Bipolar medication and weight gain

Options
ive gained 30 pounds on Latuda mg a day. I also take 100 mg of Zoloft for anxiety and depression. I'm hoping this app can help me lose weight and the bloat this medication causes. Anyone else on a medication that has weight gain and slowing metabolism as a side effect? What do you do to manage your weight? I feel like I eat pretty healthy and exercise 3x a week. Should i do more? If so, what?

Replies

• venicebeachbabe
    venicebeachbabe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 lbs in 3 months on ability and zolof... I stopped taking it because my size made me even more depressed and now I'm trying to fit into my jeans again... eatting super clean and exercise has helped me mentally..but my anxiety is back really bad... idk I don't think there is an answer. Take pills, gain weight. Don't take pills, feel up and down.. :(
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Increased my Depakote and saw a 20 pound gain in 3 months. Not going to say it is all medication. I was in a bad time then. But, 7 months later I am down that 20 pounds again and on a heavier dose of Depakote. I'm not doing anything but eating less calories than I spend and trying to walk a little every day.

Keep up what you are doing! I think you will get better at the eating healthy thing and see improvements over time.
  • tiarnawebb
    tiarnawebb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gained 65lb in under 6 months on seroquel and I didn't lose the weight until my dr took me off it, but my aunt who gained weight on the same thing and isn't well enough to come off it got prescribed a tablet of some sort to counteract the weight gain and has been steadily losing ever since! I'm sorry I don't know the name of the medication but you could ask your doctor about it or do some research?
  • jgjgjgmom8124
    jgjgjgmom8124 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm finally on two bipolar meds and finally have lost weight and kept it off but for years the first meds I took caused horrible weight gain. Now I am on zirapsadone and divaloprex with a few others...not an easy journey.