Too many carbs, not enough calories...

Options
Okay, so I almost always run out of carbs before I get all of my calories. Anyone else have that problem? Thinking I need to maybe a lean serving of meat to lunch?? I already usually have cheese (babybel light)somewhere in my snacks because of being carb-free. Any other suggestions for very low carb or carb-free meal additions or snacks?

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Animals derived products or nuts.
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    Hey girl, you may want to make your diary public so we can help ou on making adjustments. I go by the 40/40/20 rule. 40% carbs, 40% porotein, and 20% fats. Thats a good calculation to help u lean out and get the adequate protein and carbs u need for ur body. I never go by what MFP has recommended their protein is way to low and the carbs are wayt oo high. Too many high carb will turn into fat if your body doesnt use it as energy in the form of exercise. Try having ur higher carbs in the morning and early afternoon and have lean protein, veggies at dinner. You can check out my diary to get some ideas. Feel free to add me as a friend to keep each other motivated.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It would help if your food diary were open, but where many people go wrong is by not incorporating much protein into breakfast. Instead of just cereal or oatmeal, have some eggs (omelet, scrambled, over-easy, hardboiled...whatever your preference is). You could add veggies to an omelet or to scrambled eggs as well. Other higher protein breakfast options include cottage cheese (try to find a type lower in salt), greek yogurt, milk-based smoothies, etc.

Most days I try to focus on protein and fat for my breakfast, as it keeps me fueled longer and less hungry than when I eat a carb-centered breakfast. Some days I do have oatmeal or cereal or fruit with my protein, but I almost always try to get some protein in.

In regard to your thought about lunch - YES. You should try to have protein with EVERY meal, whether it's meat or another protein type (eggs, beans) or a combination of protein sources.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    What do your macros look like? Protein/fat/carbs?

Taking in more carbs is not an issue in the context of sufficient dietary fat and protein intake. It will not lead to fat gain if a caloric deficit is being maintained.

Put simply, carbs do not turn into fat in a caloric deficit, and rarely do in a caloric surplus.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    When you are over in carbs do you have protein left? If you are, you could lower your protien goal and it will increase your carb for the day. As long as you are not eating bad carbs.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    When you are over in carbs do you have protein left? If you are, you could lower your protien goal and it will increase your carb for the day. As long as you are not eating bad carbs.

No such thing as "bad carbs". If you are referring to simple vs. complex, this should not even be considered unless you are a diabetic.
  • dls06
    Options

No such thing as "bad carbs". If you are referring to simple vs. complex, this should not even be considered unless you are a diabetic.
    ????????????????????? excuse me, sonny????????????????
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Yes? Please define a bad carb.
  • dls06
    Options
    Candy, Soda, Cookies, Ice Cream, Cake, Pies,
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

I eat them daily/nightly.

No disrespect intended, I'm just asking what is wrong with those things? The only thing that I can see that MAY be wrong with them is that they tend to be calorically dense while not being dense in micronutrients, but this is not an issue in the context of proper daily nutrition. Moderation is key. You can get fat off of chicken and rice just the same as you can ice cream and cookies. It's all about energy balance and calories in vs. calories out.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    It's all about energy balance and calories in vs. calories out.

That may be true for you but for some of us, the *quality* of the calories has a huge impact on how we feel and our overall health. Not to mention, it's much easier to get adequate vitamins/minerals when you're eating healthy, natural, unprocessed foods as much as possible. I feel like crap when I eat mostly processed carbs. Eating good, unprocessed carbs like beans, quinoa, lentils, veggies and fruit tends to leave me feeling much more energetic, less hungry and overall much healthier.

There is more to health than just calories, and that fact is that candy/soda/cookies/ice cream/etc. are nowhere near as healthy and as good for you as whole, unprocessed carbs like beans, lentils, oats, vegetables, fruit, etc... regardless of calorie amounts. A treat now and then is fine, but it's important to generally restrict carbs to the healthier choices and to make sure enough protein and *healthy* fat is included in the diet as well.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

That may be true for you but for some of us, the *quality* of the calories has a huge impact on how we feel and our overall health. Not to mention, it's much easier to get adequate vitamins/minerals when you're eating healthy, natural, unprocessed foods as much as possible. I feel like crap when I eat mostly processed carbs. Eating good, unprocessed carbs like beans, quinoa, lentils, veggies and fruit tends to leave me feeling much more energetic, less hungry and overall much healthier.

There is more to health than just calories, and that fact is that candy/soda/cookies/ice cream/etc. are nowhere near as healthy and as good for you as whole, unprocessed carbs like beans, lentils, oats, vegetables, fruit, etc... regardless of calorie amounts. A treat now and then is fine, but it's important to generally restrict carbs to the healthier choices and to make sure enough protein and *healthy* fat is included in the diet as well.

Exactly what I stated above. These foods tend to not be dense in micronutrients, which are important in daily nutrition for overall health. They are also calorically dense as I said, which will of course lead to a lower satiety from them. And also as I stated, these can be enjoyed on a regular basis IN MODERATION. I was simply asking the definition of a "bad" carb.

You're right, overall health is more than calories, but weight loss isn't. Please don't get the impression that I eat nothing but "junk" food. I get the majority of my food from nutrient dense whole foods, but depriving yourself of foods that you grew up on/love is one of the main reasons people can't stick to a "diet".
  • new_Kendra
    new_Kendra Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses and great info! My diary is now public. My carbs 55%, protein 25%, and fat 20%. I think I may need to incorporate more protein, but I kept my carbs high to prevent binging! I have a sick and twisted addiction to carbs :embarassed: But still, if I lower my carbs, my problem will be worse!!!
  • dls06
    Options

I eat them daily/nightly.

No disrespect intended, I'm just asking what is wrong with those things? The only thing that I can see that MAY be wrong with them is that they tend to be calorically dense while not being dense in micronutrients, but this is not an issue in the context of proper daily nutrition. Moderation is key. You can get fat off of chicken and rice just the same as you can ice cream and cookies. It's all about energy balance and calories in vs. calories out.

You are also young and male and are able to burn more of these calories and carbs throughout the day naturally. I can only give my opinion on how I have met my goal and how I am maintaining. We can not all eat these things and lose or maintain a healthy weight. Do I cheat once in a while, sure. But everyday is not realistic for me or most people who want to lose and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses and great info! My diary is now public. My carbs 55%, protein 25%, and fat 20%. I think I may need to incorporate more protein, but I kept my carbs high to prevent binging! I have a sick and twisted addiction to carbs :embarassed: But still, if I lower my carbs, my problem will be worse!!!

Personally I find when I eat fewer carbs, and make the carbs that I do eat natural, unprocessed (or minimally processed) like legumes, veggies, fruit, oats, quinoa, etc., after a few days my cravings for other stuff goes away. Try to balance every meal/snack with healthy carbs, protein and fat. Over the course of a year I tweaked my food habits and found that I now naturally tend to eat in the 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat range - and I'm even lower than 40% on some days if I'm not paying attention to my carbs. This coming from someone who used to have a major sweet tooth and who loved breads/pastas/etc. Now my binges tend to be on high protein/fat items like cheese and nuts. I actually am working to eat *more* carbs now because I've picked up my running and need the proper fuel, so I'm working for a 50/25/25 balance.

You might consider giving a lower carb, higher fat and protein diet a shot - maybe 50/25/25 carbs/protein/fat - it's not *that* dramatically different from your current goal, and if you focus on healthier carbs with only a little bit of processed/sugary stuff for treats, you may find that your cravings go away if you're patient. You have to believe in yourself, though - if you tell yourself you will have cravings, then you will. It's mind over matter, and words/thoughts have power.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

You are also young and male and are able to burn more of these calories and carbs throughout the day naturally. I can only give my opinion on how I have met my goal and how I am maintaining. We can not all eat these things and lose or maintain a healthy weight. Do I cheat once in a while, sure. But everyday is not realistic for me or most people who want to lose and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I completely understand. I do have a higher calorie expenditure seeing that I'm young, male, and active.

My point being that IF you have met your macronutrient requirements and have calories to spare, it is ok to treat yourself. I have found that since I incorporate foods that I love into my diet that would be considered "junk" food, I no longer have the urge to binge. Just take a look at my diary entries and you'll see what I mean. Lol.
  • MissStaceFace
    Options
    I'm having that same problem but with sugar! I didn't realize how much sugar was in breads, bananas etc..... Idk what to eat to get my sugar levels down!
  • new_Kendra
    new_Kendra Posts: 80
    Options
    I'm having that same problem but with sugar! I didn't realize how much sugar was in breads, bananas etc..... Idk what to eat to get my sugar levels down!

Oh boy, I don't even look at my sugar. It does show up on my phone app when I am logging away from my computer. And it is always two times plus more than it should be. One battle at a time for me! lol
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You can customize what you track. I have had more success since cutting back on sugar. 1 banana has almost my full day's worth of sugar!
    I snack on yogurt (more natural the better), string cheese, almonds etc...but I really don't snack too much. I eat mostly protein and veggies but I eat oatmeal and bread too. Honestly, I RARELY go over on carbs. Try avoiding "boxed" or packaged goods for a week and see how it goes. Organic is expensive (or can be).
    AmyLu makes good chicken sausages...good for work because they are pre-cooked and 100-130 calories each. I eat 2 of those with a box (vision health is my fave) of green Giant veggies (2 servings) for a 300 calorie lunch.
    just some thoughts...