Plantar fasciitis

Options
I have been suffering from Plantar fasciitis since around 3 months now. Partly because of I am overweight and party due to wearing *kitten* shoes. I trekked in *kitten* shoes and it made it worse. I have been stretching and doing exercises which is helping me recover. Like calf raises and rolling Pin. Friends do you have any suggestions. I live inIndia, so options get limited.

Replies

• jeweidanz
    jeweidanz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Really good shoes and ice.
  • rohitbabaji89
    rohitbabaji89 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Started using really good shoes Soliman XT HORNET.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Stretch it constantly.. at least 1-2 times an hour. Search Youtube for "plantar fascia stretch".

Also Google "homemade Strassburg sock". Make one, and wear it while you sleep.
  • judoal618
    judoal618 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I had a injection in my foot for mine .but in the end I had some inserts made by a chiropodist which did the trick ..
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I found a list of exercise in the following website. I did that and within days I was feeling better. Also instead of a rolling pin or tennis ball I do it with a frozen water bottle.

http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthtopics/content.asp?hwid=tr5853
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    1) Get a night splint. This is basically the only treatment that has been shown to bring immediate (albeit temporary) relief. They cost like $20USD, and in my experience they work much better than the Strassbourg Sock.

2) Get good shoes. I bought a nice pair of walking shoes with motion control, they made a big difference. Plantar fasciitis shoes should have relatively firm soles, and they shouldn't have raised heels.

3) Stretch your calves. A lot. Calf tightness is a really common cause of plantar fasciitis.

4) Do the rolled towel exercise -- basically, you stand on one foot on the edge of a stair, with your toes on a rolled-up towel and your heel hanging over the edge, and slowly lift yourself up (count to 3), hold at the top (count to 2), and slowly lower yourself to the bottom (count to 3). Do 12 of those on each foot, every other day, and start to add weight as it gets easy. This has been shown to help a lot with recovery time, even though it can hurt like hell to start. Look this up on google, this was a big discovery in the last year or so.

There's not much else you can do. Ultrasound treatments have been shown to probably speed recovery but they cost a fortune and can be hard to find.
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have this as well. My foot doctor told me that I have to wear shoes that have a small heel. It does seem to help a lot. Also, be sure you do stretches when you get out of bed first thing to loosen up the back of your leg and your heel tendons. I have to do this routinely and when I do, it's a lot better than when I don't. When I get out of bed I put the sore foot in back and the other one in front and lean on the bed or a wall. With your bad heel off the floor a little, take your whole body down a couple of inches so you can feel it stretch...and hold it for a bit. Do this a few times in the morning. Good luck!
  • brad837
    brad837 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had it a few years ago after I started running and hiking a lot. I did nothing (the male hormone in me) just stretched my calves before and after a hike or run, and first thing in the morning.
    Seemed to go away for me...
  • JulesC5
    JulesC5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had this last year, still get it at times, my physiology told me to roll a golf ball under my foot which stretches the tendons. No jumping or extreme pressure for months is the best cure, but boring and unrealistic when keeping fit! Justo be patient, easier said than done!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Get the green Superfeet insoles for your exercise shoes (and other shoes, too).
  • slowrollem
    slowrollem Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    JulesC5 wrote: »
    I had this last year, still get it at times, my physiology told me to roll a golf ball under my foot which stretches the tendons. No jumping or extreme pressure for months is the best cure, but boring and unrealistic when keeping fit! Justo be patient, easier said than done!

This. It hurts like hell but do it everyday. Also, freeze a sports bottle with water in it and use that as your rolling pin.