Is anyone on Zyrtec or antihistamines and losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Stop taking chemicals and start taking butterbur for your allergies.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »

No thank you. Daily Claritin has made the difference between being on Advair and needing albuterol, and not needing those incredibly powerful drugs with major side effects, at all, to control my asthma.

I haven't had a problem with my antihistamine.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

You do realize how silly the chemical comment is right? Have you heard of dihydrogen monoxide?

Everything is a chemical...
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I take a prescription dose of Zyrtec (double the over-the-counter dose) each day, as directed by my doctor, and it hasn't impeded my weightloss.

@AlciaMode Unfortunately, herbal/natural remedies don't work for everyone or for every ailment. The only thing that worked for my allergies was Zyrtec.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

This does not even apply...and I'll bet you can gain weight on butterbur if it increases your appetite and you eat too much. :D
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

This does not even apply...and I'll bet you can gain weight on butterbur if it increases your appetite and you eat too much. :D

And other side effects of butter bur are:
    • The raw, unprocessed butterbur plant contains chemicals called pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs). PAs can cause liver damage and can result in serious illness. Only butterbur products that have been processed to remove PAs and are labeled or certified as PA-free should be used.
    • Several studies, including a few studies of children and adolescents, have reported that PA-free butterbur products are safe and well tolerated when taken by mouth in recommended doses for up to 12 to 16 weeks. The safety of longer-term use has not been established.
    • Butterbur can cause belching, headache, itchy eyes, gastrointestinal issues, asthma, fatigue, and drowsiness.
    • Butterbur may cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to plants such as ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, and daisies.
    • Butterbur should only be given to children under the supervision of a qualified health practitioner.

But according to the NIH, it is effective so some allergy suffers.

source: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/butterbur
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I take Zyrtec everyday for chronic hives and lose 30lbs. I also take Benadryl as needed and it also hasn't hurt anything at all. Most antihistamines even the H2 blockers like Tegamet, Pepcid, Zantac don't cause any inherent increase in appetite or subsequent weight gain. Now if you have to take high doses of steroids for any allergies, oh man that will put you under the table! Well technically it would leave you at the table, for about 10 hours out of the day just eating and eating because your appetite will increase drastically and food just plain tastes extra incredible to most people on high dose steroids. So take your antihistamines without worry!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have recommended it to many friends. All that have tried found complete sinus relief without any side effects. It is also commonly used for migraines.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I take a zyrtec daily and benedryl as needed and it has not had any affect on my weightloss (-28lbs).
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

Did you mean butterbeer? Harry Potter style?
  • erigann
    erigann Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have severe, severe allergies & have taken every type of cocktail of meds available, most increase my appetite & decrease my ability to exercise. The only one that works for allergy relief for me is Benadryl - it is also the only one that does not cause instant weight gain. I've been adding in nasacort this time which doesn't seem to be increasing weight. Allegra, Claritin, Flonase & Zyrtec all caused weight gain, but were also not enough. The Allegra d did not make me gain weight, but it made me a little crazy.

I'm finding it super hard to run with the allergy season here, I have very low energy & the Benadryl isn't helping. On my 2nd go at allergy shots & fingers crossed this time at least gets my allergies down half as bad.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    The weight gain reaction is likely caused by the slightly drowsy effect it gives. When we are tired or foggy we are more inclined to eat because our bodies see food as energy and seek the quick fix a hit of sugar can give. Its probably nothing that can't be adjusted for as long as you know it might occur.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Zyrtec makes me drowsy, but so do my allergies. Allegra and Claritin do not.

If antihistamines aren't enough, one can try leukotriene inhibitors like Singulair.