I don't get this starvation mode

Options
mclgo
mclgo Posts: 147 Member
OK, so if I'm allowed 1660 daily calories to lose 1 lb a week, but eat about 1200-1400 per day, supposedly I could be in starvation mode and my body will hold on to fat.
BUT if I adjust my settings to "lose 2 lbs per week", which says to eat 1400 per day, supposedly I'll lose.
What is the difference?

Confused,
Margaret

Replies

• kuzmacombat95
    kuzmacombat95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just curious who said that you were in starvation mode? 1200 is the bare minimum though, for most women, so if you keep it above that, you'll be fine.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Supposedly? No.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make sense because it is not a thing. It's a myth.

Put your stats into Mfp. I would advise sticking to 1-lb/week as it is more sustainable. Eat the recommended calories. Done.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    just so you aren't confused any longer...starvation mode as it is understood by the general public ie body holds onto fat doesn't exist.

There is a mechanism in the human body called adaptive thermogenisis that does cause a slow down in it's functions after a long period of low calories or starvation to help preserve body functions such as heart beat etc.

The minimum recommended for adult women is 1200 calories...that is the lowest you can go and still manage to get in all RDA macros/micros as I understand it.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you got the idea of starvation mode - it isn't what you think it is. If you eat 1200 - 1400 calories, you will still lose weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Holy zombie thread...
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ha! I didn't realize it was a zombie thread before I posted. That zombie took a looooooong time to regenerate. I hope the OP figured this out long before she received any responses.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Holy zombie thread...

Haha, no kidding!

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Holy zombie thread...
    It's not like the question isn't evergreen around here, though.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Starvation Mode is a thing. However, unless you are a captive or running a 30 day Endurance Event....if those even exist I don't think you will accidently run into it. Your calorie goals sound fine. Ignore this other noise.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Holy zombie thread...

Damnit
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Holy zombie thread...

Damnit

darn it...*smh*
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Just curious who said that you were in starvation mode? 1200 is the bare minimum though, for most women, so if you keep it above that, you'll be fine.
    The post you responded to is over two years old.

What made you pull up this thread in the first place?
  • lrachel011
    lrachel011 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode does not mean that if you eat a small amount of food then you will magically gain weight, it means that if you continue restricting eventually you'll hit a plateau where you won't lose any weight, but it doesn't mean that you gain.