Need to get a handle on this

Options
kaoldham
kaoldham Posts: 14 Member
I have been in and out of this 'healthy' lifestyle mindset for the last 3 years or so. As such, I've managed to lose 3 stone but I know the biggest battle seems to be psychological.

I just can't seem to ditch comfort eating or consistently stick to an exercise plan. More often than not, I generally eat well. The problem is when I get lazy, when I get lazy, I eat *kitten*, when I eat *kitten*, I get tired, when I get tired, I get lazy... And there we have the vicious cycle I seem to be stuck in at the moment. Sugar and simple carbs being my biggest problem areas.

The last couple of weeks have been pretty chaotic, so I've not even been visiting the gym (which I did start going to regularly around my Ashtanga class x2 a week). My tutor is away for all of August, so the gym is the only thing (aside from sporadic walks on my lunch break/cycling on the office bike) that I plan to do, but need to do at least 3 sessions this week (Wednesday, Friday, Sunday this time).

What I could do with is some simple but tasty ideas for meals/snacks suitable for vegetarians that would help curb sugar/carb cravings. I can't get away from it, but I hope to get around it.

I'm still fairly new to the whole gym thing, so I'm having to build that up. I've been doing HIT training on the treadmill up to 4km (includes 5min warmup/cooldown). I did my induction where they showed me the equipment, but I never really know what's actually worth my time. At the moment I'm pretty much just going in on the tread, taking some time in the sauna, then leaving. I've tried the rowing machine but I find that hurts my shoulder, though I don't have any injuries I'm aware of. I have enjoyed swimming in the past but this gym is terrible for it - the pool is either rammed or booked out. The odd times it looks like I can fit in people are swimming in all kinds of crazy directions and it takes forever just to do one length!

Any suggestions welcome!

Overall I feel I need to lose 4 stone in total to get to a 'healthy' weight for a curvy woman (10 stone). I'm generally pretty physically fit, just lazy. If that makes sense.

Replies

• EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    For me personally when I eat processed carbs I get sugar cravings, bad. If I stay away from processed carbs the cravings fade. If you're looking for meal ideas, and have an Android phone, I highly recommend the app DietPoint. It has helped me tremendously in healthy meal ideas.
  • kaoldham
    Options
    Did you just go cold turkey, Eselle, or did you find something that took the edge off?

Thanks for the tip, I shall have a look at it!
  • wiggawaggle
    wiggawaggle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    personally, i've been keeping some of the 'healthier' ready meals in the kitchen so that i have something lazy to cook
  • kaoldham
    Options
    To be honest, Wigga, ready meals aren't a problem I've dealt with for a while. I realised a while back that I can make a stirfry or eggs/omlette quicker than it takes to wait for the ready meal to be zapped. It's really the snacking that's the issue but, for whatever reason, I've not been able to shift from it. I expect there's something I'm lacking and I'm compensating with rubbish instead. Or my brain's wires are just fried.