Heart Rate Monitor: How to...

Options
I just bought a HRM watch and as I was doing TurboFire 20HIIT last night it said that I only burned 42cal. Now I know this is completely wrong and I programmed all my information correctly.

I checked my HR after every Interval? Did I do that wrong? Should I be checking it more often?

Are there any HRM watches that automatically check your HR while your working out? I'm not looking for a HRM with the chest strap.

TIA!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I just bought a HRM watch and as I was doing TurboFire 20HIIT last night it said that I only burned 42cal. Now I know this is completely wrong and I programmed all my information correctly.

I checked my HR after every Interval? Did I do that wrong? Should I be checking it more often?

Are there any HRM watches that automatically check your HR while your working out? I'm not looking for a HRM with the chest strap.

TIA!

you can do what you did then plug in your average HR into a web site that give you a caloric burn based on that info. Most HRM's don't track HR for the full duration unless they a chest strap, they are also more accurate.
  • lizzieballs
    Options

TIA!

I had the same issue when I first got my HRM. What I do now is strap it on (wrist) and just before my workout starts, hit the start button and take your pulse. I also check mine after every interval and when I'm done a HIIT 20, I burn about 600 cals. Its frustrating, but just keep playing with it and you'll figure it out!
  • chipbryan
    chipbryan Posts: 3
    Options
    What was your avg HR? you can pretty easily get a ball park by Googling "exercise calorie calculator" there are many on the web that I used to check burn rates for accuracy when I set up my MFP exercises...

The chest strap HRM's can be programmed to calculate claories burned pretty accurately when they input your weight, sex, age and base HR into the equation, but I am not aware of non-chest belt ones having this capability since you need continuous input for accuracy. My Garmin on my bike and my Sportline watch type both can do this, although they are both about 10% low based on my research and experience, they are however very consistent. I think most of the programs are a little on the conservative side.

Hope this helps!
  • manit1117
    manit1117 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I had the same issue when I first got my HRM. What I do now is strap it on (wrist) and just before my workout starts, hit the start button and take your pulse. I also check mine after every interval and when I'm done a HIIT 20, I burn about 600 cals. Its frustrating, but just keep playing with it and you'll figure it out!

Thank you everyone!

600 calories...you go girl!!! I feel like mine should've been 600 and when I saw 42 I was so upset. I knew it was wrong though :)