Light exercise ideas? (Knee injury)

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I've been walking daily, but my knee injury is acting up (as well as a persistent pain in my hip & ankle I'm getting checked out next week) because I "overdid it" yesterday with 2 20min walks. (The frustration is eternal with this thing - I miss jogging!!!! It's been over a year!!!!)

I would be fine with a day off, but it's my time of the month and my emotions (particularly anger, sadness, &irritability) are through the roof.

I'd normally go for a nice walk to burn off some of the negative energy & clear my head, but I can't walk much today without making my knees even worse. :(

I'm wondering if anyone has other ideas for exercise to do? I'll understand if there's nothing else light/low impact. :/

Replies

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Seek medical advice with a professional if you have an injury.
  • kiela64
    Options
    peterjens wrote: »
    Seek medical advice with a professional if you have an injury.

I said I have an appointment next week ^, just seeing if there are ideas. I know what I can & cannot do :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Biking, swimming, maybe a yoga video off fitnessblender.com or YouTube? (Yoga tends to make me grouchier than I started, but that's not true for everyone.)
  • kiela64
    Options
    Biking, swimming, maybe a yoga video off fitnessblender.com or YouTube? (Yoga tends to make me grouchier than I started, but that's not true for everyone.)

I've liked yoga when I've done it, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

I love swimming - it's my main form of exercise atm but the gym is closed for the long weekend.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Have an orthopedesy take an xray. i had knee pain for a month that got progressively wose and it turned out to be Arthritis in my knee cap.

I got a cortisone shot, which stopped the pain and now I'm doing pt twice a week plus aqua rehab three times a week, plus what the pt assigns me to strengthen my thighs and hips.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Have an orthopedesy take an xray. i had knee pain for a month that got progressively wose and it turned out to be Arthritis in my knee cap.

I got a cortisone shot, which stopped the pain and now I'm doing pt twice a week plus aqua rehab three times a week, plus what the pt assigns me to strengthen my thighs and hips.

oh wow! A chiropractor told me my knee injury is tendonitis, but I got it last May, so it's been a year and 2 months and it hasn't gotten too much better (and my other knee, my hip, and my ankle are getting sore too). My doctor thinks it's just obesity-related stress on my joints, but I'm going to a physiotherapist next week. Getting an x-ray requires going to emerg, so I'd need to set out a good 10h+ to wait there for that... :/ but if I really have to, I will. I'll see what the physiotherapist thinks of that, I haven't heard of many people having arthritis in their 20s but obesity can probably do that. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    the best thing for knee injuries is foot on pedal , like bike or elliptical, etc.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I didn't exercise at all, except on crutches, for three weeks until I had an appointment with an ortho and got MRI results. It's good to be cautious with your body parts.
  • Meglep24
    Meglep24 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    the best thing for knee injuries is foot on pedal , like bike or elliptical, etc.

Agreed.. I did stationary bike and the elliptical while recovering from a knee injury.
  • richardbaechle
    richardbaechle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you could try air squats if your knee allows, I had to warm up to them at first but it will get stronger and easier.
  • corbmonster
    corbmonster Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'd like to echo yoga (yoga with Adrien : YouTube). Ice your knee. Twice a day if you can. If it's hurt, it's most likely inflamed. Long term information can have negative consequences. Ice, naproxin, stretch as long as it doesn't hurt, and yoga.