When we eat out???

So I don't have any tips and tricks about eating out. This is actually a question....

So how do you guys track what you eat when you go out to eat at some type of dining facility? I'm talking about a place that does NOT have a nutritional menu on hand.

I have a favorite restaurant here on island that is my go to spot when I don't feel like eating at home. It's called Greens & Vines. Just some insight on the establishment, ALL food served here is raw vegan. So it's all locally grown ed fruits and veggies that isn't cooked or processed. They also use seed, nuts, and dehydrated fruits.

Now they DO have a menu that tells you what foods make up the dishes which is some what helpful, but I have the hardest time with trying to figure out the sauces like tomato sauce and complex dishes like their lasagna.

Soooooo, does any one have and tips or tricks that they could share with me?

Please oh please oh pleaseeeeeee let's me knowwwww!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I ate at a raw vegan place recently -- to track the calories I looked up recipes online that seemed similar to what I ate and calculated the calories for those.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    edited August 2015
    I ate at a raw vegan place recently -- to track the calories I looked up recipes online that seemed similar to what I ate and calculated the calories for those.

This ^^
    I estimate and then add a couple of hundred.

• janejellyroll
    Chezzie84 wrote: »

This ^^
    I estimate and then add a couple of hundred.

Yes, great suggestion! When I was losing weight (I'm now maintaining), I always added extra calories to my estimates for calories consumed when eating out.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    So I don't have any tips and tricks about eating out. This is actually a question....

So how do you guys track what you eat when you go out to eat at some type of dining facility? I'm talking about a place that does NOT have a nutritional menu on hand.

I have a favorite restaurant here on island that is my go to spot when I don't feel like eating at home. It's called Greens & Vines. Just some insight on the establishment, ALL food served here is raw vegan. So it's all locally grown ed fruits and veggies that isn't cooked or processed. They also use seed, nuts, and dehydrated fruits.

Now they DO have a menu that tells you what foods make up the dishes which is some what helpful, but I have the hardest time with trying to figure out the sauces like tomato sauce and complex dishes like their lasagna.

How is tomato sauce not processed?? Regardless, try your best to guess by entering generic ingredients, or find a similar meal from a chain restaurant entree. When in doubt, assume it is high in calories.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    yup
    and I try to stick to grilled or baked chicken or fish with a vegetable side. but sometimes i'll have something else if I have a bountiful deficit of calories
    and then log the best I can
  • Jocelynllamas
    Jocelynllamas Posts: 8 Member
    jaga13 wrote: »

How is tomato sauce not processed?? Regardless, try your best to guess by entering generic ingredients, or find a similar meal from a chain restaurant entree. When in doubt, assume it is high in calories.

Lol its raw- vegan. The sauces are not processed. It's pretty simple actually. So fresh tomatoes are blended and then strained. You then take dehydrated tomatoes, soak them in water for a few hours, pour the water out. Next you blend those with you strained tomatoes. Add fresh basil, lemon juice and a date. Blend some more and if you want an extra kick just add a LITTLE jalapeño Pepper. And believe it or not!!! You NOW have unprocessssssseddddddddd tomato sauce OH MY GOSHHHHHHH! MIND BLOWWWINGGGGGG.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Blending = processed.
  • Jocelynllamas
    Jocelynllamas Posts: 8 Member
    Blending = processed.

High five! ;)
  • 150FNG
    150FNG Posts: 18 Member
    Blending = processed.

Exactly, any mechanical or chemical changing of a food into a new form is considered processing. Cooking, using food processor/blender, mortar and pestle, or whatever is all processing.
  • janejellyroll

Lol its raw- vegan. The sauces are not processed. It's pretty simple actually. So fresh tomatoes are blended and then strained. You then take dehydrated tomatoes, soak them in water for a few hours, pour the water out. Next you blend those with you strained tomatoes. Add fresh basil, lemon juice and a date. Blend some more and if you want an extra kick just add a LITTLE jalapeño Pepper. And believe it or not!!! You NOW have unprocessssssseddddddddd tomato sauce OH MY GOSHHHHHHH! MIND BLOWWWINGGGGGG.

Raw foods can be processed. Vegan foods can be processed. Raw vegan foods can be processed. Dehydrating, rehydrating, blending, and straining are all processes.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    It sounds like you are a regular. If so, ask the chef/cook, they will be happy to give you a close estimate. I frequent a couple of places and all the staff are quite used to, and probably amused by my request for calories.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member

Raw foods can be processed. Vegan foods can be processed. Raw vegan foods can be processed. Dehydrating, rehydrating, blending, and straining are all processes.

This. Calling something like a tomato sauce "unprocessed" is pretty silly.

Apart from that, if I can't easily pick out separate ingredients and quantitiesand estimate based on what I measure on my food scale at home (like if I have a salad and can see each ingredient to say "100g tomato, 50g cucumber, 50g goat cheese, 8oz grilled sirloin", then add a couple hundred calories for dressing), I do what's been mentioned before and look up something similar then add some quick calories to be safe. For example, if I order an appetizer portion of tuna tataki at a local place, I'll look up tuna tataki from a chain restaurant and pick one of the higher-calorie options, then quick add 100 calories in case. It's not perfect but it works for me.