Short people close to goal, check the math!

Options
jaga13
jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
I'm 4'11 and 124 lbs. I want to lose roughly 10 more lbs. I've always followed MFP's recommendation for a .5 lb weekly loss, and have lost exactly that amount for months while eating the recommended calories.
Each time I lose another pound, I update my Goals section, and MFP slightly drops my calorie amount. I double check the math by changing my Goal to Maintenance.

For example, a few weeks ago MFP went down to exactly 1200 on the nose. So I changed my goal to maintenance and sure enough, it said 1450. Exactly 250 calorie difference for a .5 lb loss, so it was correct.

But a few days ago I entered my new weight, one pound lighter, and MFP remained at 1200. I checked it by changing to maintenance and there was a problem....maintenance is now 1420. That's no longer enough deficit for a .5 lb weekly loss (it's 220 instead of 250). I understand it's MFP's policy to not recommend lower than 1200, but if I disregard the reality of the math behind this process, it will take more than 2 weeks to lose a pound. And the deficit will continue to get smaller as I lose more weight.

I still plan on eating more than 1200. As it is, I generally eat around 1400+ due to exercise. But now I plan on exercising just a little more to make up for the lost 30 calories a day (as if my goal was 1170 + eating back exercise calories).

Replies

• chasingthesun85
    chasingthesun85 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same exact thing! I'm 5'1 122 lbs and I don't agree with the one size fits all approach!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I don't know, seems the general consensus is something like .25 pounds per week for every 25 pounds over weight.

This I believe is to preserve muscle mass and allow adequate nutrition.

So 10 pounds to go it seems .25 pounds should be your goal not half a pound.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I don't know, seems the general consensus is something like .25 pounds per week for every 25 pounds over weight.

MFP doesn't go lower than 0.5 lbs per week, though, so I think it's 0.5 lbs per 25 pounds overweight.

OP -

If I don't get in 3k steps in a day and I'm eating at a deficit, my calorie goal is 1260 right now. I'm 5' even and 118 lbs. Being a shortie sucks sometimes!

~Lyssa
  • deannaxsmithx
    deannaxsmithx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    4'9 & 100lbs. Close to my goal, too. I customize my calorie goal using a TDEE calculator and ignore MFP's recommendations. MFP wants me to do 1200 calories a day because I'm so small, but I have no problem eating 1300-1400. Do what works for you.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 and maintained at 100-105 lb.
    I started at 130, lost the initial few lbs at a pound a week, but it soon dropped to half pound a week. The last 10 took months ( just over a pound a month) eating at 1200 and 50% exercise eat back.
    I thought the slow loss was worth it for muscle retention as well as satiety.
    My maintenance is 1200 also, I eat back virtually all exercise calories now though.

Cheers, h
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

MFP doesn't go lower than 0.5 lbs per week, though, so I think it's 0.5 lbs per 25 pounds overweight.

OP -

If I don't get in 3k steps in a day and I'm eating at a deficit, my calorie goal is 1260 right now. I'm 5' even and 118 lbs. Being a shortie sucks sometimes!

~Lyssa

Maybe I got pounds and kilos mixed up. Half a pound might be right.

• jaga13
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

OP -

~Lyssa

Maybe I got pounds and kilos mixed up. Half a pound might be right.

yeah, the general consensus is 1/2 a lb, and MFP doesn't have a lower setting. So I have to mentally subtract those extra calories.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and I have seen this happen to me from the start. I know what my maintanence will be at my goal weight so I know when I wont be losing but, .01 a week. Such is life!
  • jaga13
    Options
    I am 5'4 and I have seen this happen to me from the start. I know what my maintanence will be at my goal weight so I know when I wont be losing but, .01 a week. Such is life!

I also have checked out what my maintenance will be at goal (assuming it's 10 more lbs....I'm not completely sure yet). It will be 1390. I appreciate knowing that in advance. Considering I usually add 200 calories from exercise, it will be a nice amount when I finally shift to maintenance.
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I started at 130, lost the initial few lbs at a pound a week, but it soon dropped to half pound a week. The last 10 took months ( just over a pound a month) eating at 1200 and 50% exercise eat back.
    My maintenance is 1200 also, I eat back virtually all exercise calories now though.

Cheers, h

I'm a little worried about this. Being 5'1.5", I know my maintenance calories will be pretty low too. I don't mind eating at 1200 calories to lose, but I'm hoping to eat more like 1500-1600 in maintenance. I do workout so I'll get those to add in, but ugh!
  • jaga13
    Options
    dinsfamily wrote: »

Cheers, h

I'm a little worried about this. Being 5'1.5", I know my maintenance calories will be pretty low too. I don't mind eating at 1200 calories to lose, but I'm hoping to eat more like 1500-1600 in maintenance. I do workout so I'll get those to add in, but ugh!

@dinsfamily, rather than worry, find out what the number is. Go to your Goal section and change your current weight to whatever you hope to eventually weigh, and change the setting to maintenance. Then you'll know exactly how many calories you'll be given when you hit maintenance (keep in mind it won't include exercise calories....so it's very possible you will be able to add enough from exercise to eat 1500-1600).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Dinsfamily,
    I am quite old at 61, so you will probably get a higher maintenance being younger.

Though 1200 is my maintenance, I do iifym in the winter when my workouts are more structured and eat 1400- 1450 cals.

I find trying to compare calorie goals with others of a similar size an interesting exercise, but calorie intake, at any stage, is very individual.

Cheers, h.
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »

@dinsfamily, rather than worry, find out what the number is. Go to your Goal section and change your current weight to whatever you hope to eventually weigh, and change the setting to maintenance. Then you'll know exactly how many calories you'll be given when you hit maintenance (keep in mind it won't include exercise calories....so it's very possible you will be able to add enough from exercise to eat 1500-1600).

Thanks! I'll do that. I have a ways to go til I hit maintenance. With about 10 lbs to go it will be SLOW, it'd be nice to get my mind prepared for what is to come.
    Dinsfamily,
    I am quite old at 61, so you will probably get a higher maintenance being younger.

Though 1200 is my maintenance, I do iifym in the winter when my workouts are more structured and eat 1400- 1450 cals.

I find trying to compare calorie goals with others of a similar size an interesting exercise, but calorie intake, at any stage, is very individual.

Cheers, h.

Very true. My exercise varies a lot depending on the season (running and non-running seasons, LOL) so it will be nice to know what my baseline is. I guess it will be a little trial and error for a bit. Even 1400 calories seems very doable to me for the long run. 1200 is easy and satisfying when I eat at home with my controlled pantry and veggie-rich fridge. It is going out for a bite and a beer with friends every once in a while that makes it tough. Those restaurants know how to pack calories into a meal for sure!