Low cal & camping

Options
heatherebradley5
heatherebradley5 Posts: 5 Member
Hey all,
I am going camping this weekend (I know what a rubbish summer) it's also my birthday so lots of birthday cake.
I just wondered if any of you lovely people can recommend any healthy camping meals we are taking a stove and a bbq x
Thanks

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Meat, vegetables, lots of birthday cake.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Eat what you would normally eat at home... dont see what the problem is :)

Food storage. Many campsites lack refrigeration, which means no milk (Unless it's UHT, which is pricey) after day #1, for example.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I grew up camping and we'd always pack eggs, bacon/sausage - "breakfast" stuff, fruit, some pre-made cold salads (tabouleh, quinoa salad, couscous, with chopped veg), pre-chopped vegetables or small veg with dip (like grape tomatoes and baby carrots with hummus), pre-formed burger patties, assembled kebobs, sandwich fixings, etc.
  • youngmommy2
    youngmommy2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I regularly go camping in a tent without any electricity. I do have access to ice (camp store or gas station) What I do is I make meals like chili and pulled pork ahead of time and freeze them in containers and put them in the cooler. The day we are going to eat it, I take it out and let it thaw then I reheat it over a propane stove. lean meat like grilled chicken and burgers or steak also make great meals.
    I wash a bunch of lettuce ahead of time and put it in a gallon Ziploc bag with paper towel. I find that on top of the ice(not buried) it stays crisp.
    I also bring fruits and veggies like apples, oranges, bananas, fresh corn, baby carrots.
    I like to bring deli turkey and ham for sandwiches and also for salad.
    for breakfast we either do cereal or eggs and bacon. I also bring Greek yogurt.
    I find that everything stays cold enough as long as you keep ice in it.
    I also have a separate cooler just for drinks like water bottles and juice boxes so we don't have to keep opening the food cooler.
    Have a great time and enjoy your cake :-)
  • youngmommy2
    youngmommy2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Its all about the prep. Trust me. Two week kayaking trip and we were still eating meat and eggs on day 14 :)
    [/quote]

Yes! This

• DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    For Dinners: Lots of Veggies (Tin foil wrapped with some low sodium Soy Sauce & Garlic), fresh corn, Meat like Chicken & Beef for the BBQ.

For Breakfast: Crispy Bacon (Get the bulk of the fat out) or even better Peameal Bacon, Egg Whites (Easier than whole eggs and are great with a little salsa on them), Yogurt, Whole Grain Bread (If you need Bread), Cereal (You can bring powdered skim milk).

Snacks: Lots of fruits like Oranges, Apples, Peaches, and you can even enjoy a treat of chips or popcorn (JiffyPop is awesome when camping)

When you add Beer or Liquor in the evening time it can drive the calories up. But if you are staying active and hitting the hiking trails during the day (My favorite camping activity) then you should have no issues.
  • heatherebradley5
    heatherebradley5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys going to make some lean burgers & kebabs before I go :smile: i dont wanna make a big deal out of it but I'm really trying hard. I get caught up and go along with others then regret it later :neutral:
    Thanks again xx
  • coreyreichle
    Options

Food storage. Many campsites lack refrigeration, which means no milk (Unless it's UHT, which is pricey) after day #1, for example.

Its all about the prep. Trust me. Two week kayaking trip and we were still eating meat and eggs on day 14 :)

Any good pointers to how to keep meat for 14 days without refrigeration?
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Dehydrating is one option. Another is canning (mason jars). You can cook meat in the mason jar and it will be preserved for at least a year safely without refridgeration.
  • coreyreichle
    Options
    DerekVTX wrote: »

Dehydrating is one option. Another is canning (mason jars). You can cook meat in the mason jar and it will be preserved for at least a year safely without refridgeration.

Well, that wouldn't very much be what I eat at home :P But, got ya, basically standard preservation methods.