Travel to Italy

Options
grassette
grassette Posts: 976 Member
Does anyone have any advice on counting calories while traveling and eating in restaurants in foreign countries? We will have web access to this site every day, but are wondering how to input what we eat. Any tips?

Replies

• tsmom1128
    tsmom1128 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    just do basic ingregients, make the recipe, and log it that way.
  • ajh2011
    ajh2011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good thing is you will probably be doing a LOT of walking. I did when I visited there a few years ago. Make smart choices but enjoy yourself too. If you are like me, you may not be able to go back as much as you'd like:) I am so jealous!! I would LOVE to go back there:)
  • msunique133
    msunique133 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try to log it to the best of your ablity. You even can ask when you buy things what exactly is in it. I know when I went to Italy the portion size was small anyway and I walked literally all day which gave me much excercise. Make sure you drink water. Have a good time luv.
  • grassette
    Options
    We are bringing our pedometers, so we will be able to figure out the calories of our walking. I thought of doing recipes, except that will be limited by what we can see on our plates. How much oil used will be hard to figure out. Ditto for pastries. We don't speak the language, which makes it that much more difficult.
  • ajh2011
    ajh2011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    We are bringing our pedometers, so we will be able to figure out the calories of our walking. I thought of doing recipes, except that will be limited by what we can see on our plates. How much oil used will be hard to figure out. Ditto for pastries. We don't speak the language, which makes it that much more difficult.

Just make sure you have some gelato- it is so worth the calories. And as far as the language barrier goes, I was there for two weeks and only met one person who didn't speak English. They are used to tourists:)
  • grassette
    Options
    Thanks for the input and the great suggestions.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Italy is actually a really easy place to eat well. Depending on where you go they don't use a lot of heavy sauces and if you;re like me a holiday abroad means lots of walking. You may have to add things separately, but that should be your biggest hurdle.

Have a great trip.