Coming off low carb gaining weight

Options
I just came off of a low carb diet. I went from under 40 carbs a day to just counting calories and not eating over 2500 calories a day. I weigh 337 pounds so 2500 is low for me with exercise thrown in too.

With the low carb I went from 354 to 333 in 2 weeks. 3 days after going low calorie with carbs I'm up to 337, 4 pounds up in 3 days!!!

Guys what is going on? I'm losing motivation quickly after great success.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Low carb strips body of glycogen which is bound to water

Reintroduce carbs and the water weight that whooshed away in the first couple of weeks whooshes straight back on (10-15lbs worth)

It's not fat it's water...ride it out
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    10-15 lbs seems excessive, a few lbs at most in most people but yes it's most likely storing more glucose and water with it.
  • ShawnApple
    ShawnApple Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That really sucks :( it was such a motivation to lose weight then now seeing it come back faster than I lost it :(
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    It's water weight

It doesn't count
  • ShawnApple
    Options
    That's true. Thank you guys.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you lost some fat while on your initial diet plan

Give it time and see what works best for you.

It may take two months to see the weight number go down where it was.

But if you are eating less than you burn, you are doing the right thing.
  • ShawnApple
    Options
    That's why I hate the low carb diet. I did it before and it came back. I figured do it to jumpstart the weight loss and then do a regular diet. Guess I just have to work extra hard now.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you stuck to it and lost 150 lbs then the few lbs of water weight regain would not have been an issue, perhaps.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    ShawnApple wrote: »
    That's why I hate the low carb diet. I did it before and it came back. I figured do it to jumpstart the weight loss and then do a regular diet. Guess I just have to work extra hard now.

Just stick to your calorie defecit and accept a reasonable weight loss over time.

Low carb may not be for you but it is a way for some to meet their CICO
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Add back healthy carbs like veggies and fruits and a little cooked whole grain. Put that biscuit down!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Add back healthy carbs like veggies and fruits and a little cooked whole grain. Put that biscuit down!

Meh

Stick to your calorie defecit ...get a wide spread of nutritionally sound foods to hit your macro and micro nutrients and feel free to fit in biscuits when you choose

Personally I like white farmhouse toast with egg white and cheese, spinach and mushrooms for a nutritionally sound breakfast with great macro and micro nutrient splits ...your advice would tell me that's not appropriate ..my 56lbs weight loss and current maintenance would make that advice unreasonable for my approach
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight. Seriously, don't worry about it, you'll lose it again. I'm quite sure it always happens when people go from low carb to eating carbs again, as your muscles replenish their glycogen.
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It's a huge mental block I know.. but I think you need to set a day (today/tomorrow) where what you weigh is your new benchmark, and you can monitor your losses from then on.

It sucks, but it's water as everyone says, so you only need to worry about the fat/muscle in reality.

Good luck!