Full licence to tell me what I'm doing wrong :)

Options
Does anyone want to look at my diary and tell me where they think I can improve? I think my weekdays are pretty okay, and I fall by the wayside at the weekend (especially in the summer due to Weddings and Summer drinking).

Apart from logging and making better choices at the weekend, where do you think I can improve?

Height - 5ft 6.5inches
Weight - 163.0lbs
Calorie goal 1350-1400
Active 4 times a weekish? (cardio, incorporating weights as soon as I've finished reading The new Rules of lifting for Women!)

Replies

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Your diary doesn't seem to be open x
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Nothing seems wrong here.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You could eat a lot more veggies!
    Also, I would get tired of babybel everyday. There are so many wonderful cheeses that you can weigh and portion out.
    I don't think I noticed fresh fruit that much either.
    Nuts are a great nutritious snack when weighed and portioned out!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well are you losing? As long as you're losing, you're not doing anything wrong. If you stop losing, that's when you have to tighten your logging and try to make better choices.

I'd eat a bit more protein and fat, personally, but I guess your goal is low.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well are you losing? As long as you're losing, you're not doing anything wrong. If you stop losing, that's when you have to tighten your logging and try to make better choices.

I'd eat a bit more protein and fat, personally, but I guess your goal is low.
    Not necessarily true!
  • MissAbbee
    MissAbbee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You could eat a lot more veggies!
    Also, I would get tired of babybel everyday. There are so many wonderful cheeses that you can weigh and portion out.
    I don't think I noticed fresh fruit that much either.
    Nuts are a great nutritious snack when weighed and portioned out!

I go with babybel because they're already pre portioned, but I'll take all your points on board :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    For me, too little (actually non-existent) fruit, vegetables, and too little "real" food (although this is more of a matter of feeling full and personal taste preference). Since my personal idea of what a balanced diet looks like would be this: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/
    for me what you eat is extremely unbalanced, sorry.
  • slowrollem
    slowrollem Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree, more fruits and vegetables. I see a lot of drinks or bars instead of whole foods. I guess it all comes down to preference if you're within your calories, but why not eggs, veggies and greek yogurt w/ fruit for breakfast.

Or snack on carrots, cucumbers, peppers or almonds instead of sweets.

Just my two cents. Fwiw, the Babybel lights are 50cals, I LOVE these! You may want to double check your selections when logging.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If you keep eating food like this only you'll end up overweight in the long run. Ditch the junk. Add some vegetables and fruit. You are supposed to eat 2.5 cups of fresh vegetables a day with a serve of 1/2 cup x 5. That's what we are supposed to aim for. Why? Because that's how you get the nutrition your body needs to run optimally . Also two pieces of fruit.

That crunch bar you are eating, is not actually a particularly healthy thing. You are probably eating a lot of added sugar in your food. I've fairly recently learned that a healthy level of sugar as in added sugar is 6tsp per day or less. More leads to over indulgence.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    MissAbbee wrote: »
    Does anyone want to look at my diary and tell me where they think I can improve? I think my weekdays are pretty okay, and I fall by the wayside at the weekend (especially in the summer due to Weddings and Summer drinking).

Apart from logging and making better choices at the weekend, where do you think I can improve?

Height - 5ft 6.5inches
    Weight - 163.0lbs
    Calorie goal 1350-1400
    Active 4 times a weekish? (cardio, incorporating weights as soon as I've finished reading The new Rules of lifting for Women!)

Eat more vegetables and fruits.
    Log everything you consume- even on weekends.
  • anechka1981
    anechka1981 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd personally add more variety of grains, but that's just me :smile: 50 grams of rice as good carbohydrates not a lot to keep you energetic through the day, but then if you cope with it ok, probably not a problem. I personally wouldn't even count bran flakes as serious source of energy, it is over processed, so it is almost similar to cookies. Also, I see that u use chicken breast. I recently got so tired of chicken breasts, that I bought my own mincing machine and started to make my own beef and chicken meat balls with no fat in it, plus all organic. To make it softer I add avocado, flax seeds and all spices that I want. Just a little tip I'm sharing :smile:
  • MissAbbee
    Options
    I'd personally add more variety of grains, but that's just me :smile: 50 grams of rice as good carbohydrates not a lot to keep you energetic through the day, but then if you cope with it ok, probably not a problem. I personally wouldn't even count bran flakes as serious source of energy, it is over processed, so it is almost similar to cookies. Also, I see that u use chicken breast. I recently got so tired of chicken breasts, that I bought my own mincing machine and started to make my own beef and chicken meat balls with no fat in it, plus all organic. To make it softer I add avocado, flax seeds and all spices that I want. Just a little tip I'm sharing :smile:

Thanks! I do eat a lot of chicken breasts as we buy them in bulk so mincing might be a good idea!
  • MissAbbee
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    If you keep eating food like this only you'll end up overweight in the long run. Ditch the junk. Add some vegetables and fruit. You are supposed to eat 2.5 cups of fresh vegetables a day with a serve of 1/2 cup x 5. That's what we are supposed to aim for. Why? Because that's how you get the nutrition your body needs to run optimally . Also two pieces of fruit.

That crunch bar you are eating, is not actually a particularly healthy thing. You are probably eating a lot of added sugar in your food. I've fairly recently learned that a healthy level of sugar as in added sugar is 6tsp per day or less. More leads to over indulgence.

I agree the crunch bar was unhealthy, but I've also found that restricting and cutting things like chocolate out of my diet entirely cause me to fall off the wagon and eat an entire family bar of something instead.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Most of us could improve our nutrition choices, but the OP is not going to be overweight if she stays at her calorie level.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

That's completely rubbish.

If she stays under her calorie goal- she's fine. I eat "junk" regularly- and I gain and lose in the manner in which I intend to. And yes I said gain on purpose because some times I do.

I would agree with adding more veggies- but not because "it's healthier." It's going to make hitting a lower calorie goal like 1400 easier if she's filling up on lower calorie- but higher volume foods.

The trick with losing isn't completely cutting out "junk" its' finding a balance you can live with that doesn't make you stabby- it's just a budget.
    It's like this: Let's say I have 35 bucks this week.

I can spend it on food- or I can go to the mac counter and buy 2 new eye shadows.

Some days I buy the eyeshadow- and some days I buy my food. If I chose to buy the eyeshadow and not food- then I have two choices- go into "debt" and put food on my CC- or not eat.

Or I can buy just ONE eye shadow- and have food- but not as much.

Same with your food-
    Chicken veggies "health" food = the food
    Cake- Ice cream candy- snacks high calorie not filling foods = the eye shadows

some days you chose to have all your chicken and veggies.
    some days you chose to have all your cakes and go hungry
    some days you say eff it- have your food and the cake- and then you go into "debt"

but it's about finding the balance of what keeps you full, what keeps you happy and what gets you to your goals.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

What? As long as she doesn't go over her calories (and she isn't) she won't gain. OP doesn't have to exclude anything from her diet if she doesn't want to, there's nothing wrong with 'junk' in moderation. She could probably add a few more vegetables, sure, but how she's eating now isn't really unhealthy.
    There's also nothing wrong with sugar. You say that more leads to over indulgence, but that isn't the case for most people. If it's the case for you, then fine, but don't give advice to the OP that won't fit her. If having treats like chocolate in her diet rather than cutting them out helps her to stay on track, then that's great! It's always best to learn to moderate treats so that you're happy and don't overindulge if you give in.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    OP if weight control is the only goal, you will be fine. If it is overall health, you could do better. You can maintain a perfect weight on whatever food you like.
    Also, note that this is a calorie counting site. Not a healthy eating site. The average poster here can advise you on how to lose weight: count calories, eat whatever you like. If health is among your long term goals, do your research.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok so to be more specific about little things you could improve...

- more protein
    - more fat
    - I'd replace the regular yogurts by Greek yogurt for extra protein
    - I'd eat less rice and replace it with more veggies
    - I'd ditch the cereal and milk for breakfast, personally, for something with more protein and fat, but if it works for you, *shrug*
    - more veggies and fruit
    - I'd log your week ends, no matter how awful they are, so you're not surprised if you don't lose
    - I'd eat more variety, but that's just me. I'd be so sick of chicken and rice by now LOL.
  • MissAbbee
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ok so to be more specific about little things you could improve...

- more protein
    - more fat
    - I'd replace the regular yogurts by Greek yogurt for extra protein
    - I'd eat less rice and replace it with more veggies
    - I'd ditch the cereal and milk for breakfast, personally, for something with more protein and fat, but if it works for you, *shrug*
    - more veggies and fruit
    - I'd log your week ends, no matter how awful they are, so you're not surprised if you don't lose
    - I'd eat more variety, but that's just me. I'd be so sick of chicken and rice by now LOL.

If I'm adding more fat and proteins are you suggesting a low carb diet? How low would you suggest?
  • MissAbbee
    Options
    Thanks everyone! When Patttience posted I got quite disheartened, but I know I need more fruits and veggies!! For example I had peas and spinach with my chicken and rice today I just haven't logged it yet :)