is the weight based on raw or cooked weight

Options
J9Lynn93
J9Lynn93 Posts: 12 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am sure the answer is somewhere in these posts, but I cannot find it. If I am making steak, for example, and I search and use a food as a grilled steak, is the weight the cooked weight or the original weight of the steak raw? This question I guess is also for veggies, is the amount the raw amount or the amount after cooked?

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I usually use the raw entries and weigh raw. Cooking technique affects how much water the finished product has in it and that can affect the finished weight.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I believe it is ..... if you weight it cook, log it cooked. If you weigh it raw, use the raw in logging.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Search the database for whichever you want to use.
    [USDA beef tbone steak raw ounce]
    [USDA beef tbone steak cooked ounce]
    Or insert "vegetable" and the name thereof for "beef tbone steak".
    Also works for hamburger, rice, etc.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh it cooked and then I am careful to log it using entries for cooked meats. I do veggies and such while raw, but I can't stand handling raw meat.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Raw whenever possible.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh it cooked and then I am careful to log it using entries for cooked meats. I do veggies and such while raw, but I can't stand handling raw meat.

This is why I go by store package weight whenever possible. :P I hate raw chicken.
    Or, when I buy in big packs, get a big freezer bag, grab meat with hand in inside out bag, flip bag over to close, weigh bag and write weight on it.
  • J9Lynn93
    J9Lynn93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So since I weighed it cooked, I logged it under grilled fillet mignon. If I would have weighed it raw, I would look for a listing of raw filet mignon. That makes sense, thanks
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I weigh it cooked because oftentimes meats, especially inexpensive cuts of steak, have portions that are inedible. Then I weigh and subtract the inedible portions.