Any 40 something people out there??

Options
it is soooo hard to lose weight in your 40's!! Help!!!

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Why do you think its harder?

You might have slightlu less muscle, but the real reason is becayse you are probably more sedentary than you used to be. Plenty of people on MFP lose weight in their 40s perfectly easier, so dont get fixated on your age as being a contributing factor. Just follow the same weight loss principles as everyone and start by logging food and creating a deficit.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It's not hard to do, once you learn how. It's about changing your relationship with food. Eating in moderation, enjoying your food in smaller portions, and sticking to a calorie deficit. Buy a food scale, weigh all of your solid food and measure all of your liquids, and log all your foods daily. You're still eating the foods you like, but eating fewer calories, so you lose weight. I'm 42 (almost 43) and I have the best body of my life and I've maintained it for more than 2 years.
    Also read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • allycrosson
    allycrosson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The crazy thing is that I mountain bike 3-4 times a week for 2 hrs plus each ride!! I have plenty of muscles! I think it must be that I eat too much. I'm just hungry all the time because I lose about 800 calories each ride. I'm wanting to lose about 20 lbs. I'm about 165 now.
  • m0587164
    m0587164 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    47 here hit a wall at 400 pounds. Just started body by vi. Here's hoping it's the boost over the top
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    uh, not for nothing, but is your food diary entry today representative of a normal day? You ate 900 calories in the am, no lunch, a scant dinner and then had a 36oz beer for 450 calories. I suspect you are hungry because you loaded most of your calories in the am and nothing filling for the rest of the day. The beer may have felt good for a few minutes, but it was likely out of your tummy in no time. You could try having some snacks throughout the day to curb hunger. Also, you are loaded up on carbs but not a lot of protein. Protein takes longer to digest and as such can give a feeling of fullness longer. Fiber can also make you feel fuller longer so maybe some more roughage might help you feel full which is also generally low calorie density food (i.e., you can eat a lot more with fewer calories).
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just turned 40 this year. Noticed my diet wasn't as good and workouts not as consistent. Been on MFP 2 weeks and lost almost 5 lbs. and have 3 to go. Getting motivated to up my strength training. Good luck to you. Feel free to add me for support.
  • michelepiper940
    michelepiper940 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Please don't use that excuse. I am in my 40s and lost 35 pounds.
  • allycrosson
    Options
    Yea it's making me realize how much calories are in beer! Crazy. Will be stopping that!!!
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Started my journey this year a week after I turned 42. Down 70 pounds YTD. For me, it's all about a lifestyle change of better eating and improved exercise, regardless of my age.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein!!!!
    I had always focused on eating less simple carbs but when I started to focus more on the protein, the carb thing just happened. I'm feel more full and I can eat more and still lose weight. 50+ lbs.
  • EricRSRCP
    EricRSRCP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    it is soooo hard to lose weight in your 40's!! Help!!!
    I hear that!! When you start getting close to your target those last 10-20 lbs are a killer.

• allycrosson
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    Started my journey this year a week after I turned 42. Down 70 pounds YTD. For me, it's all about a lifestyle change of better eating and improved exercise, regardless of my age.

• allycrosson
    Options
    Good for you!!!
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and finding it no more difficult even after hysterectomy than I did in my 30s. Stay positive and keep at it! Whether your daily calorie is 50 calories or 500 calories it's all a step in the right direction and you'll get there in the end. It doesn't need to be fast.
  • bigtone89
    bigtone89 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah it's hard.....but persistence and positive attitude is half the battle. Oh...and saying no to the even snacking......ugh
  • gizmom19
    gizmom19 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's never easy. Time and patience are key I guess. Have trouble with that too.
  • skrobes408
    skrobes408 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and have recently lost 38 pounds. It is not easy but it is doable. I find that eating low carb has helped a lot plus cutting out diet soda. Keep up the good work.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Totally possible to do, and you'll feel awesome after you start losing regularly! I'm almost 44 and have lost 57 pounds since mid-January. It's not easy, but definitely doable. Good luck!!
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, need to loose 35/40 lbs. Have recently been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism - which means it will be a little harder to loose weight. I asked the doctor what I should do to help my weight loss. He said - I've a very easy program to loose weight - guaranteed to work - just don't put it in your mouth! Works every time..

I suppose its true.. Just need to stop thinking I really need these crisps or that extra potato and butter.. Eat smaller portions of good food.

I feel your pain. Spent my life eating whatever with absolutely no consequence. Suddenly clothes are too tight, muscles are flab.. Yuck.. Just need to get up and change it.. If I don't, no-one else will and its me that lives with this body.. It used to be brilliant but I just took it for granted. Time to give it some love!! ;-)
  • jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    it is a little harder, but not impossible. Got to show the young un's how its done!

40s is the new 20s!