Ratatouille recipe?

Options
I've heard from a number of sources that ratatouille can be a great staple recipe for a healthy diet. Anybody eat this regularly and have a recipe they love? Many thanks!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It is one of these things where you do not need an exact recipe:
    This is the basic idea: Brown some onions and garlic in olive oil, add peppers, eggplants (cut them and let them soak in salted water for a while before cooking), zucchini and fresh tomatoes, add herbs to taste (laurel is a must for ratatouille, but thyme or basil also work really well), add enough water to barely cover the vegetables, cover the pot, lower the heat and let food cook until the vegetables are tender. When the food is half done, add salt and pepper to taste. You can be creative and add extra vegetables to the basic ones, like potatoes, green beans, okra etc. I also sometimes add extra tomato paste and a bit of wine. Or I make a variation of baking the dish in the oven instead of using a pot, sprinkled with goat cheese.
  • slowrollem
    slowrollem Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea! I used to make a version using canned tomato soup but now that I've cut my sodium intake, this dish would be great to put in rotation! Thanks!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    3 tomatoes, 1 eggplant, 1 pepper, 1 zucchini, 1 onion, bit of garlic, chop it all, put in slow cooker, spice it up, put on low for 8 hours.

Super easy. Or you can just let it simmer in a big pan. My mom used more veggies but they were much smaller in France. I can't fit more than that in my crockpot.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    This isn't ratatouille, but it is one of my favorite freezer meals that I cook and portion for easy lunches, especially if you're trying to get rid of a lot of zucchini/squash.

End of Summer Herby Chicken Chili Pot
  • mrsdrshot
    mrsdrshot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! Everyone. And Queenmunchy - your End of Summer Chili recipe looks wonderful. I'll try it soon!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well I now have ratatouille in the crockpot thanks to this thread, lol. I had some tomatoes and zucchinis to use anyway...
  • mrsdrshot
    mrsdrshot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    yum!