My struggle with a plant based diet

Options
Hi all! I just started a couple days ago. I recently decided to have a plant based diet for 30 days in order to see if being a vegetarian is for me. Unfortunately, I can't keep weight on even while eating meat. The only way that I am able to keep weight on is if I gorge myself on unhealthy, fatty food. Any tips on how I can gain my weight back?

I work out about 4 times a week but have been wary about losing an unhealthy amount of weight. I lose weight very quickly if i work out
I'm just doing yoga now but would like to get back into my routine.

Replies

• Serena795
    Serena795 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Eat calorically dense foods like tahini, chickpeas, beans, and nut butters. These are also good sources of protein and will guard against muscle loss if you have lost weight.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Look at the calorie dense food list in the nutrition sub forum.
    Also, drink some of your calories. Full fat milk for example is a calorie rich "healthy" bevarage.

Also, it sounds that your normal calorie intake is already on the low side. Track your food properly to see what you need to adjust.
    Also, nothing wrong with some ice cream, chocolate or cookies. As long as you fill your nutrient needs, it doesn't matter where the remaining calories come from.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    opening your diary would help, so people can give you ideas what to add/swap
  • SkeletonWithMuscles
    SkeletonWithMuscles Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1½ cup of raw oats mixed with a (frozen) banana, ½ tbsp cinnamon, ½ tbsp cacoa powder and 1 serving of cooked beans (Chickpeas or Pintobeans).
    Blend it in a blender until it's smooth. Put it in the fridge for few hours.
    Easy 500 calories. Drink it 2 times per day (it gives 1000 calories extra total per day). Between meals or after it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If it's a struggle and you aren't doing it for ethical reasons, maybe add back some meat or fish? If it's for ethical reasons, full fat dairy, cheese, nuts, avocado, eggs, or protein shakes/bars.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ice cream is always a calorie bump for me.
    and pizza.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I find it way easier to eat more calories now that I don't eat meat. Make a big-*kitten* bowl of pasta and put some Alfredo sauce on it.

Deep dish pizza
    Full fat everything dairy
    Peanut butter
    Blend up nut butters, whole milk, full fat yogurt and plenty of fruit. Or juice the fruit. Drink lots of calories!
  • jayla73
    jayla73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What helps is uping your fat intake and eating more calories dense food like loads of rice, potatoes, etc. Just make sure you're eating enough cause I don't know exactly what you're eating. Definitely eating more then you more will for sure make you gain weight. If you want any help just message me, I have loads of experience with that this topic.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Serena795 wrote: »
    Eat calorically dense foods like tahini, chickpeas, beans, and nut butters. These are also good sources of protein and will guard against muscle loss if you have lost weight.
    Well said!
    Also, snacking on almonds and other nuts is good too as well as avocados.

• lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Serena795 wrote: »
    Well said!
    Also, snacking on almonds and other nuts is good too as well as avocados.

• LipglossandLunges
    LipglossandLunges Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Im vegan :)

Id suggest some healthy fats like avocado, nuts and seeds.

If you're lifting maybe some plant based protein will help.
    Like some of the following:
    Nut butters
    Tofu
    Soy milk
    Soy "meats" processed maybe, but they definitely help making a meal whole imo and protein goals

Alllssssooo to help with gaining, carbsss <3<3
    Quinoa
    Couscous
    Rice
    Pasta

• VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you may be losing a lot of muscle if you lose very rapidly. And it seems like your diet does not have enough protein. Of course, it depends on what kind of exercise you do (doing yoga, you may not need as much protein as weight-training or high-intensity exercise, for instance). Try increasing your protein a bit. I used to eat only a plant-based diet. I know it is very possible to get the calories and protein you need from a plant-based diet. However, with my personal current goals of building more muscle, I have incorporated white meat and fish as well to hit my macro goals (I find I eat too much fat and carbs in relation to protein if I only do plant-based protein like nuts or beans). Can't do red meat though (nope it grosses me out still lol). Anyways, it all depends on your goals. Play around with your nutrients breakdown and maybe increase weight-based exercises as well and don't do too much cardio.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, if you go vegetarian, you need to make sure you eat the right combination of foods in order to get complete proteins.
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Look up bee pollen that might help with your protein intake and overall health as well.
  • Bonebag7136
    Bonebag7136 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1½ cup of raw oats mixed with a (frozen) banana, ½ tbsp cinnamon, ½ tbsp cacoa powder and 1 serving of cooked beans (Chickpeas or Pintobeans).
    Blend it in a blender until it's smooth. Put it in the fridge for few hours.
    Easy 500 calories. Drink it 2 times per day (it gives 1000 calories extra total per day). Between meals or after it.

That sounds delicious! Do you ever add vegan protein powder to your smoothies and/or overnight oats? It's an easy way to add calories and protein to a meal or snack!
  • CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love avocado toast! 1/3 or 1/2 an avocado on ezekial (or other whole grain bread) with zit the salt and garlic powder. Also, the smoothie above sounds helpful.