What is your motivation?

Options
Good morning family! Hope everyone is well and on the right path with their fitness goals. This morning I was just wondering what keeps everyone motivated? If we are honest with ourselves, we are able to admit that the fire and desire to work out is not always there and there will be some days where we have to push ourselves. Some people get along just fine and get on that treadmill, elliptical, pop in that dvd, hit the trail, or whatever the case may be and get it over with...but for some folks (like me), its hard when we get to that sluggish feeling day. What is your motivation, what keeps you going even on the hardest day? BTW, I am looking for more friends, so feel free to add me! :)

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Stress! It's my only me time, if I don't work out, my time becomes a priority to everyone else but me. I keep my fitness time to stay focused.
  • code_monkey_001
    Options
    What has kept me going is accountability - I told my boss, my coworkers, friends, and most importantly my daughters that I was quitting smoking and starting an exercise plan. They were all very supportive and kept asking me how I was doing.

It's now 4 months later, I'm down 47 pounds and quit a 25-year nicotine habit.

All because I shared with those around me, they've given me strength, and I feel I'd be letting them down if I let up even if there were no one there to catch me cheating.
  • Skypooh06
    Skypooh06 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have several things to keep me motivated. I have put up old pictures of myself, when I was smaller. I also have certain songs that get me pumped up and my co-workers and I have started a mini Bigges Loser contest. I am a sore loser so I have to go in.
  • KhollerSA05
    KhollerSA05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ok feel free to laugh my motivators are kind of odd.
    1) all the skinny girl clothes in my closet that i can't fit back into yet. I may end up tossing them because they are outdated, but I at least wanna be abel to fit
    2) I just bought a bikini and I will wear it in public before the end of summer
    3) wanting a new closet. Mine isn't as functional for me as I would like it to be, so when i reach my goal I get a new one.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    What keeps me motivated is the weight going down every time I hop on a scale. Losing the weight makes me look good, therefore I feel good. My friends at school are a great motivator too. They are the reason why I eat healthy and exercise every day.
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well, for me when I have a bad day all I have to do is stand in front of the mirror with just my undies on and that gets me back on track. I can see that I have more weight to lose but I can also see what progress I've made, both get me thinking on track again. I would like to find out what I can do to be more motivated to excersize more, it's something I must hate to do cuz I can talk myself righ out of it most of the time!! lol
    Thanks for adding me as your friend! It's good to have friends helping and motivation us!! :drinker:
    Holly
  • BlessedHeart
    BlessedHeart Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going, is the goal of reaching a healthy weight and achieving a more slender, healthy body. I also want to set a good example and be a good role model for my family. Plus......the great feeling after a workout makes me feel amazing!!!! :happy:
  • BlessedHeart
    Options
    Major kudos. Congrats!:flowerforyou:
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You're right! Sometimes I do have to push myself to work out (as much as I'm starting to like it). Sometimes I'm tired, cranky, or just plain don't feel like doing it. Most times I can muster up the energy to do it because I'm determined. (I've also learned to know when my body just needs a rest!)

On days I need some extra motivation, I'll log on to MFP and usually something will strike me and help me get moving. Other times, nothing works. I just feel like I'm DONE. Just yesterday, I did something I've NEVER done before. I sent a text to a friend asking them to "kick my @$$ and tell me to get to the gym." He responded a few minutes later with "I just sent you an email." Here is what he sent:

"> As the clock ticks, your body may feel tired
    > and your brain may come up with a rational reason
    > to not go
    > so rely on your spirit, your will, that voice inside of you who promised
    > that you would not turn away when moments like this arise,
    > because it's not about feeling 100 percent
    > it's about giving 100 percent with what you have"

I got my mojo back after reading this. He was right. I promised myself I would not give up when things got hard or "I didn't feel like it." He reminded me.

I went to that kickboxing class and kicked some major heavybag butt!
  • MDdavis25
    MDdavis25 Posts: 7
    Options
    My motivation is to be healthy and prepare myself for my future family.
  • BlessedHeart
    Options
    What has kept me going is accountability - I told my boss, my coworkers, friends, and most importantly my daughters that I was quitting smoking and starting an exercise plan. They were all very supportive and kept asking me how I was doing.

All because I shared with those around me, they've given me strength, and I feel I'd be letting them down if I let up even if there were no one there to catch me cheating.

Major kudos! Congrats! :flowerforyou:
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options

Wow! Congrats :)
  • TruckinThePoundsOff
    Options
    My biggest motivation is to not be called: The Big Guy, you remember that guy he was the really fat guy, Hoss, The overweight one. Those kind of people are my biggest motivation.
  • KStaff87
    KStaff87 Posts: 36
    Options
    Well, for me when I have a bad day all I have to do is stand in front of the mirror with just my undies on and that gets me back on track. I can see that I have more weight to lose but I can also see what progress I've made, both get me thinking on track again. I would like to find out what I can do to be more motivated to excersize more, it's something I must hate to do cuz I can talk myself righ out of it most of the time!! lol
    Thanks for adding me as your friend! It's good to have friends helping and motivation us!! :drinker:
    Holly

Wow, I need to try that more often! lol! I do it every now and then but I need to do it more, LIKE TODAY lol!
  • KStaff87
    Options
    My motivation is to be healthy and prepare myself for my future family.

That is a really great motivater....I feel the same way, I want to be in shape when I have kids, I don't want all this extra weight holding me down and I'm unable to keep up with them! lol!
  • KStaff87
    Options
    My biggest motivation is to not be called: The Big Guy, you remember that guy he was the really fat guy, Hoss, The overweight one. Those kind of people are my biggest motivation.

Lol, I know how you feel! I hate to be called anything but my name. When someone is asking "Hey do you know Kyndra?" And they're like yea the thick chick, or that kind of big girl?" That is so embarrassing to me!
  • KStaff87
    Options
    You're right! Sometimes I do have to push myself to work out (as much as I'm starting to like it). Sometimes I'm tired, cranky, or just plain don't feel like doing it. Most times I can muster up the energy to do it because I'm determined. (I've also learned to know when my body just needs a rest!)

On days I need some extra motivation, I'll log on to MFP and usually something will strike me and help me get moving. Other times, nothing works. I just feel like I'm DONE. Just yesterday, I did something I've NEVER done before. I sent a text to a friend asking them to "kick my @$$ and tell me to get to the gym." He responded a few minutes later with "I just sent you an email." Here is what he sent:

"> As the clock ticks, your body may feel tired
    > and your brain may come up with a rational reason
    > to not go
    > so rely on your spirit, your will, that voice inside of you who promised
    > that you would not turn away when moments like this arise,
    > because it's not about feeling 100 percent
    > it's about giving 100 percent with what you have"

I got my mojo back after reading this. He was right. I promised myself I would not give up when things got hard or "I didn't feel like it." He reminded me.

I went to that kickboxing class and kicked some major heavybag butt!

Wow your friend had some very wise words of wisdom.....I may need to read that myself when ever I'm feeling sluggish, lol!
  • KStaff87
    Options
    Stress! It's my only me time, if I don't work out, my time becomes a priority to everyone else but me. I keep my fitness time to stay focused.

That's great!
  • KStaff87
    Options

That's great!
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound SO stupid, but i really like to consider my distance running training as zombie apocalypse training. When i start to get really fatigued, i just think, "Sara, would the zombies take a breather, or would they tear you apart. thats right, keep going." it keeps it fun :)