Easy, cheap, and tasty lunch!

Options
I just came up with this on my own cause I like hummus and pita bread. I'm sure there is something similar to it on the web with more detail lol.7y0c99s0n3w1.jpg
I made a grilled chicken, hummus, and pita bread sa which with fresh green pepper and spinach. Only thing you have to cook is your chicken great with some calorie free seasonings ( I use sea salt, pepper, onion powered, garlic powder). Cut your pita bread in half. Add hummus to the inside stuff with Raw baby spinach or kale and bellpepper, then you done! Hope you like it

Replies

• ShelbyHacksWeightloss
    Options
    I forgot to say that the calories on mine came out to about 350 calories for the whole sandwich. I found a low carb pita bread that only had 16carbs which none are from sugar. 8g protein, 7gs fiber, and I believe 3.5 grams of fat, .5 being saturated. The brand is called Toufayan and it's their low carb pita
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Looks good!
  • esneer1
    esneer1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love making cabbage soup in bulk and freezing for an easy go-to lunch. Since I don't want to do the cabbage soup crash diet I spice up my recipe. I use v8 for the broth and add corn, black beans, spicey ground sausage, garlic, peppers, celery, carrots, onions, cabbage. Basically loaded up veggies!
  • ShelbyHacksWeightloss
    Options
    esneer1 wrote: »
    I love making cabbage soup in bulk and freezing for an easy go-to lunch. Since I don't want to do the cabbage soup crash diet I spice up my recipe. I use v8 for the broth and add corn, black beans, spicey ground sausage, garlic, peppers, celery, carrots, onions, cabbage. Basically loaded up veggies!

Sounds like a good idea!
  • omallea
    omallea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That soup sounds good! What would be the approximate calories!
  • Starbrightmary
    Starbrightmary Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious, I use tomakepita pizzas
  • Bonsaimatt
    Bonsaimatt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The international standard for energy is kilojoule. Just out of interest why do North Americans still use the calorie?

Delicious recipe by the way
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    ^ you are on the wrong website then Bonsaimatt. We have to change it to kj's if we want ourselves.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Bonsaimatt wrote: »
    The international standard for energy is kilojoule. Just out of interest why do North Americans still use the calorie?

Not just North Americans. I'm British and live in Norway and have never come across kilojoules on an exercise machine, on a recipe or in conversation. I just googled it out of interest and it seems to be mostly Australia who use it. I'm curious to know if anywhere in Europe uses it as a standard.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    A low carb pitta? I need to find such a thing in the UK. This could be life changing.
  • dhayesdani
    dhayesdani Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is an 8 carb (4 net carb) pita bread. Brand name is Joseph's. You can find it at Walmart or purchase from netrition.com
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) unfortunately, we don't have Walmart here and can't order from netrition but for any other UK people reading this thread I've found them here http://www.carblife.co.uk/wraps-and-flatbreads/josephs-pita-bread-6-pack#.VcDK_PlVhBc
  • lizjeffries1
    lizjeffries1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A low carb pitta? I need to find such a thing in the UK. This could be life changing.
    Hey! The weight watchers ones are low cal and they have them in Tesco
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like the joseph's brand too but don't go to walmart very often (found too tempting to spend money there!) but I rotate through my faves - joseph's flatbread, mission carb balance tortillas (small is fave but have to get the medium soft taco size often since it's the one the store nearest me carries), nature's own light wheat or honey wheat, and my current phase - thomas light multigrain english muffins. there's a couple of others I cycle through here and there but these are the most often used and I try not to have more than one at a time until it's gone or made/frozen so I don't keep wasting food. with just me to feed I often eat the same thing for a while!

i'd forgotten about pita and lunch ideas so will have to plan some pita meals..would probably be good for my long 2 week stretch of night shifts
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Easy and Cheap -
    Tuna on rice cakes
    falafels w plain yogurt
    three bean salad
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    This looks a lot like what I'm having for lunch. Except, instead of hummus, I'm having it with fat free cream cheese and a little bit of ranch dressing. Oh, and added some egg whites seasoned with Mrs. Dash. I used the Joseph's pita bread. I LOVE that brand!
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Made me chuckle. I was going to reply.... for the same reason we still use feet, inches, quarts, gallons etc. We never went metric. It was 'threatened' when I was in grade school but it never came to fruition.

The chicken in the OP pita looks delicious!! I'd totally load that up with any vegetable!!!
  • Missy1490
    Missy1490 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Who knows! I wish we, north Americans, used energy instead of calories.
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I make my lunch at work I take a loaf of Daves's killer bread thin sliced, eating right oven roasted turkey, lettuce garlic pickles. pepper jack cheese, 1/4 advacado this is all for just under 300 calories. I also will then add carrots for my side and if I am super hungrey some string cheese. love it its so good. also sometime will change the turkey for tunafish.