 100g of, say, tuna will, in addition to causing a much more sudden rise in your blood sugar. So yes, if you're eliminating those junk foods and replacing them weight-for-weight with foods that are less energy-dense, you will lose weight (and your body will probably function better). @DrEnalg is right, it is possible to overeat healthy food, but I suspect that if you're mostly consuming junk that the risk of that is low. Plus you're unlikely to eat 1425g of celery isntead of 36g of Hershey's Kisses (each is 200cal) - check out this chart http://imgur.com/gallery/MeEpOni

Completely cutting out junk works for some people and not for others, and cutting out entire food groups can be difficult to maintain as a lifestyle and cause you to miss out on nutrients - for example, if you're going out for dinner it can be harder to avoid "junk" food, so you can either not go out for dinner (nope) or just make better, more educated choices. Generally, "everything in moderation" is a good guide... but you have to be aware of what "moderation" means. Start by logging every bite of what you would normally eat for a week or so, junk and all, just so that you're aware of what you're actually eating. And then educate yourself on what you should be fuelling your body with. A lot of people seem to find this post helpful http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Good luck! :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Possible? Yes. You'll lose weight anyway you put yourself into a calorie deficit. It's better to monitor your overall diet though, enjoying a treat here or there and staying within your goals. Then you learn how to eat for life. Lose weight, and then MAINTAIN.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!