VasoVagal Episode

Options
I suffer from VasoVasal Syncope, triggered by stress (see link below for info)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response

Any ideas on exercises (other than Yoga) I can do to get rid of unnecessary daily stress?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've had this issue when having a few medical procedures done. It usually causes a sudden drop in blood pressure so I suggested that my doctor keep a roomful of 3 year olds on hand to keep people's blood pressures elevated. I'm not sure what exercises would help.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good stress reliever for me. YMMV :)
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I go running outdoors,after a stressful day at work. 15 minutes are enough for stress management. I have to dress in layers on winter time but worth it
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for a walk or something when I'm stressed and by walk you can read calling someone to pick me up because my body won't move any further.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Is the stress trigger chronic or episodic?

For me, I do yoga but not particularly to help out with stress (I do have a very stressful job, but I find that it creeps into my head when doing yoga). I find that when exercise helps with my chronic stress it's because it occupies my brain. So things like indoor rock climbing or martial arts are a huge part of that for me.

If it's an episodic stress issue (as in, you are triggered when there is a crisis-level of stress, under a deadline, family issues, etc), I would also work on some meditation and breathing techniques to deal with the immediate trigger.

Sometimes when I'm stressed, I need to do something cardiovascular before doing yoga in order to get into the right headspace for yoga.

I've also found meditation and breathing techniques useful to deal with an immediate trigger.

• kshama2001
    Options

Any ideas on exercises (other than Yoga) I can do to get rid of unnecessary daily stress?

Thanks for the link. Seems like this is a question you should be asking your doctor. However, I will say that I find walking in the woods, swimming, and gardening (especially pruning) quite stress relieving, although not as much as yoga.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've had vasovagal episodes.

Breathing exercises just made me more anxious and hyperventilate.

Walking helped, and also lying in bed reading or web surfing. These all helped me not think about myself.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    That just...sucks.
    Problem with stress release is that it's different for everyone. Running and knitting relieve stress for me. I have friends who's definition of hell would be running and knitting.

Personally, yoga makes me bonkers!

So experiment! Find out what works for you! If you like yoga I can imagine that swimming might also be very relaxing ( though obviously don't swim alone given your condition).

Good luck!
  • kaylahardison
    kaylahardison Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I've had this issue when having a few medical procedures done. It usually causes a sudden drop in blood pressure so I suggested that my doctor keep a roomful of 3 year olds on hand to keep people's blood pressures elevated. I'm not sure what exercises would help.

Lol I was arguing with my daughter when it happened. So 4 year olds don't work. LOL
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    More sex relieves stress for me :smiley:
  • kaylahardison
    Options
    That just...sucks.
    Problem with stress release is that it's different for everyone. Running and knitting relieve stress for me. I have friends who's definition of hell would be running and knitting.

So experiment! Find out what works for you! If you like yoga I can imagine that swimming might also be very relaxing ( though obviously don't swim alone given your condition).

Good luck!

Hell- running or knitting.

Yes. Yoga is relaxing, but for me only when I have an instructor. Something about the voice helps keep me from getting into my own head.
  • kaylahardison
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thanks for the link. Seems like this is a question you should be asking your doctor. However, I will say that I find walking in the woods, swimming, and gardening (especially pruning) quite stress relieving, although not as much as yoga.

The ER doc just said "maybe you should try to get rid of whatever is causing you stress." well... I can't get rid of my daughter, or my job. SO..

I have an apt with my family dr. in a couple of weeks. Just thought my "friends" suggestions would be worth trying until I was able to get in to see the Doc.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Lol I was arguing with my daughter when it happened. So 4 year olds don't work. LOL

Shoot! I thought that 3-4 year olds would be a guaranteed fix :)

Mine have all happened when I was having invasive non-anesthetized medical procedures so I've been lying down and, thankfully, haven't fallen over or anything. I just get immediate flu-like aches, start to black out, vomit, etc. Lovely stuff.

Was that the first time it's happened to you? Four year olds can be pretty argumentative on even the best day.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    That just...sucks.

Good luck!

Yes. Yoga is relaxing, but for me only when I have an instructor. Something about the voice helps keep me from getting into my own head.

Try DVDs by Rodney Yee. I love his voice. You can catch him on youtube to see if it works for you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6EMwF6eORs
  • kaylahardison
    Options

Shoot! I thought that 3-4 year olds would be a guaranteed fix :)

Mine have all happened when I was having invasive non-anesthetized medical procedures so I've been lying down and, thankfully, haven't fallen over or anything. I just get immediate flu-like aches, start to black out, vomit, etc. Lovely stuff.

Was that the first time it's happened to you? Four year olds can be pretty argumentative on even the best day.

Yeah, it was the first time that this happened.. pretty sure someone swapped my baby and the devil's baby at birth. LOL she's my mini me... so I guess I can't be mad at her for acting just like me!
  • kaylahardison
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    That just...sucks.

Good luck!

Try DVDs by Rodney Yee. I love his voice. You can catch him on youtube to see if it works for you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6EMwF6eORs

Awesome! I'll try this!
  • kaylahardison
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    More sex relieves stress for me :smiley:

haha, that inn is full. no more room to increase there. thanks for the input though!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

It is pretty uncommon that you'll have a vasovagal incident on a regular basis simply due to stress. Most people who have them either have very low blood pressure, a shock-like reaction, or are holding the breath with pressure (as when going to the bathroom). sometimes it happens with standing too quickly. As far as it being a stress reaction, it's commonly happening as a reaction to a rapid change in blood pressure, which is controllable by you, as you can not react to your stressors in an emotional way.
    also, regular exercise is a great stress reliever in and of itself.