Does the belly pooch EVER go away?

Options
Hi everyone. As far back as I can remember, I have had a "poochy" stomach, even when I was 14, no matter what my weight.
Some brief background on me:
I am 40 years old, never had children, and have lost 15 pounds in the last 5 months through diet (1600-ish calories daily), some cardio, and weight training. The weight training has made a BIG difference. My arms are leaner, my triceps are coming along, my thighs are leaning out and my stomach is getting smaller BUT it's still basically always bloated and poochy looking.
I am currently 130 pounds, 5 ft 3 with wide hips and short legs. I can fit into a 4/6/8 depending on the brand. (For reference, my highest weight in 2007 was 165). I work out 5 days a week, with 2 non-consecutive rest days and have at least 1 cheat meal once a week, or once every 2 weeks. I really LOVE weight training and exercise in general and I never feel like I'm starving or depriving myself. However, I'm getting closer and closer to leaning my body out, and I still worry my stomach will never shrink. Anyone else have this issue, or have conquered it? I can post pictures later if that helps.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it is what it is. You may have to get the rest of your body unacceptably thin (or maybe not) to get rid of the fat (presuming it's not just skin, for some reason).
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Some of it might be simple bloat. I've noticed that if I eat less bread and fewer simple sugars that my stomach looks flatter (at least temporarily). Other foods like broccoli and cauliflower can cause bloating also. Have you noticed any difference based on the foods you eat?
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing this morning as I pinched the belly fat on me.. 'Will it ever go away" !!!!
    My size is comparable to you... 5/4, 50yo, I started at 150 now at 125...
    I am thinking I need to do more weight lifting, core work, to get rid of it. Looking forward to the answers to this question too.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You keep losing fat all over until it's gone, or you don't.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I don't have a stomach pooch and haven't since about 115 at 5'3". Is it fat on top of the muscle or is it pooch from behind the muscle like bloating or weak muscles? If it's fat only option is to lower body fat overall or surgical options if the other try core work and strengthening.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I lost 40lbs and my arms and legs got extremely thin but I still had a pooch. Now I lost about 8lbs and workout and lift and it's starting to go away. I even have some friends who are alot thicker than me with a flat stomach so it sucks. I had a kid though so that is where mine came from, but I have friends with 3 kids and flat abs so it is possible. I am 5'9" and 130lbs
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I know this says it's about loose skin, but he talks about this issue in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVddgtwaC
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It could be posture, bloating or weak core, possibly along with fat. It is possible to have a flat stomach, you just have to figure out which issue or issues you are dealing with.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It's not showing up, but if you search Feeding Fitness loose skin on Youtube, it should pop up.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Were you overweight as a 14 year old?
    Also I had 3 children and my high weight was 188 at 5'2".
    Now I'm about 125 and still have a lower belly pooch. Even at 120, my pooch was still there even though my entire abdominal area was lean.
    I guess tummy tuck would make it vanish but surgery doesn't appeal to me at all!
    I call it my kangaroo pouch, lol.
  • jenaphile
    jenaphile Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for so much feedback. I really appreciate it. It may be bloat. I have no loose skin issues. I have included a picture here from a few days ago...ignore the bras hanging, mess, etc.
    -- Jenphn3dd8t3neb.jpg
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My tummy always pokes out. Its not bloat or anything just my innards pushing my belly out. I learned to just suck it in from a very young age.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    you look great. do you do weight training? core work? pilates? maybe add some in to what you're doing. Keep it up.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    By pooch so you mean that your stomach is convex?

Because stomachs are convex

I consider mine to be fairly flat now but it still has a curve to it...I'm a woman, I like that personally ...

s2lkuc93kpr3.jpg
  • jenaphile
    Options
    Thank you, that means a lot. I weight train (8-15 pound dumbbells), have started ab and oblique crunches with a medicine ball, and take nightly 30-45 min walks. I feel like I'm forever fighting the chub my body REALLY wants to be.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weight training generally means progressive resistance work ...the best exercise would be compound lift programme with squats, deadlifts, bench presses etc rather than isolation

See stronglifts5x5 or ice cream fitness or strong curves etc
  • jenaphile
    Options
    OK, will definitely check those out. Thanks!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    That's called the amentum. It's a pad of fat that most women have that will protect a pregnant belly from bumps. My mother had hers surgically removed as part of her hysterectomy for cancer. ( had cancer cells in it) That was the first time in her life she had a totally flat stomach even under weight with cancer. As a very underweight teen I had (and still have) a promenent amentum -just genetics. It's more common with our hourglass figures.
  • Hipnotika
    Hipnotika Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    jenaphile wrote: »
    Wow, thank you all for so much feedback. I really appreciate it. It may be bloat. I have no loose skin issues. I have included a picture here from a few days ago...ignore the bras hanging, mess, etc.
    -- Jenphn3dd8t3neb.jpg

What pooch???!!! I don't see one, you look great!!!! I agree with usmcmp
  • ClareDoherty42
    ClareDoherty42 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'd kill to have your pooch rather than mine! :smiley: