Breakfast Ideas

Options
boognish1972
boognish1972 Posts: 83 Member
I am in a serious breakfast rut. I find myself eating an egg in a tortilla almost every day. Occasionally I mix it up with a bagel and some smoked salmon, or a bowl of cereal, but I need more choices. I don't really like sweet stuff for breakfast, but I'd love to hear any savory type dishes that people can come up with for me.

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    How about an easy version of huevos rancheros? Stack one or two corn tortillas, refried beans, optional crumbled sausage (chorizo or any other), and fried egg(s). Top with ranchero sauce. You can approximate a ranchero sauce by mixing equal parts of a Pace type salsa and bottled spaghetti sauce.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Frittata, egg and hash, shakshouka, breakfast sandwich or burrito.
  • boognish1972
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yeah, those are similar to the standard egg (+ whatever I find in the fridge) burrito. I really need to move away from anything involving eggs, tortillas, cheese, salsa, fried potatoes, chorizo, sausage, ham, etc... (i.e. breakfast burrito variations). Some vegan options would be ideal, as I'm really working on limiting my cholesterol/saturated fat intake.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    How about meat and veggies, soup, stew, chili, leftovers, pasta, rice, whatever you like?
  • boognish1972
    Options
    Well yeah, there's always the dinner or leftovers for breakfast route. I was just hoping that someone had some good, savory breakfast ideas of their own. For instance, at a friend's house the other day she served me some pumpernickel toast topped with salted butter, smoked fish, and cucumber slices. It was simple, delicious, and unique. I was hoping that there would be some fellow foodies in this particular sub-forum who enjoy thinking out of the culinary box a little bit.
  • NonaSam
    NonaSam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What about sliced breads added cheese and Cucumber and Tomatoes and then add some Grated cheese or mozzarella and put it on the oven tell the cheese melt :)
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I lost much of my weight by switching to breakfast smoothies. I sometimes don't start on them until later in the day, depends on how hungry I am. They help me get in greens, fruits, protein, seeds/nuts, and water. It's like a salad through a straw, but doesn't taste like one. I don't always have time to chew through a tub of salad, so they are great time savers.

You can sweeten or savor your recipes as you experiment. I rotate fruits/berries and greens, adding flavorings like coco powder, dark chocolate (not sweet), cinnamon, PB2 (powdered peanut butter), flax/chia seeds, etc. etc. etc.
  • boognish1972
    Options
    I missed the shakshuka you listed in your first response. I had to look it up to see what it was. It sounds really good. I think I'm going to try and make a pan of that tomorrow. It sounds like it's basically eggs poached in tomatoes with North African spices. Serve it up with a pita or some naan bread and I'll be good to go. Thanks for turning me on to a new recipe to try!
  • lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try smoothies or whole grain muffin topped with chopped kale, spinach, bell peppers, jicama and avocado, with an over easy egg, oatmeal with fruit and cinnamon, try sweet potatoes instead of the typical...
  • reeseheater906
    reeseheater906 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like taters
  • salenaii
    salenaii Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ahidg4hdb4ae.jpg
    ss8vgnwv1ezi.jpg
  • boognish1972
    Options
    G.M., I can do smoothies occasionally, but I really don't have a sweet tooth at all and couldn't eat them all the time, at least the way I've made them in the past. Maybe I need to experiment with my flavor profiles a little bit and find something I can stick with. I do use my juicer quite a bit on the weekends and like that, but while it's healthy it sure won't carry you through until lunch.
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I also tend to stay away from sweet breakfasts. When I don't drink protein shakes for breakfast almost all of my meals tend to be egg based. The egg muffin idea is one of my go-to breakfasts. And one batch can last me three days. You can try using egg whites instead of a whole egg. I'm not very creative with breakfast... lol. However, one of my favorite vegan breakfasts is oatmeal. You can do all sorts of things with it. You can add it to smoothies to make it more filling. You can do overnight oatmeal. I prefer mine hot. I add a little less water than normal to make it more...chunky? I don't know to describe it... But it's not as mushy with less liquid. Apples, banana, berries, chia seeds, peaches. I also find it way less sweet than smoothies or whole fruits. Some non vegan ideas could be smoked salmon on a slice of rye or a bowl of cottage cheese with tomato slices and thyme and rosemary. Though that may not be super filling.
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Something really different is a cream egg curry on toast. Here is my recipe before I went low carb. To low carb it I would use real butter and replace the flour with cream cheese to thicken. Also serve it over woopsie rolls or something.

Creamed Eggs Curry

1 tablespoon light margarine
    1/4 cup diced celery
    1/8 cup diced green bell pepper
    3 tablespoons roasted red pepper — diced
    4 eggs — hard-boiled — diced
    4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 1/2 cups skim milk
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1 dash salt and pepper — to taste
    1 dash cayenne pepper — if desired
    8 slices low calorie white bread — toasted

Melt margarine in a frying pan over medium heat and cook celery and peppers until soft.

Add flour and milk and stir until thickened.

Add diced egg and spices and cook until heated through and creamy.

Serve over toast.
  • Pridgenization
    Pridgenization Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This isn't outside of the box, but what about toast with peanut butter and a banana?
  • Kira_72
    Kira_72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Avocado & thinly sliced red onion on 9-grain bread...sprinkle with cayenne & dash of salt.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Steelcut oats. They are creamier than regular oatmeal and not gloopy. You can start them before bed (you toast them, add water, boil it and cover, turn off) and wake up to them all ready for you to heat and add cinnamon, protein powder, PB etc...You can also use quinoa as a 'cereal' and dress it savoury. Cottage cheese and fruit is another good start.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    I missed the shakshuka you listed in your first response. I had to look it up to see what it was. It sounds really good. I think I'm going to try and make a pan of that tomorrow. It sounds like it's basically eggs poached in tomatoes with North African spices. Serve it up with a pita or some naan bread and I'll be good to go. Thanks for turning me on to a new recipe to try!

It's awesome - you can also make a huge batch and freeze it in portions. When you want to eat it, thaw it out in the microwave, put it in a pan, then add your egg and cheese and herbs (I don't use cheese, but my brother always makes his with feta and it's DELICIOUS!