Low calorie fillers

Options
Hi everyone

I keep ending up having one proper meal and then having to snack on low calorie stuff the rest of the day to stay within my calories. Does anyone know any low calorie meal bulkers that's aren't boring so I can bring the calories down in the meal or know of any low calorie meal ideas so I can fit everything within my calories. I love to cook so looking for something new. Thanks in advance ☺

Mel

Replies

• Suzley
    Suzley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hello! Do you have a spiralizer? They are great for turning courgettes or carrots into noodles! Then you can make an enormous stirfry that's filling and really low cal. I work from home so I can't keep any binge triggers in the house. I keep bags of frozen veg ready to mike for when I just need to eat something hot! It took me a while to work out how to do this thing! You have to go with the routine that you can stick to. If that is one meal and lots of snacks, then stick with it! I use a lot of ready meals as I need the quickness or I pick pick pick! Good luck xx
  • melanieh541
    melanieh541 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply it's really helpful ☺ that's the thing though I want to be able to have 2 proper meals cos I'm finding I'm getting really hungry. Wanna find something low so I can pick at that instead of other time x ,
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    What about vegetable sticks and hummous? Or a low fat cottage cheese and fruit? They're not the most exciting ideas, but you have the option of using lots of different types of fruits and veggies so you don't get bored, and you can do the same with hummous if you have a food processor or a blender. It's very easy and cheap to make yourself.
  • Minxi78
    Minxi78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am new to this too (2 weeks only), but I have been making homemade "vegetable chowder" (without the cheese), and one full bowl is only 148 calories. I make the soup, then divide it into equal portions, so that I can easily warm up one bowl at a time for the next few days. I also got a steamer, and make a lot of steamed veggies with the meals, which means I put less starch on my plate. I am also trying to eat more often, so I don't ever really end up super hungry.
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Fill up on vegetables - they should take up most of your plate,and fill you up! Just make sure you're getting all your nutrients in and still eating enough calories. If you're feeling hungry all the time, eat! Moderate and regular, don't overly deprive yourself. Cottage cheese, low-fat/soy yoghurts, ryvita, berries and soups are all good low-cal things, if that's what you're looking for.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    For fillers I usually go for greek yogurt. It's only about 100-150 cal but has 15+ grams of protein which will keep you full longer.
  • Sharksfan01
    Sharksfan01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Casein powder in a smoothie is really filling. And GNC has casein 90-100 calories per scoop. You only really need one scoop
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I love a snack of celery with a wedge of baby bel light swiss spread. 35 calories for the cheese + 15 calories for 3 ounces of celery = alot of satisfying crunch time for 50 calories. I get the Garlic Herb baby-bel, so it has alot of flavor.
  • mrsdrshot
    mrsdrshot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hey there Melanieh541 - if you're eating the right foods, you should be able to have 3 proper meals a day plus snacks and still come in within your budgeted calorie range. That's the hard part, making the switch from what you've always eaten to things that are similar, but better for you. This was SERIOUSLY HARD for me, but it's much better a couple of weeks in than it was at first. What are you eating for your one proper meal?
  • melanieh541
    Options
    I suppose it just making the change. I keep thinking it's really hard but I managed to lose 7 pounds in my first week and it was my friends birthday weekend and I'd been out for dinner so when I think about it.....always good to know some tricks to bulk things out and stop me going off track
  • KezJT
    KezJT Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    what cals are you eating to only get one meal a day? My main meals come in at 500-600cals, with 200-300 for breakfast and 300-400 for lunch I can still hit 1200 a day. Because of my lifestyle I often eat less for breakfast and have some cals left for evening snacks.

My favourite meals have plenty of veg, but I mostly eat standard protien, carbs and veg such as chicken, quinoa & a bean salad or fish, potato and mixed veg as I make meals for the whole family. Soup is rally filling and low cal - provided its homemade and not eaten with too much bread:) Ryvita or crackers with cottage cheese/philidelphia/chicken makes a good snack. So do boiled eggs....
  • loumrn
    loumrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I always keep soda water by my desk at work. Whenever I get a rumbly tummy I take a swig. And I love red pepper cut into sticks to chomp on.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Why do you only have one meal. Usually the quality of food is better in a meal than as a snack. But anyway you can snack on fruit and bits of vegetables any old time. Also a boiled egg.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? Do you pre-log and plan your food? I'm trying to understand how you only have room for one meal!

As a general rule - bulk everything out with vegetables! My main meals are between 300-400 then snacks. I have overnight oats for breakfast. Soups, salads and eggwhite frittatas for lunch. Dinner is something I can bulk out for my DH but keep calorie controlled for me. Things like burrito bowls (two cups of my home made salsa is only 150 calories), vegetable curries etc. Tonight we had beef ramen - I still had noodles but I bulked it out with bean sprouts. My snacks are usually things like hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, fruit and raw vegetables (e.g. celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, berries) and green smoothies.
  • melanieh541
    Options
    Yeah I think it's the snack I am having that most make me feel limited. I'll be honest I have a draw at work which has things like quavers and ryvita thins in for me to snack on instead of the other bits that are brought into the office. These still add up though I suppose. If it was up to me I wouldn't eat meat at all. I love carbs!! Maybe I notice the change more because it's my favorite thing I've really had to cut down on. Got to do it though
  • bumblebeejec
    bumblebeejec Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Melanie. . . I have been working on getting healthy for six months now. Early in the process one of my MFP friends commented that I wasn't eating enough protein. This was invaluable because I was logging my food for calorie content, but not paying attention to the other nutritional information. Protein is important so don't overlook it. Another important point is to log your food every day. I just recently have been travelling and haven't been logging regularly and my food has gotten sloppy as a result. Very important! Glad to say that I decided today was the day to get back on the wagon and I read your post.
    Also, I would guess that you are not eating enough food if you are eating one meal a day and lost 7 lbs in one week. Expect to feel hungry if you are not eating properly. I have only lost 20 lbs. I work out with a trainer 2X a week and try to do a pool class 2X a week. (This routine has been hurting with my travelling also, but you get the idea.) Try not to get caught up in how much weight you lose. Try to get caught up in eating healthy and thinking healthy. I do not weigh myself more than once a month. It's a slippery slope to wanting a quick fix. I didn't get unhealthy in a month so I'm not going to get healthy in month. js
    Hard boiled eggs are good to keep around for snacking. I like them in beet juice...sometimes that can quiet a hankering for something sweet. My local market always has rotisserie chickens made. I'm not a meat eater either, but keeping something like this handy is a good go-to for a quick protein. Also, an apple with peanut butter or rice cakes with peanut butter is a good snack. And. . . I love berries with greek yogurt for a great snack with lots of protein.
    Just keep plugging away one day at a time and you'll get to your goals! Good luck!
  • melanieh541
    Options
    Hi Melanie. . . I have been working on getting healthy for six months now. Early in the process one of my MFP friends commented that I wasn't eating enough protein. This was invaluable because I was logging my food for calorie content, but not paying attention to the other nutritional information. Protein is important so don't overlook it. Another important point is to log your food every day. I just recently have been travelling and haven't been logging regularly and my food has gotten sloppy as a result. Very important! Glad to say that I decided today was the day to get back on the wagon and I read your post.
    Also, I would guess that you are not eating enough food if you are eating one meal a day and lost 7 lbs in one week. Expect to feel hungry if you are not eating properly. I have only lost 20 lbs. I work out with a trainer 2X a week and try to do a pool class 2X a week. (This routine has been hurting with my travelling also, but you get the idea.) Try not to get caught up in how much weight you lose. Try to get caught up in eating healthy and thinking healthy. I do not weigh myself more than once a month. It's a slippery slope to wanting a quick fix. I didn't get unhealthy in a month so I'm not going to get healthy in month. js
    Hard boiled eggs are good to keep around for snacking. I like them in beet juice...sometimes that can quiet a hankering for something sweet. My local market always has rotisserie chickens made. I'm not a meat eater either, but keeping something like this handy is a good go-to for a quick protein. Also, an apple with peanut butter or rice cakes with peanut butter is a good snack. And. . . I love berries with greek yogurt for a great snack with lots of protein.
    Just keep plugging away one day at a time and you'll get to your goals! Good luck!

I completely understand I have to eat enough bit that's what made me think cos the app is telling me I'm eating spot on but I just don't feel like I'm getting a lot. And yeah the weight has dropped off but I'm not one for a quick fix ( I spent 2 and a half years losing 7 st and 6lbs) and know they don't work. I suppose it's just finding the balance that is right for me ☺
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Pb2 on 2 rice cakes.