Trying to get rid of adipose tissue

Options
Hi Folks,

I'm moderately active (very active in short bursts with swimming, cycling and climbing), eat pretty healthy meals, and enjoy my life.

Although I'm the same weight I've been since I reached adulthood, I think that I've been slowly losing muscle and gaining adipose tissue for the last eight years or so. So my short term goal is to lose a few pounds, with the expectation that this will allow me to get rid of some of that adipose tissue, and then work at building back my muscle.

If you're looking for friends, and I sound like I fit the bill, please send me a friend request. :)

Thanks!

Replies

• DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Great girl. You should all befriend her. :D
  • Doulatron
    Doulatron Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :)
  • southeRNurse2016
    southeRNurse2016 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a nursing student; adipose never goes away. It only shrinks. :( It sucks.
  • Doulatron
    Options
    Yes, I've done a bit of reading since posting that and realize that what I learned in high school is actually true. Oh well. Living a healthier lifestyle will (I hope) keep it shrunk!

• Doulatron
    Options
    Also, it's the adipose tissue around my organs that I'm most concerned with. Any words of wisdom there, southeRNurse?
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a degree of "normal" brown fat around their organs. However it's hard to know exactly how much "bad" fat is around your organs unless you've had some sort of scan or been opened up and the surgeon has seen it and warned you.... However there is a definite correlation between obesity, body type/shape and organ fat. People with "apple" shapes (vs pear) tend to carry more fat around their internal organs. Drop the weight, the waist circumference, and the internal fat will also drop.

But really, the big picture is to keep a BMI within the normal range, limit processed and high fat foods and eat lots of fruit and vegetables aka "healthy" eating. Eat better- feel better.