How often do you weight yourself?

Options
parfia
parfia Posts: 184 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi Guys,

I started off at around 285lbs and am down to around 265 now after around 5 weeks of hard work working out and making healthy choices. I've been regularly losing weight and love seeing the progress. However, I've recently started weighing myself more and more regularly and it sounds REALLY silly I know but I feel a bit discouraged as I weighed myself yesterday and I was 120.6kg and weighed myself this morning after my workout and walk to work and I was 120.9kg. I know it's ridiculous to be discouraged by this but the mind works in mysterious ways!

I just wanted to know how often everyone else weighs themselves? x

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and log it in a spreadsheet. Many people get discouraged by fluctuations, it isn't strange or unusual. Those people tend to weigh less often. Many other people (myself included) like to see the fluctuations and understand that they happen and don't get discouraged by them, so are happy to weigh everyday.
  • Haegar62
    Haegar62 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I weight my self once a week Saturday Morning after waking up. YOur weight always goes up and down, mostly water staying longer in the body some days depending mostly how much salt you ate and how much you drank water.
    SO weight your self once a week and later maybe only every 2 weeks.
  • linzi02
    linzi02 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and log it on Happy Scale app. Fluctuations will happen and this smooths it out in a nice graph. As long as that line keeps going down I don't mind!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself every morning; the fluctuations interest me, too, and I like to sort of correlate what happened the day before that might be affecting the number now. Between Sunday and Monday the scale went up around 5 pounds. Today it's back down to what it had been during most of the past week. What had happened was a block party on Saturday, where I had more cold cuts than usual, and a margarita (for shame, forsooth...!). I didn't compensate all this sodium with enough potassium or water. So there I was. No panicking on my part but a little internal lecture on balancing what goes in!
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    All I can think of that might have contributed to that extra 0.3kg is that I don't normally eat after tea time however last night I felt a bit peckish at 9:00 pm and had a graze light snack (under 100 calories) would this have added to my weigh in this morning?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »
    All I can think of that might have contributed to that extra 0.3kg is that I don't normally eat after tea time however last night I felt a bit peckish at 9:00 pm and had a graze light snack (under 100 calories) would this have added to my weigh in this morning?

Quite possibly, simply because it may not have been digested yet so the food itself could still be in your system.

Ultimately sometimes fluctuations happen anyway without any obvious cause.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Once a week at the gym (in my periods of trying to lose weight). I don't have scales in the house because I have the habit of becoming obsessed by them and not what my body is telling me. Never on my menstrual week.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Daily

I have a 2-3% sliding weight range

Month end to month end is what I go by for weight loss and balance that with what the tape measure says.

• adawson55510
    adawson55510 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Once a week.. Saturday morning same time same condition as best i can
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Once a week, usually Saturday. Always first thing in the morning, around the same time.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself the last Sunday of each month.
  • NightShiftMedic
    NightShiftMedic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Used to be weekly, but now it's more like once or twice a month. I'm working in a remote area, on a fly-in-fly-out basis, once this rotation ends I'll get back to more regular weighing in and also better nutrition as well.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I weight daily and log it on a weight tracker app, I only log it on MFP if it is a new low
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I weigh every 2-3 day's with many fluctuation's. It used to really bother me if my weight went up or didn't budge, but now I just take it as it comes and learn why it fluctuates so much. Well done with your weight loss. Keep up the good work. Be patient :smile:
  • slowrollem
    slowrollem Posts: 55 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I weigh every morning after using the bathroom and before I eat or drink anything, no clothes. I just try to mimic the same scenario and time of day that I weigh.

It helps me gauge how much sodium I've had, whether my muscles are holding more water after a work out or perhaps it's that lovely time of the month when I hold more water.

However, it's not unusual for people to fluctuate a couple of pounds each day due to these factors.

I just use this as more information to better gauge what's going on in my routine or diet. Not trying to achieve some specific number.

Don't be discouraged, you've made great progress and more importantly, you have started living a healthier lifestyle! :smile:

• misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Every morning for me.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Tuesday morning after walking and some fluids, but before food. Sometimes it's Monday, sometimes Wednesday, sometimes I forget that week entirely. My food is where it needs to be and so is my exercise. I'm going to lose whether I weigh or not, so I don't stress over this part. As long as I weigh near the 19th of each month, which is my benchmark weight that I log, I'm good.
  • kbj67
    kbj67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I
    Tahlia68 wrote: »
    I weigh every 2-3 day's with many fluctuation's. It used to really bother me if my weight went up or didn't budge, but now I just take it as it comes and learn why it fluctuates so much. Well done with your weight loss. Keep up the good work. Be patient :smile:

• kbj67
    kbj67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have weigh in Wednesday. First thing in the morning. Personally I get over obsessed with daily weigh ins.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Daily. I'll have fluctuations of a couple pounds from day to day. Sometimes up, sometimes down, but if you log it here or on a similar app, you see a trend and as long as the long term trend...say a month or so...is downward, there's no reason to get discouraged.