What are good exercises/routines to build arm strength?

Options
I've been going to the gym on and off for years an while my overall health has improved muscles in my arms seem to be a problem for me. I KNOW i'm capable of gaining strength. I used to not be able to squat or even lunge (like I literally couldn't bend my knees all the way it made me feel so pathetic) but now I can do them so relatively easy. Leg strength seems to come naturally for me but no matter how many times I work my arms, how much weight I use, I just don't know what i'm doing wrong. I'm so weak and it's embarrassing. I literally can't even do a pushup. Not even one. 10lb dumbbells are too heavy for me. My grandmother can beat me in arm wrestling.

I feel like I know I can gain the strength but i'm just doing something wrong. I've even considered testosterone supplements just in desperation for something to work. Any advice is welcome! I'd really love to be able to do a pushup someday...maybe even a pull up.

Replies

• richardbaechle
    richardbaechle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Start by doing a standing pushup by leaning against a wall with your arms and doing a pushup. Slowly start moving closer to the floor using tables, chairs whatever you have to keep your upper body higher than your lower. Once you get to the floor you can do whats called a 6 point pushup hands, knees and toes on he ground.
  • Mildromeda
    Mildromeda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea. I've tried the standing ones before but I end up stopping after a few days because I feel so stupid and awkward doing them against a wall. I guess I should just keep at it!
  • Siran12001
    Siran12001 Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Try doing pushups against a wall, a table, a chair. If you struggle to do 4 pushups in good form, go back to the last height you could do them. Start with 3x4 and just do one pushup more every day, so 444 the first day, 544 the next, 554 etc. After you get to 888, you can move on to the next more difficult progression.

It might make you feel less stupid doing them if you have a real goal and know when to move forward.

If you can't do 4 pushups on the floor after doing them on knee height, you could do negative pushups in between. If you do those, you go in the pushup position, lower yourself slowly (!) down until your chest touches the floor, set down your knees and push yourself up again.

You might also want to look into exercises like Let Me Ins and Let Me Ups. If you only do pushups your arms get stronger for pushing but not for pulling.
  • richardbaechle
    richardbaechle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mildromeda wrote: »
    That's a good idea. I've tried the standing ones before but I end up stopping after a few days because I feel so stupid and awkward doing them against a wall. I guess I should just keep at it!

Don't feel stupid, you have to start somewhere even the greats out there had to start at the bottom. Best part about doing them on a wall is you can do them anywhere.

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I second the pushups.
    I started with the wall as well, can now do 3 regular pushups.

Also, look into doing a progressive lifting program like stronglifts 5x5, new rules of lifting for women or strongcurves if you want to gain serious strength. Or perhaps a bodyweight program like you are your own gym or convict conditioning.
  • DoogCampbell
    DoogCampbell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Could be worth checking exactly what kind of movements you think are feeling weak. Arms aren't really the main muscle in push-up (although they are a part). It could be that you are targeting the wrong muscles. From a lifting perspective, traditional arms (biceps/triceps) don't tend to get a lot of focus as its generally the shoulders back and chest that is doing the work. Perhaps you should be looking at some general upper body compound exercises to bring all the muscle groups up. If you can squat and lunge then you are already used to the process. Some good options could be:

Weighted shoulder press
    Weighted bent over row
    Weighted bench press
    Dips

These are all good, compound upper body exercises which will recruit a lot of muscles. These are hard to begin with as with any new movement but persevere and you'll find them bringing on other movements like press-ups as well.