Personal Trainers

Options
What are the pros and cons of using personal trainers?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Pro: I can progress faster than I would/could on my own.. Focus. Accountability. Variety.
    Con: $
  • Ed_Hardman
    Ed_Hardman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The best athletes in the world all share a common attribute, they're good at taking instruction from their coaches. A trainer should be able to help you understand your goals and help you achieve them in the most effective way possible. They'll know when to go easy to let you recover, they'll know when to push you harder than you knew you could perform, what exercises will have the highest impact, what will waste your time. Strength, mobility, fitness level, diet etc. should all be taken into account.

Unfortunately not all trainers are good. There are many that will just want to sit you on a gym machine as it's simple to train, has low injury risk so low chance of getting in trouble, looks impressive, can only be used in the gym, and they still get paid. If you're ever stood doing long steady cardio on the elliptical machine while your trainer is on his phone then alarm bells should be ringing.

If you find a great trainer, the only real downside is that it'll cost you a lot for their time. Try to use the time you have with them very productively, set up a programme, learn new exercises or routines, *kitten* your progress, correct your tequnique etc. rather than just having them take you through a workout that you could have done on your own.

Finally, and controversially, being pushed harder is not in itself a reason to have a trainer. If all you want is to get a sweat on then it's much more cost effective to join in with a class. Body pump, spin, circuit training, etc.
  • jessmcd1986
    jessmcd1986 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am 100% for trainers, I have a great one, despite him only being a child ha ha ha! (20). But he knows his stuff and has really worked around what my goals are rather than giving me some standard printed workout program. He holds me accountable. I spent $80AUD per week on him and that's not including my gym membership. Well worth it if you have the cash. (I just spend less on wine and gin :wink: )
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Ed_Hardman wrote: »

Unfortunately not all trainers are good.

Basically all that needs to be said IMO. And they tend to be expensive at least to a broke college gal like myself.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Personal trainers are great if your new to exercising and want to learn the different machines. there should come a day when you don't need them anymore, unless you're a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE.
  • teresa19622015
    teresa19622015 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer comes to my house, so no excuses for not making it to the gym! She knows my weaknesses and what I hate to do (hello squats and running up and down stairs), but she doesn't let me slack. She does a weigh in once a week and we discuss short and long term fitness and weight loss goals. I don't like working out and with two young kids a regular gym class doesn't always fit in and it is too easy to find excuses not to go. It does cost but my health is worth it, and it is just something I have to budget for.
  • teresa19622015
    teresa19622015 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add that your personalities have to mesh - and check their qualifications. My trainer did a free first session so we could find out if she could offer what I needed.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    @Ed_Hardman made some great points. I chose to hire a personal trainer because I wanted to learn free weights and the compound lifts; I was in my early 50's, had a few past injuries, and knew that I would never learn the proper form through videos and reading alone, given my age and condition. I found a trainer who was excellent; knew form mattered above all else, could discern how my past injuries affected my form and developed accessory exercises to overcome those weaknesses, and kept things progressing rapidly. Worth every penny in my book.

Now I'm on my own but am extremely comfortable in setting up my own routine and maintaining. Sort of. I think I'll be hiring a trainer in the winter to move me through more progression on squats and deadlifts.

I don't think I'd ever have attempted what I'm doing now if it weren't for my trainer. However, you gotta find the right person, the right fit, and also meet them more than halfway. Show up, be on time, learn, do research on your own time, and use their knowledge to the best of your ability.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    < My fursonal trainer encourages me to walk faster! do more calisthenics! sprint faster! bend over pick up the ball and throw it a million times! tand feed him my din or he barks at me!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I prefer the class setting, it's more fun.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Pros: will likely push you harder than you will push yourself (at least at first), can teach you to do weight lifting (or whatever) safely, will help you track your progress, if you are paying for help you are less likely to skip the gym "just 'cuz"

Cons: can be expensive (or very expensive!), not all trainers are created equal and the onus will be on you to pick the right one for you

Think of hiring a trainer like you would hire anyone else ... interview them, ask pertinent questions, and don't be afraid to say "no, I don't think this is the best fit" and look elsewhere. This last is the one many people seem to find the hardest.
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Cons -
    most of them have no nutritional degree and want to put people on very restrictive diets.

most are very expensive - many work for companies that require quotas

cookie cutter plans

Just because in shape does not mean they are entirely knowledgeable

Think that cardio is only way to get in shape

Pros -

Might hold you accountable

Good for all levels of fitness

Overall - research. So many trainers are not as experienced and/or educated like they portray. Doing a bikini show does not qualify someone to be a personal trainer. Make sure to hire on your specific needs, example, the coaching from crossfit is so much different than the training that I have received from my powerlifting coach.