Let's talk YoYo

Options
Hey everyone,

I've been on this site for quite a while. I've restarted more times than I'd like to count. Each time it's more of the same. I do great for a month... and then I gain it all back. My "one month curse" I call it.

I really outdid myself this past time. I gained all of the waste I had lost plus more. I am officially the heaviest I have ever been. It's really disheartening. It starts to play at my mind. When I start to do well, I doubt myself because of my past experiences... and I just have so much to lose.

My question is, how have you overcome your yoyo dieting?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Being consistent. Not being too restrictive. Realistic expectations. Sustainable "diet". Exercise that I like doing. Moderation.
  • tzaug2
    tzaug2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm starting again as well, did this last year, then went to WW, did well, tired "comfortable" stopped going and gained back plus.....I think for me this time I have to be true to myself. I see others, doing well and keeping it off and I just jinx myself....I'm now the heaviest I've ever been, like you said, it's playing on my mind "daily". This time, it's small goals, staying consistent, not weighing myself but once every 10 days or so and starting out thinking this is my time!
    Good luck!
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I actually had success once I realized that it wasn't a diet but instead a lifestyle change (cliche, I know). I didn't need to restrict myself from eating the things I liked or start eating nothing but salads and chicken breast to lose weight. I set my rate of weight loss to 1lb and started tracking my intake and exercise.

Don't beat yourself up for every little misstep. Learn from them and keep moving forward.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    I actually had success once I realized that it wasn't a diet but instead a lifestyle change (cliche, I know).

Agreed. Change your mindset.

Don't think of it as a (short term/temporary) diet to lose weight, but a lifestyle change to creating a healthier you for the rest of your life.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Once I realized that "messing up" once wasn't the end, just a bump. So I stop myself sooner every time.

Then I give myself a do-over. Drink water, do a workout, go for a walk, and make a plan to do better at my next meal. Not tomorrow, not "monday". Right away.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Being consistent. Not being too restrictive. Realistic expectations. Sustainable "diet". Exercise that I like doing. Moderation.

This^

You have to let go of the.....ooops I screwed up, now I have to start over philosophy. Screwing up a little (a few days here or a few days there) doesn't "undo" 1 month of hard work. Do your best to be consistent...not do your best to be perfect.

Moderation is far less stressful.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Doing what MFP says has REALLY helped me with my awful habit of yoyo dieting. I found starting with it set to lose .5 pounds a week also really helped because I didn't feel like I was ever starving (hungry, yes, but famished... never)

These past 2 months I haven't lost anything. I only can blame myself because I went on 2 vacations and didn't log at all, but after those 2 vacations I was right back to logging constantly.

I will be on MFP for life...
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Well I'm just starting, but it's been about 3 months and 40ish lbs down, so my system is working I guess. I'd say just keep trying man, and I firmly believe that if in a month you stop it's because you're simply not ready to fully commit yet...no worries, you can try again later =)
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i agree on making this a lifestyle change. but do it slowly. if you change everything at once you will go back. change the pasta for bown rice, quinoa or farro. eat off a smaller plate. get a food scale but you dont have to plan out your entire day. just weigh your carbs and meat. make sure you arent over eating those. as yu do things gradually it won't be so overwhelming. and you'll stick with it in the long run
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Yes, this. Especially the restrictive part, too high maintenance.

You need to remember if you have a bad day..MOVE ON. Wake up the next day determined to accomplish your goals little by little. Rome wasn't built in a day. Little goals, baby steps. Bad days and good days.
  • CurlyGurla
    CurlyGurla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that what works for others doesn't work for me. I'm trying different things with the ultimate goal of setting myself up for success. I hope to create a "recipe," where I add and remove tools, that I can use for everyday life. Things I've tried/trying...MFP, talking to fit people about what they do and eat, appetite suppressant (with monthly visits to my doctor), asking my doctor questions about my health and my body (I love my doctor!), reading about REBT (rational emotive behavior therapy...good stuff!), incorporating increased activity into my life (more yard work, parking further away from the store), getting to bed by a certain time, removing trigger foods from home (and/or finding a healthy alternative), creating a small support group, and this week I plan to play some Wii games a few nights. I try to shop weekly and plan and prepare meals on Sundays (setting my week up for success). I think key factors for my recent success are planning and variety. Create YOUR own recipe for success. I wish you well on your journey!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Stop dieting and make a lifestyle change.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Have you considered exercise?

It helped me lose almost 35 pounds over the past 7 months or so, and not only am I losing a pound a week, but I feel so much better than I used to. In fact, I never realized how bad I felt all those years until I started feeling this good.

I got an activity tracker which really motivates me to do activities. I get my 10,000 steps a day in, ride my bicycle about 3 times a week, and recently got a kayak to give me a little upper body action a few times a week.

I started out just walking a mile, then worked my way up. Then the biking and kayaking came as I progressed.

If you progress gradually, you will stand much more a chance for long term success, because you will be making a gradual life style change and develop them into habits. Good habits.

I know a lot of people here don't think exercise is important for maintaining a healthy weight (regardless what the CDC says), and they are probably going to come in here and rip my head off, but it has helped me in a big way, and I am not going to let that deter me from trying to help other with what has worked for me.

Anyway, I wish you luck in whatever you do.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Not restricting myself. I eat treats every day, whereas previously when I tried to lose weight I would cut out my favorite foods that were considered unhealthy. I eat all of my allotted calories for the day and try to lose at a slower pace so I can eat as much as possible. I love food and I'm not going to lose weight on a plan where I feel hungry and restricted.