Intermittent Fasting and a Low-Calorie Diet?

Options
I have been doing some research on IF, and I currently eat about 1500 calories a day. Would it be safe to fast one day out of the week as far as calories and nutrients go?

Replies

• WomanPower79
    Options
    not even sure...... i mean maybe considering you will have 1800 over 1200 a day anyway since you eat 1500*6 days a week.. But dang.. i really dont know Babe. I'd be interested to see what others say.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    theres an eat stop eat thread...im sure u could get some good info off that io think its ese how its worked for me
  • GeminiStayFresh
    Options
    Thanks I did, I am still confused on how it works but I will figure it out.
  • MikeHankins
    MikeHankins Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    . I have questions myself. Most of them I just want to get others advice or opinions. I was watching Oprah and there was a Dr who lost over 100lbs. The crazy thing is that even with all of her education and experience she admitted to the fact that she should have known how to do it. Truthfully we all know what are body needs. We just get in a hurry... For no other reason but vanity. Lets face it. This is the truth. However, I will say that fasting maybe beneficial if you were doing it using a detox. I wouldn't recommend it once a week. Maybe once a month. Fasting that often will for sure through you into starvation mode. Which we all know is your bodies way of reserving fuel to make sure that you dont run out. Slowing metabolism is never a good idea. You have to ask yourself. What is more important, reaching your goal weight quickly or reaching it healthy. It may take a while and 2lbs a week is a slow rate. I know, i wrestled my entire life until college. I have dropped as much as 17lbs in a day... Yes it is possible. I was majorily dehydrated. However, it wasnt until i was early 20's that i realized i was slowing my muscle development. You may get to your goal weight. But restricted diets tend to give you limited results. Just like the Atkins diet. Everyone i know who did it was misserible and when they reached there goal weight they were lighter but their body shape stayed the same. Of course alot of this has to do with working out. Yet if you dont feed your body the food and nutrients you wont beable to build the muscle you want. The major problem with this is that people forget that the heart is just a large muscle. We need to feed it. Also, your mood and sleep could be affected. At 1st people experience a high when fasting then a major low and super cravings that usually overcome the person the next day or so. Feed yourself well. The weight will come off. It tooks some of us years to get to our lows. We cant expect it to change over night.
  • GeminiStayFresh
    Options
    . I have questions myself. Most of them I just want to get others advice or opinions. I was watching Oprah and there was a Dr who lost over 100lbs. The crazy thing is that even with all of her education and experience she admitted to the fact that she should have known how to do it. Truthfully we all know what are body needs. We just get in a hurry... For no other reason but vanity. Lets face it. This is the truth. However, I will say that fasting maybe beneficial if you were doing it using a detox. I wouldn't recommend it once a week. Maybe once a month. Fasting that often will for sure through you into starvation mode. Which we all know is your bodies way of reserving fuel to make sure that you dont run out. Slowing metabolism is never a good idea. You have to ask yourself. What is more important, reaching your goal weight quickly or reaching it healthy. It may take a while and 2lbs a week is a slow rate. I know, i wrestled my entire life until college. I have dropped as much as 17lbs in a day... Yes it is possible. I was majorily dehydrated. However, it wasnt until i was early 20's that i realized i was slowing my muscle development. You may get to your goal weight. But restricted diets tend to give you limited results. Just like the Atkins diet. Everyone i know who did it was misserible and when they reached there goal weight they were lighter but their body shape stayed the same. Of course alot of this has to do with working out. Yet if you dont feed your body the food and nutrients you wont beable to build the muscle you want. The major problem with this is that people forget that the heart is just a large muscle. We need to feed it. Also, your mood and sleep could be affected. At 1st people experience a high when fasting then a major low and super cravings that usually overcome the person the next day or so. Feed yourself well. The weight will come off. It tooks some of us years to get to our lows. We cant expect it to change over night.

I definitely agree, I am actually on the 1 lb a week plan, and don't care about it coming off quickly, just kind of like the psychological side of fasting, to retrain your mind about hunger and food. I will take your advice though, and only do it once a month! Sounds better to me anyway I like to eat :) and work out, and with fasting there probably wouldn't be as much energy to work out!
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Fasting one day a week really won't give you the benefits of fasting, it will just make you hungry.
    Intermittent fasting is to help regulate a couple hormones and control insulin levels/sensitivity.

If you're gonna fast, I'd do it all the time with consistent fast/feeding windows (16:8 hours). I get the point of intermittent fasting the ESE method, but I don't know why on Earth you would want to go a single day without eating food.

If you're gonna fast, do it right. Not worth it to do it once a week.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options

I definitely agree, I am actually on the 1 lb a week plan, and don't care about it coming off quickly, just kind of like the psychological side of fasting, to retrain your mind about hunger and food. I will take your advice though, and only do it once a month! Sounds better to me anyway I like to eat :) and work out, and with fasting there probably wouldn't be as much energy to work out!
    good luck if you decide to do it...i tried it at one point and i just couldnt do it.
  • WomanPower79
    Options
    I really hate that the Atkins diet gets sabotaged by people who MAY not have have done it properly. Check my pictures I workout! My body has/is transforming. A lot of people want a diet....ANY DIET.. TO do the work! If you do not workout your end results will be just like what happened to your friends.... Unshaped. I eat fruit and carbs. People don't do the diet correctly and only stay in the Induction stage which is intended for TWO WEEKS! so then they say " oh the Atkins diet is unsafe! No one said eat gloobes of meat and butter silly! Wow... Apply some common sense in everything we do and we would be much further along! Atkins is not any more restrictive than the next. Once you reach the maintenance level you are eating dang near close to what folks call " CLEAN EATING". Not pissed with you.. But I think it's unfair that it is viewed off of people abusing it. I know folks(such as me) who abused weight watchers. They said fruit was a free food so I loaded up on fruit! LMAO. and do you think that's what it mean? Heck no! For every person who has a negative result for ANY diet there are 2 that have a positive. And without knowing all the variables I think it unjust to blame the plan or think people or crazy for doing it. Oh.. I had lasagna last night with some strawberries on the side for a dessert. I have NEVER been miserable on this plan. Now the first two weeks ARE hellacious! Lol. But if you are honest so is it with MOST diets because nine times out of ten you were eating terrible things and your body is going crazy! Lol. I am replying to your post but this is to maybe provide info on some of the myths about this way of living. I have a personal friend who mo longer take their diabetic meds due to this way of eating. I would never knock what someone else choses. As long as it helps you get through this journey we are on I wish you tons of success! No matter if it's ww,Atkins,south beach,north beach,low cals., whatever! Go for your goals people and let's try to be sensitive to the fact that although you may knock it... There is someone knocking what you are doing and don't even understand. So be mindful. Also EVERYTHING is not for EVERYONE. That's works the same in eating habits as well! Hoping everyone had an awesome day striving towards their goals! Good day!
  • lisarota
    lisarota Posts: 12
    Options
    I really hate that the Atkins diet gets sabotaged by people who MAY not have have done it properly. Check my pictures I workout! My body has/is transforming. A lot of people want a diet....ANY DIET.. TO do the work! If you do not workout your end results will be just like what happened to your friends.... Unshaped. I eat fruit and carbs. People don't do the diet correctly and only stay in the Induction stage which is intended for TWO WEEKS! so then they say " oh the Atkins diet is unsafe! No one said eat gloobes of meat and butter silly! Wow... Apply some common sense in everything we do and we would be much further along! Atkins is not any more restrictive than the next. Once you reach the maintenance level you are eating dang near close to what folks call " CLEAN EATING". Not pissed with you.. But I think it's unfair that it is viewed off of people abusing it. I know folks(such as me) who abused weight watchers. They said fruit was a free food so I loaded up on fruit! LMAO. and do you think that's what it mean? Heck no! For every person who has a negative result for ANY diet there are 2 that have a positive. And without knowing all the variables I think it unjust to blame the plan or think people or crazy for doing it. Oh.. I had lasagna last night with some strawberries on the side for a dessert. I have NEVER been miserable on this plan. Now the first two weeks ARE hellacious! Lol. But if you are honest so is it with MOST diets because nine times out of ten you were eating terrible things and your body is going crazy! Lol. I am replying to your post but this is to maybe provide info on some of the myths about this way of living. I have a personal friend who mo longer take their diabetic meds due to this way of eating. I would never knock what someone else choses. As long as it helps you get through this journey we are on I wish you tons of success! No matter if it's ww,Atkins,south beach,north beach,low cals., whatever! Go for your goals people and let's try to be sensitive to the fact that although you may knock it... There is someone knocking what you are doing and don't even understand. So be mindful. Also EVERYTHING is not for EVERYONE. That's works the same in eating habits as well! Hoping everyone had an awesome day striving towards their goals! Good day!
  • lisarota
    lisarota Posts: 12
    Options
    Very well said.
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

It's not really possible to lose 17 lbs in one day. It was probably water weight.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I personally do a juice fast every month or two, when I'm having IBS issues and need a good cleanse of my system. I eat raw fruits and veggies and real juice for 2 days. I don't really do it for weightloss I do it to clean my system of crap.

I just finished one yesterday and I must say I feel FANTASTIC today, I lost 7lbs but will probably gain back 2 (I usually do) but as I said for me it's not about the loss but about feeling better.