Need BIG help gaining weight!

Options
josue023
josue023 Posts: 1 Member
Hey everyone, I am 18 years old trying to gain weight, but it's hard for me. I eat quite a bit, but I may not be eating foods with high calories. It's overwhelming being 5'5 and only weighting 115 pounds. I want to know what can I do to gain weight? I do a lot of walking at my job approximately 5 miles in total!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just eat calorie dense foods... nuts, avocado, red meats (especially higher fat cuts), full fat dairy, ice cream, high calorie protein bars, high calorie protein shakes or if you need to, drink some calories. But keep in mind, that if you are trying to add muscle, then you need a progressive weight lifting program so when you gain, it's not all fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Just eat calorie dense foods... nuts, avocado, red meats (especially higher fat cuts), full fat dairy, ice cream, high calorie protein bars, high calorie protein shakes or if you need to, drink some calories. But keep in mind, that if you are trying to add muscle, then you need a progressive weight lifting program so when you gain, it's not all fat.

this..

are you new to lifting?

if yes, then I would suggest looking into starting strength, strong lifts, or all pro beginner routine.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    josue023 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I am 18 years old trying to gain weight, but it's hard for me. I eat quite a bit, but I may not be eating foods with high calories. It's overwhelming being 5'5 and only weighting 115 pounds. I want to know what can I do to gain weight? I do a lot of walking at my job approximately 5 miles in total!

What are you eating?

Add full fat dairy, nuts, seeds, nut butter, bagels, doughnuts, avocado
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Eat more
    Eat/drink full fat
    And drink your calories (at some point your body has enough nutrition to live, why not drink your surplus calories).
  • gtmfitness
    gtmfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What's up man.....my experience is that I am 19 years old. Same struggle as you.

What you need to do:

1)Saying "I eat quite a bit" is not helping any of us assess if you ACTUALLY are eating enough.
    And yeah you definitely need to eat more calorie dense foods.

2)Focus on getting really freaking strong in the 4-8 rep range.
  • Success22
    Success22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with gtmfitness, this worked for me ; when you focus on getting strong you will get results in the gain area. Along with eating regular + drinking protein shakes, ensures, etc.
  • kohabby
    kohabby Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great comments here..I too am trying to put on weight..I'm 39 weigh 46kg height 5ft 2 bmi 18.5 so have just started a 2500 high calorie diet..day 3 and I am forcing myself to keep on target. Liquid form seems easier for me so at least 500 calories are from shakes etc..gd luck to all :#
  • mrsortiz91
    mrsortiz91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi every one! So I'm new on this & hoping yall can help me through all this, support & inspire me to reach my goals! My name is Daniela & I always like making new friends.
  • tinaschultz0327
    tinaschultz0327 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello Daniela, I am Tina. I am trying to gain weight. I would like to gain at leat 20lbs. 5 down 15 more to go. We can do this!!!! I don't know how to add friends. But if you like you can add me and we can support each other.
  • Asheyricketts
    Asheyricketts Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm new here, seeking support and inspiration to achieve my weight gain goals...oh and I'm Asheree by the way!!