people who've lost 40lbs

Options
2»

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I started in january2011 and lost 45 so far

January 23rd for me. I've lost exactly 45 as well.
    -wtk
  • octopusami
    octopusami Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Since the beginning of this year I lost 45 lbs. As far as food I have definitely incorporated more fruits and veggies. Pretty much this is my diet:
    breakfast: 1/2 cup granola with 4oz skim milk
    lunch: v-8 low sodium, turkey sandwich
    dinner: whatever I feel like in moderation.

I get up every morning and run at least 4 miles. I don't like to limit what I eat just how much of it I do eat. I still eat cookies, brownies, mac and cheese, ice cream, beer. I just make sure I have the calories to do it and I eat back most of my exercise calories.
  • jhoney8
    jhoney8 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fresh veggies, but if you are worried about them spoiling, you can always get some frozen veggies to fill the gaps. I also do a lot of boca burgers and chick'n patties (soy). They are super easy, low in fat and high in protein. If you eat them on a multi-grain English muffin or sandwich thin then they are fairly similar to "real" burgers. Another meal I like is tofu tacos with low-carb mini tortillas, fat-free sour cream, salsa, lettuce, etc. If you add taco seasoning it really adds flavor. Trader Joe's has some frozen meals that have less sodium and other unhealthy ingredients that some diet food is loaded with. Also, Amy's bean and cheese frozen burritos are easy and fast. I also like grated zucchini with some pepper, lawrys salt and paprika (cooked with just a little cooking spray). Bush's vegetarian baked beans are really yummy, filling and easy if you make sure not to pile it on. Oh, and better n' peanut butter with apple or low-fat sting cheese make great snacks.

I've been on MFP since mid-Jan and am just hitting the 40 lb mark. I've mixed it up with a bunch of different exercises since I generally do not love the gym, in fact I really dislike running. Overall, you can eat what you want, just way less of it. If you try to cut everything "bad" for you out you will go crazy. Invest in small portion or lower cal treats like dark chocolate or skinny cow truffle bars, that way you can "treat" yourself without going overboard. I also find that reading about the challenges that others are going through helps a lot. I've gotten great ideas and seeing the successes of others helps keep me motivated.

Good luck!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've lost 47lbs since mid Dec. My dinners consisted of baked chicken breast or talipia, sweet potatoes, corn on the cob and spinach salads. Breakfast was a tuna melt (low sodium/lite tuna, low skim mozzerella cheese on sandwich rounds with mrs. dash lime seasoning). Lunch left over dinner with broccolli or spinach sauteed with onions & bell peppers. AM snack/PM Snack was peanut butter with either apples, banana and celery or 0% greek yogurt with fresh fruit (strawberries or blueberries), stevia, vanilla flavoring and whipping cream.
  • Nichole90
    Nichole90 Posts: 118
    Options
    thanks everyone for the support
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I love cooking!

Recipe sites I use, a lot:

http://www.bigoven.com/Recipes
    http://www.myrecipes.com
    http://www.cooks.com
    http://www.foodnetwork.com
    http://www.kitchendaily.com/

They all offer healthy recipes and some have the calories and all that available. Some recipes that I might have never tried, have become family favorites!

I stopped buying the precut bags of lettuce and now buy smaller head of romaine. I shop for most groceries once a week but make mid-week dashes for more fresh veggies/fruits and milk.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    5 months and over 40 lbs. Did a lot of frozen meals because it is easy to count those calories. I add vegetable to some or a salad. I bought 2 cookbooks for great meals... Cooking Light and Biggest Loser
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming since you didn't mention it as optional, shopping only every ten days is non-negotiable? If so, and you want more produce, I'd recommend frozen fruits and especially veggies. Most of them are flash frozen at their ripest point (as opposed to what we end up with in the supermarket in the middle of January, for example) which means in some cases they actually have more vitamins and minerals than the fresh stuff that's imported from far away, they don't have anything added, and they taste great. And of course, they keep for a long time.
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    thanks ladies! my problem is we shop every 10 days and when i buy salad mix and veggies and fruits if they arent ate in 3 days they go bad .....what about for some of your lunches?

I bought some Tupperware Fridgesmart containers and my stuff lasts way way longer - worth the $ spent on them. Hardly anything spoils on me anymore!! And they fit in the fridge perfectly. I attached a link to which ones I mean.

http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/!tw$shop.p_category?pv_ic_code=25000

I have lost almost 40 - for me it was more a matter of what I quit eating and I started running. Switched to some fat free, sugar free dressings made by Walden Farms, low fat PB2 - powdered peanut butter that you reconstitute with water, Ezekial bread instead of regular or even whole wheat, cut out as much cheese as I could - that one almost hurt, and quit the junk and refined/processed foods. Wraps and salads for lunches. But really if you like to have fresh fruit and veggies around you should try those containers - they really are awesome! Good Luck!!
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've lost 96.5 pounds and I started it by using my kid's plates for my plates. Smaller portions.
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Oh and I bought a book set by Tosca Reno - The Eat Clean Diet - was a life saver for me. It changed the way my entire family eats. Taught me many of the things I needed to know and has lots of great recipes.
  • JohnnyChizzel
    JohnnyChizzel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Took me almost 8 weeks.
  • anume08
    anume08 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Took me about 8 months to lose 113 pounds, I have about 40 or so more to go.

I eat serving sizes of all my food. My problem was junk food which I have eliminated mostly from my diet aside from my low glycemic chocolate bar I have once a month, and my 100 cal FF popcorn.

I eat very clean, and weigh and measure my foods.

I would love to lose the additional 40 by September 16th.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I've lost exactly 40 pounds as of today and it took me 8 1/2 months (I gained back around 7 pounds over the holidays which slowed me down a little).

Here are some things I eat for dinner:

Goya black bean soup
    6 oz. of pasta with marinara or pesto sauce
    strawberry/banana/soy protein powder smoothies
    hummus with Crunchmaster multi-seed crackers and raw veggies
    shrimp fried rice
    spinach salad with an egg, imitation bacon bits, and vidalia onion salad dressing

BTW, I'm a pescatarian -- I don't eat any beef, chicken, or pork

Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I would try to keep the frozen meals to a minimum. not so healthy.

a favorite low calorie meal of mine is black bean fajitas. i cook a bunch of bell peppers and onions, and some garlic in some extra virgin olive oil. go light on the oil. then i pile black beans and the veggies on a healthy, low cal, high fiber tortilla with some low fat sour cream and some salsa. it is sooooooo good and about 300 calories each. i usually eat 1 and a half for dinner when i make that. just an idea!

i lost 35 lbs before i had kids. it took me a year. that was from about 192 to about 157. Now i'm hoping to lose 50 lbs in a year but my start weight was 229.

good luck!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    i recently bought the hungry girl 300 under 300 book and it has some great low cal ideas!
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi. I joined MFP 3/13/11 and hit my 40 pound mark 9 weeks later.

HOLY COW!!! That is AMAZING. 40 lbs in 9 weeks!:noway:
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi. I joined MFP 3/13/11 and hit my 40 pound mark 9 weeks later.

HOLY COW!!! That is AMAZING. 40 lbs in 9 weeks!:noway:
  • gettingthere2011
    gettingthere2011 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't do the frozen dinners high in sodium like everyone says. Cook enough for leftovers and freeze them. Measure your portions and put in Glad disposable containers. The Mayo Clinic has good recipes as well as skinnytaste.com. I lost 40 lbs from 04/11/10 to 09/2010. Then winter set in and I stopped journaling, exercising and dieting. Oops, I gained 18 lbs back. Now I recommitted 04/2011 and I've already lost the 18 lbs. Add your exercise in as well. I walk and ride a stationary bike at least 5-6 times a week for 70 mins. You can split that time up do one in the a.m. and one in the evening. Good Luck. Stay focused. Drink plenty of water.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!