Frussssssssstrated!

Options
Hi, I'm totally new here! I could really use some in put. I have a trip to Cedar Point (big amusement park) at the end of next month, realisitically I would like to drop at least one full jeans size, so for the last week I've been walking a minimum of a brisk mile, maxing out at 4 miles, trying to cut back on calories etc, I don't understand it, I'm not eating Mcdonalds or fast food and :noway: I'm only GAINING weight and my blood pressures going up, and I'm exhausted..I'm a nurse and trying to set an example and its killing me that this hard work is only having the opposite effect. Any suggestions or tips would really be appreciated.

Replies

• aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating at least 1200 net calories a day and drinking lots of water. Good luck & keep trying. :smile:
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    If you opened up your diary it would be easier to help, without it, it's hard to say...

I would say make sure you are being honest about EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, make sure you are netting at LEAST 1200 calories daily, watch your sodium intake, and drink your 8 glasses of water a day... if you're already doing all of that... like I said, without being able to peek at your diary, there's no telling...
  • aphaake
    aphaake Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Stephanie! My family is going to Cedar Point at the end of July, our first trip. Since you're a nurse you already know all of this but it took me three months to lose 10 pounds. It's just a process. And you have to really follow and track everything to a tee, that's the only way it works. No cheating. You didn't say how long you've been on here but you may just be gaining muscle, though walking may not do that. It is frustrating, but again, it's a process. It's amazing how easy it is to pack on the pounds and how long it takes to get rid of them. You can also adjust your calorie goals and make them less than what they recommend. Good luck--and stay with it.

//Ambra
  • cpumeu
    cpumeu Posts: 89
    Options
    Don't give up all bodies are different. You said your trying to cut calories are you sticking to the assigned calories? Are you eating the calories burned...that's very important. Eat as many of your calories as you possibly can. Try adding another kind of workout...you didn't mention how long you've been working out. Is your diary open to view...maybe that can give a clue. Friend me...Don't give up...post everything, everything and eat your calories you will see a difference in time!
  • Robadobasaurus
    Options
    Hey, if you are totally new you need to give it a week, in fact scratch that give it a week anyway before weighing, and weigh yourself at a same time of day - ideally first thing on the morning. I do my weigh in on Thursdays.

If you fill out the form to set your goals correctly on MFP and you stick to a healthy loss plan - 1lb a week, then you will lose weight but you have to be really strict.

The biggest loss for me was stopping the amount I was drinking and just marking everything down, its easy to find products in the food listings that give you a couple of extra calories here and there but you have to be really honest with what you are eating - if you whack the butter on your toast its not going to be the same as someone who spreads it like they think its precious material.

top tips:

1. weigh 1 day a week and once only at the same time every week.
    2. be honest with your food, dont go over your calorie allowance for the day.
    3. mark down everything you eat.

it sounds like you are doing a bit of exercise which is great so keep that up and start to increase it healthily.

keep it up and it works
  • brekai2003
    Options
    Hi! I understand about being frustrated.:mad: The things that worked for me when I first started was drinking A LOT of water (more then what MFP suggest). I also tracked every single thing I ate. Sometimes changing up your workout/fitness routines helps your body not to become used to the samething. If you like walking more then other things maybe adding some ankle weights when you walk and then the next day don't use any. I honestly don't like to walk however I do walk with Leslie Sansone which gives me different moves that doesn't allow my body to become used to the same routine. I sure hope this helps. :smile:
  • StephanieLPN
    StephanieLPN Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your input, looks like I've found a forum that I can really get into. I do the walking with Leslie Sanstone as well, I actuallly look forward to doing the walk daily. I'll stick to just weighing once a week, although it's going to be a challenge, I'm always wanting to check for daily progress. :wink: I look forward to working with you folks and getting to know you.
  • jollywolly
    Options
    I'm new too and also frustrated. I work out a lot and, granted, it isn't 8 hours a day it still is more than before. I'm losing inches off my waist and hips but no pounds. Yes, I log ALL my food (including my Memorial Day blowout) so it's not the calories. Why would the inches drop but no weight?
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Jolly, it looks like you have answered your own question. You said you work out all the time and you are not losing weight, just inches. That would indicate to me that your body is replacing fat with muscle. Muscle weighs more but occupies less space. I would say congratulations! Losing inches is better than pounds. Keep up the good work.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Jolly, it looks like you have answered your own question. You said you work out all the time and you are not losing weight, just inches. That would indicate to me that your body is replacing fat with muscle. Muscle weighs more but occupies less space. I would say congratulations! Losing inches is better than pounds. Keep up the good work.

^THAT^
    So good job.:) I bet its your legs too!!! I am in my stubborn 15 pound journey (a great problem^_^) but not if Im serious about it and I actually gained back the one pound plus 2 more. I also have been doing real pushups so much I don't even log them anymore.

I would try incorporating some green tea, unless your a coffee drinker then never mind. I am not a consistent coffee drinker because I can't handle that kind of caffeine all the time. But green tea is full of good antioxidants and can boost your metabolism too!:) it should also give you enough energy to go out that much more and hey you may even go a little further on your walks thus burning more:)God bless
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I changed up my routine (added lunchtime walking, lift heavy 3 days a week, run 2-3 days a week) I didn't really lose at first - I think I gained. I read somewhere that when you start a new routine, it sometimes takes awhile for your body to adjust. I stuck with it, and after 2 weeks of frustration, I dropped 4 lbs, and have been losing approx 1 lb a week since.

Hang in there and stick with it - if anything, all of the walking will be good training for your trip :smile:
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I hope the OP enjoyed her trip to Cedar Point... Three years ago....
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I hate necro-posters!