When do you need weight lifting shoes?

Options
I started weight lifting a couple of weeks ago (using Stronglifts 5x5). The weights are still quite light, as I'm practicing form. The only appropriate shoes I own are my running shoes, so I've been wearing those. At what point does it make sense to get shoes more suited for lifting (ie flat sole, etc)?

I was looking at these, since they're cheap ($18.75):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFS5L2O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35BM1E8F6HM9J&coliid=I3VO68EV2CJ1OX&psc=1

I don't want to buy something I don't need, but if they'll be genuinely useful even for a beginner, then I'll go for it. Especially if it saves my running shoes from unnecessary wear and tear.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    For the money, who cares? Unless you're destitute give them a try. I found them very important for squatting, as raised heels gave me hell with my squat form for a year at least. Then again if you ARE destitute you could just go barefoot.

Your mileage may vary.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Those are good, and i'd get them relatively soon. Do you NEED them? No.. just like you don't need to run in running shoes. If you can afford it, it's a good idea. :+1:
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I can squat and deadlift in my socks at our work gym but most commercial gyms have a policy against it around where I live. So, flat wrestling shoes and plates under my heels when I'm at a commercial gym.
  • bakerkate221
    bakerkate221 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For less than twenty bucks I'm not concerned about the cost. I guess I would just feel stupid wearing "special shoes" if they weren't particularly necessary. When I go to the gym, I've been lifting and doing cardio, and my gym requires that you change out of your street shoes when you come inside (to keep the place cleaner). So I would be bringing two pairs of shoes with me. At least the shoes I linked to don't really look like lifting shoes, with the velcro and whatnot.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I wear chucks but those are fine. You can always just use the stationary bike or the step mill on the days you need to wear your flat sole shoes, if you don't have too much trouble with your feet. That's what I do...I mean, if I ever decide to actually do cardio.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    And yes, they are going to be necessary very soon. You really don't want to be squatting and dead lifting in running shoes.
  • bakerkate221
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions! I'll get them on order. =)
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    My squat form improved when I stopped wearing my running shoes. Give them a try and see what you think.
  • Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I wear chucks but those are fine. You can always just use the stationary bike or the step mill on the days you need to wear your flat sole shoes, if you don't have too much trouble with your feet. That's what I do...I mean, if I ever decide to actually do cardio.

x2 for Chucks. They are inexpensive and used a lot by powerlifting as they're so good.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Kr15by wrote: »

x2 for Chucks. They are inexpensive and used a lot by powerlifting as they're so good.

Those are good too, if you have skinny little dancer feet.
  • eatgoodeat
    eatgoodeat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Kr15by wrote: »

Those are good too, if you have skinny little dancer feet.

LOL barbelle
    ballet.gif

• JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I put plates under my heels for squats. Other than that, just normal cross trainers.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    These are similar to chucks, just a wider toe box and bit more cushioning/support.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    This is good information from the stronglifts page: I love to lift barefooted but if you're going to a gym where you can't then there are good suggestions here. Running shoes should be avoided.
    http://stronglifts.com/weight-lifting-shoes-squats-deadlifts/
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    just wear converse chucks
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    These are similar to chucks, just a wider toe box and bit more cushioning/support.

Yes. I have the Reebok TR lites (different color than the one you pictured) and chucks. I love my reeboks. Chucks are too narrow in the toe for me and the reebok cups the heel nicely. The reeboks do not have a raised heel for squatting, but for an actual squatting shoe with a raised heel you're going to pay a lot more than $19. Chucks are actually a lot more expensive than the TR lites on Amazon. The TR lites are going to be a huge improvement from your running shoes. The cushion on the bottom of running shoes is too unstable, especially as the weights get higher.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Anything flat will do. I wear my Vibram fivefingers or my Vans slip-ons.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I can squat and deadlift in my socks at our work gym but most commercial gyms have a policy against it around where I live. So, flat wrestling shoes and plates under my heels when I'm at a commercial gym.

I go the socks route. My gym owner doesn't mind.
  • bakerkate221
    Options
    I've got them on order and am excited to try them out. I deliberately did not want something with a heel... I don't seem to have a problem going all the way down in my squats (low-bar). Just looking for something flat and not cushioned. Thanks for all the opinions!