Advice for a picky eater

Options
I'm trying to lose 10-15 more pounds. Work out regularly but I'm an extremely picky eater. I like some fruit but I don't really like any vegetables. I don't really like too much besides pasta, pizza, and snack food (Cookies, icecream, fast food, etc.) I need new ideas for healthy foods that I might actually like.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Well, firstly, you can still lose weight eating those things. Just keep within your calories.

If you're looking for other things to eat you could try looking at the ingredients of foods you do like and see what else could be made from those ingredients. Do you like eggs? You could make omelettes and put your favourite pizza toppings in them.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yep, eat whatever you fancy, just keep within your daily calories. I've done this and lost 52 lbs.
    Added exercise will also give you extra calories to eat too.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 10-15 more pounds. Work out regularly but I'm an extremely picky eater. I like some fruit but I don't really like any vegetables. I don't really like too much besides pasta, pizza, and snack food (Cookies, icecream, fast food, etc.) I need new ideas for healthy foods that I might actually like.
    Use the diary and the online sites of the fast food places to create a plan for yourself that keeps you with in your calorie goal. Buy some fruit that you like.
    And read this. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What vegetables do you like? I don't understand how you can group together so many foods that have different tastes, textures and cooking methods.

Try cooking them in different ways. Roasted anything usually tastes awesome. Eat things raw, or stir fried. Add vegies to soups, sauces, with ground meat for hamburgers/meatballs etc.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Entire cookbooks have been written on veggies. Lots of them. "Oh, She Glows" is popular right now (and not bad), but "The New Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone" has been popular for a long time and really IS a good cookbook. You might find a copy at the library if you want to try it out. You can find recipes online, too.

If you get the Cooking Channel, start watching Alton Brown. He devoted a show to just about every veggie, I think - how to make them in ways you haven't so that they'll taste good. Even okra got a show. There was one on how to sneak veggies into kids' diets. "Give Peas A Chance" is the only veggie episode whose title I remember, but the name of the show is "Good Eats." Might be on Netflix. I dunno. Maybe youtube. ("Field of Greens" - that's another title I remember.)

If you want a healthier diet, you have to put in some effort. Buy veggies you haven't tried and make them different ways. There are so very many ways to make them all. There will be some you like.

I like edamame so much that I cannot believe others don't...but I detest broccoli and I know some people can't understand that, lol.

You just have to try all the veggies and prepare them in different ways. So, go forth, buy some peas or a bag of parsnips or something and start making them.

You'll be glad you did!!
  • JenniK614
    JenniK614 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am also a picky eater who doesn't like many vegetables. I try to find new ways to make things that I like. Instead of eating pizza from Papa John's, I use sauce low fat mozzarella cheese, and turkey pepperoni on a tortilla or english muffin. I make tacos with baked Tostito's Scoops and ground turkey. You can still have the foods you love. It isn't as convenient as having a pizza delivered to your door, but it is definitely possible.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Try cooking with spices! Spices make food more exciting, even veggies :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    As we get older, our tastes change. Try them again, adding different spices and seasonings.