Good food and health for a keto diet

Options
troywhetstone931
troywhetstone931 Posts: 62 Member
10oz of top sirloin and 2 cups of broccoli. Seasoned to perfection thanks to flavor God seasonings, yum!
fypymk6dfo3f.jpg

Replies

• troywhetstone931
    Options

Love keto diet!!!
  • 2CPLZ
    2CPLZ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just had salmon with a bit of bacon and steamed broccoli with a lot of butter and sprinkled with hemp hearts. It's hard not to love keto way of life.
  • troywhetstone931
    Options
    True story!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    lol
  • maggieeric1
    maggieeric1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have just started a keto eating style. I'm in day number six. I've heard the first week is the biggest challenge then it becomes somewhat more easy and pleasurable. My goal is fat loss. I want to lose 30# about. I'm 55 female. I've been drinking plenty of water and herbal tea iced.

The weather is so hot I walk dogs after dark.
    I'm hoping my energy bounces back up as I ajust to fat for fuel. But right now I'm making it on motivation. I'm physically very tired.

Any tips are appreciated. I assume I should just keep going.

I'm doing 3 b/w workouts per week. Called Metabolic aftershock. They are short/ intense and make me very sore. I'm planning to add basic weight lifting as soon as I feel my energy come back.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It will get better. Don't worry about it. You're transitioning your entire system to a different metabolism and it doesn't like that. I had to will myself to eat sufficient fats. For me MCT oil and Bulletproof coffee/chai are a godsend. It really took the guesswork out of keto (for me). If you're very tired, dial back the exercise a bit. It won't help you with your weightloss much, as the keto diet is doing that for you. I do some moderate distance cycling on most days (up to 30 km) at an easy pace, and that's it. Although my energy is now on the up, so I'm ramping up. I can only say that it's great to be at the other end. Are you testing for ketones (with ketostix or such)?
  • lodro
    Options
    Oh. Make sure you supplement well and watch your electrolytes, especially sodium!
  • maggieeric1
    Options
    Lodro. Thanks for the tips!.

Im not doing ketostrips. Im just logging food and keeping my macros close to goal. I'm taking a great multi vitamin and some other things like fish oil & probiotics. And I use plenty of sea salt. I will try the bullet proof coffee thing I think the move to use heavy cream in my coffee the last two days is working. I use coconut oil for everything I cook. And olive oil for dressing the veggies. Kerry gold butter is on my shopping list. Luckily the dogs counter-surfed the banana bread my DH made Saturday so I didn't get tempted eat any of it. Lol.

Easy pace cycling sounds like a great choice for activity.
  • lodro
    Options
    Ha! Such wise dogs ;)
    I'm doing my utmost to stay under 20g carbs, and moderate my protein intake (in excess also causes insulin production), so I'm at 85% of calories from fats. I don't watch the calories so much, trying to stay roughly around my goal. I have the one meal with things I like (bread or pasta) on the saturday, and I take exogenous ketones (KetoCana) in my case to get back into ketosis straight after. I'm on a ketogenic plan as an adjuvant therapy for cancer, so it is really the ketosis and the intermittent fasting i'm after. Weight loss is really secondary. You'll find that because your metabolism is changing, you'll eat less. For me it was a revelation to see how few calories I really ate when I started tracking. So now I use it to eat up to and a little over MFPs goal. It is really a biohack you're doing and I got fairly interested in the science behind it.

I live in the Netherlands, so we cycle everywhere. I do go for an extra spin most evenings, or try to work it into my day if I need to visit external offices.
  • kellyb2904
    kellyb2904 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Iv never heard of this diet......

Can someone explain it to me plz.....xxx
  • troywhetstone931
    Options
    I will explain the best way I know how. Your body runs on carbohydrates for it natural energy source. What a Ketogenic diet does is changes that fuel to fat not carbs. My diet is 2400 calories and 70%, of it is protein 26%, is fat 4%, is carbs. It takes everyone a different amount of time to achieve ketosis. This is the transition. I have been on it for 12 days now and I would say at about the 7th day I was feeling it. I was always hungry and ( well still am...lol) and I felt super drained after my morning workout which I would do empty. But as your biddy a just like the other members said it becomes much easier. I'm know expert I just know that keto diet is what works best for me. If you keep your meals clean drink plenty of water (I drink a gal and a half a day) you should be good. I love it because I'm a savory guy anyway and I am a hard loser so a diet where I can eat beef ribs with a garlic marinade (a whole rack) and 2 cups of cauliflower and onions for diner is amazing to me. I stay away from things that spike my insulin, not really eating any sugars maybe a serving of strawberries or blueberries and no no no carbs. But your will get the carb craving and that sucks. But it's a good thing early sign of ketosis. Eventually you will need to carb cycle so you don't go insane because your brain needs them. When you do keep it to a minimum, I would say no more that 200 a day and that is pushing it. I only do this for a week every 6 weeks. The top end of a keto diet is 105 carbs a day the die hards are at like 55 a day. Good luck hope it helps.
  • troywhetstone931
    Options
    Sorry meant to say as your body adjusts it becomes easier
  • troywhetstone931
    Options
    Please ignore all the grammatical errors like I said your brain needs carbs to work and mine clearly is Jell-O right now LOL.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I will explain the best way I know how. Your body runs on carbohydrates for it natural energy source. What a Ketogenic diet does is changes that fuel to fat not carbs. My diet is 2400 calories and 70%, of it is protein 26%, is fat 4%, is carbs. It takes everyone a different amount of time to achieve ketosis. This is the transition. I have been on it for 12 days now and I would say at about the 7th day I was feeling it. I was always hungry and ( well still am...lol) and I felt super drained after my morning workout which I would do empty. But as your biddy a just like the other members said it becomes much easier. I'm know expert I just know that keto diet is what works best for me. If you keep your meals clean drink plenty of water (I drink a gal and a half a day) you should be good. I love it because I'm a savory guy anyway and I am a hard loser so a diet where I can eat beef ribs with a garlic marinade (a whole rack) and 2 cups of cauliflower and onions for diner is amazing to me. I stay away from things that spike my insulin, not really eating any sugars maybe a serving of strawberries or blueberries and no no no carbs. But your will get the carb craving and that sucks. But it's a good thing early sign of ketosis. Eventually you will need to carb cycle so you don't go insane because your brain needs them. When you do keep it to a minimum, I would say no more that 200 a day and that is pushing it. I only do this for a week every 6 weeks. The top end of a keto diet is 105 carbs a day the die hards are at like 55 a day. Good luck hope it helps.

Lol.

First your protein is too high for keto and if you stay away from things that spike your insulin, why do you eat so much highly insulinogenic protein? Lmao
  • troywhetstone931
    Options
    Hmmmmm that's a good question I'll ask my dietitian. Thanks, like I said I'm no expert.
  • troywhetstone931
    Options
    Donnie whetstone who is my dad bodybuilder, trainer and gym owner put me on the diet after taking my body fat and going over my goals, he came up with the plan and workout regiment. So I'll stick with it.
  • troywhetstone931
    Options
    Thanks for the advice though I never turn away help.
  • maggieeric1
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Troy.
    70% fat 26%prot 4% carb.. would be keto. I think
    5% of 2400 cal is 30 grams of carbs.
  • maggieeric1
    Options
    If you set MFP to 2400 cal goal
    W/macros set to
    70 fat 25 protein 5% carb.
    It comes out to
    187g fat 150g prot 30g carbs

• pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you set MFP to 2400 cal goal
    W/macros set to
    70 fat 25 protein 5% carb.
    It comes out to
    187g fat 150g prot 30g carbs

I thought keto could be anything under 50 grams of carbs? What would define keto if not under 50? I don't know myself. Someone more knowledgeable please let us know.