Stuck and frustrated. Maybe there is an answer?

Options
Good morning! I guess I will just dive in. I have the will to lose weight, and I thought the know-how. But I have completely lost motivation. Essentially, I have been eating 85-90% healthy, lower carb, more veggies, fruits, less portions, etc. I have also been working out for an hour each morning, 5X per week (cardio everyday and strength training 3X). I only have alcohol and sweets on occasion. To give you a timeline, I have been at this with great effort since the beginning of the year. We are now in August and I have not lost a pound! I know weight loss takes time, but I expected something by now. My clothes do not fit any better, and the scale has not moved. My doctor told me my thyroid levels are "normal", as are my iron levels and I think he also tested my vitamin D ("normal"). I am a 31 year old female. Is anyone else having this problem? Could it possibly be something medical? I am not getting my help from my doctors - they seem to be of the opinion I need to "more more, eat less". Ok, but I have been doing that for 7 or 8 months? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It's odd how people can come to the forums with a problem and not give us the most important information which could tell us why they aren't losing weight...
    • Are you using an electric food scale?
    • Are you logging accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, HRM or machines?

OP, open your diary so we can see your logging.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I found I have to log everything I eat accurately (using a food scale) to get good results- otherwise I eat more than I think.
    Also only eat back half your exercise calories. Get your hormones tested for PCOS (polycystic ovarian disease) cos that can make it harder to loose weight.
  • stefanienin
    stefanienin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I indeed use measuring cups and an electronic food scale. I log food with MFP. I get my calorie burns from the machines and MFP. (I'll usually average them - I know machines aren't always accurate, but I the treadmill and elliptical I use allow for heart rate monitoring, and height, weight, and age input).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    It's odd how people can come to the forums with a problem and not give us the most important information which could tell us why they aren't losing weight...

This ^^

Basically ... are you absolutely sure you are eating fewer calories than you burn?

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

This ^^

Basically ... are you absolutely sure you are eating fewer calories than you burn?

^^ this
    The burns on MFP can be very high.

Also are you logging all liquid calories?
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It would help if you could open your diary. What foods do you use the measuring cups for and what foods do you use your digital scale for?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I indeed use measuring cups and an electronic food scale. I log food with MFP. I get my calorie burns from the machines and MFP. (I'll usually average them - I know machines aren't always accurate, but I the treadmill and elliptical I use allow for heart rate monitoring, and height, weight, and age input).

As I said, open your diary so we can see your logging... what you might call 'accurate logging' might not actually be accurate.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options

So when you started with MFP, you entered your details, selected Sedentary, selected how much you want to lose (i.e. 1 lb/week) and MFP gave you a maximum number of calories to eat .... right?

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Totally ditch the measuring cups, just use the electronic scale.

There must be something going on if you haven't lost weight by now, especially if you have no medical condition, and the two main culprits are usually not measuring food properly and so are eating too much, or overestimating calories burned, (or sometimes both).
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest that you try a premeasured packaged plan for a week to 10 days to rule out any logging errors? I'm not a big fan of eating processed packaged long term but if you lose on a premeasured diet..it is a sure bet that portion control is the issue.

The other area that sneaks up on us is how sedentry we really can become. Take an look at how much time you spend on the computer or sitting. How much time spent doing household chores, walking to the store or being outside.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    One other basic question: what is your height/weight now? Are you in the healthy range?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,962 Member
    Options

Many people here suggest you eat back no more than 50% of the calories you've earned from exercise.