Deactivated Facebook

Options
I deactivated my facebook account last night. Goal is to stay off fb for 30 days. I have my head in the fb news feed so often during the day I have been wondering what would have if I took those extra few minutes and jumped rope, did some lunges, jogged in place. This is my experiment and I am looking for support because I am having fb withdrawls already :)

Replies

• freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    You must be kidding... You want support for quiting Facebook?
  • turkeyandrice
    turkeyandrice Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lol yep
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I went off Facebook for awhile. I said it would be for about 30 days. I did get up to 20 something days. I feel your pain lol.
  • turkeyandrice
    Options
    I went off Facebook for awhile. I said it would be for about 30 days. I did get up to 20 something days. I feel your pain lol.

Thank you! Goal is to lose 100lbs in 1 year. Cutting into mini goals at 25lbs every 3 months. Hit first goal. Moving on to phase two. Went down two pant sizes. :) Got to really burn some calories!
  • M3Kindschi
    M3Kindschi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been off it for a year now and I was ADDICTED to it! I don't miss it at all any more but those first few months were REALLY hard! Good luck!
  • turkeyandrice
    Options
    M3Kindschi wrote: »
    I've been off it for a year now and I was ADDICTED to it! I don't miss it at all any more but those first few months were REALLY hard! Good luck!

Thank you :)
  • jglovicz
    jglovicz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How about saying that you ONLY get to browse Facebook while doing something active? Some exercises will obviously not be conducive to this, but you can do things like riding a stationary bike, holding squats, doing biceps curls, holding plank (this would work only if you have Facebook on a tablet or phone), leg raises, etc. you may need to be a bit creative, but it could work!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I sometimes browse FB on my iPad while I'm on the treadmill. It would be difficult for me to give it up entirely, but I am mindful of how much time I spend there.
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I deleted my Facebook about 8 years ago- you can do it! You might find you don't even really miss it after awhile.
  • alicat1974
    alicat1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I deactivated my FB about 2 or 3 years ago, I honestly think it was the best thing I could've done for myself. Not only did I realize how much time I'd been wasting on it, I realized how unhappy I had been letting it make me. Constantly comparing my life to everyone else's, all the petty nonsense and drama, the political crap -- so happy to no longer be a part of FB! Every day you manage to stay off of it, treat yourself to a little something -- bath bomb, new music for your workout, whatever. And before you know it, you'll realize that just not being on FB is the treat itself.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I deactivated my facebook account last night. Goal is to stay off fb for 30 days. I have my head in the fb news feed so often during the day I have been wondering what would have if I took those extra few minutes and jumped rope, did some lunges, jogged in place. This is my experiment and I am looking for support because I am having fb withdrawls already :)

i want to quit FB, not because i don't want to be in contact with family and friends, but i don't like the stuff in my news feed some times.

• SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I find myself using Facebook less and less these days. I much rather interact on here as more like-minded people are on here and I can take motivation from them. Facebook is full of such negativity nowdays and people complaining about their lives without having the balls to do anything about it.

The only thing I really use it for is staying up to speed with my family around the UK. I moved to Newcastle 3 years ago and miss my family and seeing photos of my niece on there makes up for it a little bit. I wouldn't ever think of using Facebook or anything else similar when working out, I want to focus all my attention / effort on what I'm doing.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I've never had a facebook or twitter account so I don't really know what I'm missing out on. I'm intrigued to see what all of the fuss is about, but I already spend more time than I would like messing about on the computer watching Youtube and stuff. Plus, I couldn't care less about other peoples lives lol!
  • countrymama87
    countrymama87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've thought about quitting FB, but there are a few people that I only keep up with that way... I have majorly tweaked my newsfeed though, unfollowed lots of negative people!
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I just deleted the negative people. Of course, that gets hard to explain at family get togethers. "Why can't I see your facebook anymore?" I deleted you. "Why?" 'Cause you're whiny. Could you pass the potaoes?
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I deleted Facebook about a year ago and never looked back! I phone people now and not wasting time. I just come on mfp occasionally to get my social media fix.
  • megpal24
    megpal24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I deleted facebook, best decision! I don't have time for all that mess! Only positive vibes! If someone needs something they have my number! Don't waste time with it!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Facebook is highly overrated, in my opinion. Life without the needless drivel and drama priceless.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Having a break from anything that would keep you being active gets a thumbs up from me :smiley:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just deleted the negative people. Of course, that gets hard to explain at family get togethers. "Why can't I see your facebook anymore?" I deleted you. "Why?" 'Cause you're whiny. Could you pass the potaoes?

Rather than delete people and deal with that, I've just un-followed the ones who thrive on drama (Post = "My life sucks!" and friends commenting "Why? What happened!" and "Oh, no! I hope everything is okay!"), the ones who are militant "insert political affiliation here", the ones who post 50 memes a day but never anything about themselves, etc. My life is much more peaceful now that my feed is full of news stories, the occasional life updates and pictures from family members, information about my favorite bands, quotes and such from my runner friends, etc. I've debated giving it up but it pulls in the things I want to see rather than me having to bounce around to a lot of different news and other sites. With full time work and school I don't have a lot of time to spend on the internet for fun. This way, I do a quick scroll through my news feed and I'm done.