Appetite suppressant

Options
I'm considering an appetite suppressant in addition to other weight loss tools.

Are there any appetite suppressants otc that actually work?

I drink a lot of water and that seems to help, but any other tips?

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Nope. You don't need appetite suppressants. The best one is willpower and a need to not be overweight any more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    If appetite suppressants really stopped people's appetites, there wouldn't be an obesity issue. While some drugs do work, the majority of supplements with the claim just give you some fiber and caffeine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Exercise works pretty well for me :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Exercise works pretty well for me :)

This. Yep, exercise, keeping busy, and motivation.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Even if there is an appetite suppressant that works, many people aren't overweight because they ate when they were hungry, but because they ate when they weren't. Unless there is an appetite suppressant that makes people feel as full as they do after Christmas dinner, I don't expect it would work, and what an uncomfortable way to live your life.
  • lisasweetlisa
    lisasweetlisa Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use to try all kinds of appetite suppressant meds. I even was on Phenfen. Now I am fighting AFIB. I haven't taken any of these for years. Like easily 10. But, when I was taking them that is when my AFIB started, my heart just corrected itself. Now it won't.

When I went to see my doc about it the first thing she asked is, Are you taking any herbs or diet pills?
    I've come to the conclusion they are NOT good for you. Most of them race your heart and who knows what else.
    I was, if not, weighed more once I went off of them.
    Trust me they are not a long term item you want.

Now I have to lose the weight or look at a stroke, heart attack and I'm looking at a pace maker in my future.
    What my suggestion is figure out your WHY. WHY do you want to lose the weight.

If your WHY is something strong, like mine is to help my AFIB and hopefully keep it under control, to not have a stroke or heart attack, to be able to live a long healthy life with my husband,

If Your WHY is strong like that then determination KICKS in and you will be determined to lose and all obstacles will start to diminish.

If your WHY is weak, I want to look good for my family reunion, a date, to fit in a swimsuit then your WHY won't give you enough determination to get you through the cravings and desires.

Have your "I will eat a craving day" but still watch your calories. Do more cardio on those days. I had a Double BLT with my husband with fries the other night from Ihops. We shared all of it, but my calorie intake was way more than I was allowed. So, I went to the gym and did 50 min. of cardio and I was once again back in the green.

• mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Black coffee, peppermint tea. I've been told different herbs help with weight loss but nothing works as well as staying well hydrated!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Eat more satiating foods to help with hunger, if you are actually feeling hungry. Fats and proteins are good choices to help with this. Weigh and log them to keep under your calorie deficit.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You're already using the best one - water. Well that and food. Magic pills just aren't worth it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Gym for me as im away from the major food at home plus im drinking water and too busy doing exercise.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Water and if I really need it, coffee. Not sitting at home all the time - stay active and you won't mindlessly eat.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Even if there is an appetite suppressant that works, many people aren't overweight because they ate when they were hungry, but because they ate when they weren't. Unless there is an appetite suppressant that makes people feel as full as they do after Christmas dinner, I don't expect it would work, and what an uncomfortable way to live your life.

I agree with that. A main reason I'm here is because I've kept eating when I'm not hungry out of stress or habit. Finishing what's on my plate, getting seconds just because other (larger & more active) people are, buying an extra breakfast because I got to school early, etc. I'd worry about getting off the suppressant, or getting acclimatized to it, and then being extra hungry after because I'd gotten used to a different level of appetite.
  • KellyKat09
    KellyKat09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Take benefiber and drink plenty of water if you're not getting enough fiber. That will help you on multiple fronts.
  • yudue
    yudue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some things that have worked for me have already been listed, but I will say them again:

Fiber supplements like Benefiber are fabulous. It really can help, but be careful to not consume a large amount at first or it can really upset your gut and cause bloating. I had a teaspoon of it here and there, and slowly worked my way up to the recommended amount.

Coffee has worked for me in the short run, but beware you can be fine for a couple hours and then suddenly hit with a wave of intense hunger if you use it to skip a meal. It works great to drink in addition to a balanced meal, or inbetween meals.

One thing that has really been the most effective for me is loading up on raw veggies that are low calorie but full of fiber, like a couple celery sticks or a mountain of lettuce. That way you can fill your stomach with healthy, clean food and get the satisfaction of eating a large amount ;D
  • Cup_
    Cup_ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Eat more satiating foods to help with hunger, if you are actually feeling hungry. Fats and proteins are good choices to help with this. Weigh and log them to keep under your calorie deficit.

This!! Has helped me immensely.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    OTC pills don't work. I don't know about these new prescription ones. People were dying of kidney failure before they even listed any possible renal complications to one of the top ten most prescribed drugs in America. It's still a very RARE thing to have happen, but that's little consolation to a widow.

New things frequently get added to the possible complications after lots of people start taking the drugs. Me, personally...if I didn't need to take a newly-marketed pill, I wouldn't take it.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Ya don't need 'em.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How long have you been logging food here? Take a look at your diary and see how you're doing with your macros - are you hitting your fat and proteins? Many people find that higher amounts of fat and protein leave them feeling fuller longer, which in turn means you won't be hungry. I'm trying to incorporate more fats into my meals - haven't quite found the balance between protein and fat but I'm getting there!

Many veggies are great snacks, too, as you can have a fairly high volume of them for low calories. That's worth trying if you just need a small afternoon snack to get you by till dinner or similar.

I've found coffee helps get me through till lunch if I don't have time to snack - I just drink it with a little half & half so it comes out to ~20 cals.

From what I've read, most of those OTC pills are little more than caffeine pills - so you might as well have some coffee or get a flavor enhancer for your water that has caffeine, lol.

~Lyssa
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    NECRO Thread
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    NECRO Thread

Ugh, I didn't even catch that.