Feeling discouraged...

Runnermadre
Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I don't know what to try to make any difference. I've been "stuck" for about 6 weeks. I tried changing my goals to .5 pound/week, which helped at first. I immediately lost almost 3 pounds, but it immediately came back. I don't understand why I can't seem to lose any more weight. I very rarely go over my allotted amount of calories, I run 5 times a week, and I'm on day 22 of the 30DS. On days that I have a lot of extra calories from exercise, I don't always eat every single one back, but I always come out above 1200 on my net. I just feel like this has been a lot of "lost" time. I should be at my goal by now if I had been consistently losing. I know I'm building muscle, but I don't understand why I can't shake these last few pounds. I've been watching my sodium intake, and most days it stays well within the recommended range.

Fewer calories, more calories, different workouts,... nothing seems to make the scale move! Any suggestions?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Judging from your pic (looks great btw) and from reading how you are "stuck" maybe your 125 goal is unrealistic?

Just something to consider
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    How close are you to your goal? Maybe your body is trying to tell you it doesn't need to lose anymore weight?? I've been stuck gaining and losing 3-5 pounds for the last month! I can understand how you feel. But it's not "lost" time because you're taking care of yourself!!
  • Cath138
    Cath138 Posts: 60 Member
    I agree with Rybo. You look really good and look really healthy! Maybe you're body is trying to send you a message!
  • AMcMaster
    AMcMaster Posts: 41 Member
    me too me too,
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    It looks like you have made some great progress! Congratulations on that! You should be very proud of yourself for that! You say you run 5 days a week? Maybe your body is getting use to doing the same exercises. It is important to mix up the exercises you are doing! Are there any other forms of exercise that you have tried? How is your nutrition? You need to keep pushing yourself harder, which sometimes can be hard, but I can motivate you through it all! Message me and we can talk :)
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Did you take measurements when you started? Are your clothes fitting any differently? Try not to focus so much on the number. Make sure you are getting enough water and enough sleep. Change up your workouts to incorporate different things or do sprints instead of a long run. I don't know what your food log looks like, but just like your body can get used to exercise, it can get used to the things you eat as well.... so don't be afraid to change it up!

If nothing else, you ARE healthier for what you are doing. Keep your chin up!!!
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 216 Member
    If you're building muscle mass, that might be your explanation right there. Are you noticing other things besides your weight on the scale, like fitting into smaller sizes or having more running capacity? Those are important too.
  • Judging from your pic (looks great btw) and from reading how you are "stuck" maybe your 125 goal is unrealistic?

Just something to consider

I was thinking the same thing. At 5'5" you are well within the healthy range. Don't worry so much about the number you look great.
  • Runnermadre
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement! To be fair, I feel like my picture makes me look a lot smaller than I really am. I am still carrying more fat than I would like around my hips, stomach, and love handles. My upper body has come a long way, and I'm pretty happy with it, and I don't have any big complaints about my legs either. It's all around the middle. I am down to a size 6 (US), and I started in a 10 or 12. I have made a lot of progress, I just wish I could shed this weight around my mid section.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement! To be fair, I feel like my picture makes me look a lot smaller than I really am. I am still carrying more fat than I would like around my hips, stomach, and love handles. My upper body has come a long way, and I'm pretty happy with it, and I don't have any big complaints about my legs either. It's all around the middle. I am down to a size 6 (US), and I started in a 10 or 12. I have made a lot of progress, I just wish I could shed this weight around my mid section.

I just briefly skimmed about a week of your food log. Try cutting your sodium down to 1500 mg a day.... Not to sound harsh, but there are a lot of days you are well over the 2400 mg... and it can take several days for the water weight from that to come off. So if you are over 2 or more times a week, you could be consistantly holding onto that water.

Also, eat breakfast.... consistantly. Include some whole grains and protein 2-3 egg whites and 1 whole egg... low fat lots of protein! .
    Good luck... add me if you'd like...
  • Runnermadre
    I just briefly skimmed about a week of your food log. Try cutting your sodium down to 1500 mg a day.... Not to sound harsh, but there are a lot of days you are well over the 2400 mg... and it can take several days for the water weight from that to come off. So if you are over 2 or more times a week, you could be consistantly holding onto that water.

Also, eat breakfast.... consistantly. Include some whole grains and protein 2-3 egg whites and 1 whole egg... low fat lots of protein! .
    Good luck... add me if you'd like...

Yes, you're right, this past week has been not so great for sodium. We've been on the run a lot, and my food choices have been a little rough. I will definitely try cutting my sodium down even more! I know my diary is set up sort of strange, but I usually do eat breakfast, but I have a toddler, and sometimes that doesn't happen until after 10am. :-) Thanks for the suggestions!
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    If you're doing everything right and it's not working, maybe you need to take a closer look. Do you know your body fat percentage? Do you have a heart rate monitor? If you are eating under maintenance, you will lose over time. So I wonder are you measuring food accurately with a scale? Maybe if you spend a couple of weeks really scrutinizing what you eat and what you burn, you'll bust through the plateau. Good luck!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    My thoughts are that you need to do more strength training. Build more muscle everywhere. That's going to lower your BF%. If it's the fat around your mid section that you are unhappy with, I'm thinking that's the only way to get rid of it.
  • Runnermadre
    If you're doing everything right and it's not working, maybe you need to take a closer look. Do you know your body fat percentage? Do you have a heart rate monitor? If you are eating under maintenance, you will lose over time. So I wonder are you measuring food accurately with a scale? Maybe if you spend a couple of weeks really scrutinizing what you eat and what you burn, you'll bust through the plateau. Good luck!

Thanks for mentioning this! I actually am very careful about each of these things. My scale measures body fat, muscle percentage, water, BMI, BMR, and weight. I always workout with a heart rate monitor, and subtract my BMR calories when I log it. The kitchen scale I have is digital and it measures both grams and ounces, but I prefer grams since they are more accurate. :-)
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Feeling discouraged sucks, but you have made much progress and gotten to a great place. I joined this site recently and been reading lots of old threads on different topics, including a great one on expectations (of course can't find the link to thread...). The jist is if you are in a healthy BMI range (under 25) then you shouldn't be looking necessarily "lose" more weight, but rather work on toning and redistributing mass. Generally that means more strength training, less carbs and more protein, while still eating the same amount of calories you are now (plus more on exercise days). I used to low cab only and for those going for a lean, athletic, kind of ripped look would go for close to 1 gram of protein per pound of current weight and adjust carbs accordingly. I bet you would see some changes with less than that, but still upping your protein some. I'll try to find the thread I was reading...
  • I am feeling the same way. I have started running.. been going to the gym.. trying to eat better... but nothing's working. I CANNOT lose any weight! I stopped weighing myself ( thats why it says i've only lost a pound) thinking maybe that would help.. NOTHING!
This discussion has been closed.